10% of college grads think Judge Judy is member of the Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by utahman130, Jan 20, 2016.

1. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

Also from the poll, conducted by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni:

• Only 28.4% of college graduates correctly identified the father of the Constitution as James Madison.
    • 59% of college students surveyed believe the father of the Constitution was Thomas Jefferson.
    • Almost 60% of college graduates failed to identify correctly a requirement for ratifying a constitutional amendment.
    • Almost 40% of college graduates didn’t know that Congress has the power to declare war.
    • Almost half could not recognize that United States senators are elected to six-year terms and representatives are elected to two-year terms.
    • Less than half of college graduates knew that presidential impeachments are tried before the U.S. Senate.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

It's heartening to see that 10% of college grads understand sarcasm.

/sarc (for the ones that don't)

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Like 75% of Americans believe angels and other sky fairies are real. Taking that in to account, none of these stats should surprise you.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Those 75% probably also believe that The Notorious R.B.G. is a gangsta.

BL.

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

6. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Judge Judy, let's see:

She's a retired judge and guess what, it's not a court. These proceedings are an arbitration (and not even fully that).

The loser in the arbitration does not pay up, the network does!

And usually in an arbitration, you can't overturn or appeal, but since she's not a judge, anymore than a retired ship captain in the navy is still the ship's skipper, her rulings could be overturned.

It's not FAKE, per se, but might as well be.

The only real thing per se is her pay which is way more than any judge. Laugh all the way to the bank.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yah there's the truly alarming stat right there. Should stop sending Andy Borowitz links to about 90% of the people I know, when I think about it.

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

We all know Judge Perd Hapley should be in the Supreme Court.

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I imagine a copy of the unedited, original questions can be found somewhere... Noting how many companies and politicians write poll questions to encourage a limited amount of desired responses nowadays, I'd be more surprised if the questions didn't involve any chicanery, subtle or otherwise, with the students truly being uneducated or misinformed.

I'd taken college courses where the final had questions that the weeks' worth of study didn't include the actual answers, or misprints...

Were the students from Texas, where Jefferson was removed from the history books?

And, of course, maybe the law professor students being tested on American history took a nap because everyone knows and is told how worthless and unprofitable history is...

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

How many liberal arts and women studies degrees were involved?

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

When I was a little kid. I used to think the POTUS's salary was hundreds of millions a year. I wonder how much adults believe they make.

12. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Probably the same number of STEM degreed.

13. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Psh, quite unlikely.

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I only expect those who study history or political science to care about this. Other than an interesting historical fact, this isn't really a useful bit of information at all.

I don't think the specifics of the process are that important for an entire population to know. Rather, the important thing is to know where to look to find the answer when it comes up. I certainly hope more than 60% would know to just look in the constitution itself.
    So more than half do know. Good!
    So more than half do know! And, I don't really care whether they know the exact term length, as long as they know there are two houses of congress and each has different term lengths.

Again, I don't think the specifics are important for an entire population to know. As long as they know where to look when the times comes, and they know that in some way congress is involved, that's enough.

15. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Why? It's not like STEM students focus on history or poli-sci any more than a "soft" degree.

Hell, someone getting a BA in Women's History would probably have more history and poli-sci credits than any STEM student.

16. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

A very wise man once said, "Specialization is for insects."

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Their methodology was poor: they only polled "safe spaces."

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Adults aren't that dissimilar. They are often incorrect with regards to what a politician can charge to an expense account.

19. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Not sure about college, but I know for damn sure in high school whenever we got a poll like this, we all filled it in however we thought it would be the most shocking to the adults, and had a good laugh afterward.

That being said, I'm perfectly fine with 10% not knowing this correctly. That's a small amount, including people who may not watch TV, or may not even have been in the USA until gaining entrance with an educational visa, or may simply be screwing with the pollster.

20. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Well, you're assuming STEM kids have time or would bother with dumb surveys like this when there's about a million other things to do.

And don't even try to say something along the lines of "liberal arts majors have so much writing to do etc." . The amount of work is not even close excluding maybe the absolute best programs in the world.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 26, 2016 ---
    And advanced civilizations. We can't all be polymaths.