10 officers shot in 24 hours

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Simgar988, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

10 police officers have been shot in the past 24 hours in the U.S. in three or four different instances. What is there to make of this? Just random chance or do they feed of eachother as incentive?

It's probably a somber day for officers, let's keep them in our thoughts.

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I can't imagine how scary and dangerous being a police officer must be. When I first started working as a defense lawyer, I saw them as adversaries and was very critical of the work they did. It didn't take very long to get to know those guys (women included) and to develop a deep respect for what they try to do. Where I worked was more rural, and everyone there owns guns. Basically, anyone who wants a gun has one, and that includes the people who are high on drugs, in the middle of an emotional fight with their wife/husband, have mental disorders or are committing more serious crimes.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Couldn't possibly be due to there being so many guns. :rolleyes:

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Of course not!

5. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Also doesn't help that every other teenager seems to hate cops because they got a speeding ticket or something.

6. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

When you grow up in an area where brutal cops hunt down teens for speeding, minor drug charges, and 'suspicious activity' while they ignore massive drug operations and human trafficking circles, you tend to hate the people who take advantage of their power.

7. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Or it's just easier to chase down an idiot driver compared to taking down a massive drug operation.

8. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

so where you live, beat cops get to choose their assignment and choose to go hunting teens huh

what backwards ass city do you live in

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If a cop is pulling over people for speeding, drug charges and investigating suspicious activity, it sounds like they're doing their job, not taking advantage of their power.

10. NickZac, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011

NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It might be just a little more complicated than that. Look at Canada and their guns; this issue is at least partly culturally ingrained. Ever listed to Dr. Dre/NWA? How about other songs about racial profiling?

See the culturally created fear that occurs in MY city

It may also have to do with the historic ethical violations of law enforcement, which has had impact on how the police are seen and trusted; this effect is made even more dramatic when you are talking about police harming minorities, which has historically been normal

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The entire USA is a pretty big place, any more specifics to the locations?

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I find it funny that you used a Jay-Z song for an example while talking about NWA and Dr. Dre.

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Well, most of the NWA lyrics I would not be able to list here as it would be entire lines of *****'s. Also, NWA was responsible for the popularization of 'F0ck The Police'.

14. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

J Dilla's got the best one

One of my favorite TV shows was The Wire, which took place in your city. Here in LA, we had that whole Rampart scandal, which they based The Shield on. There's also a movie called Rampart coming out soon. I agree, there is an anti-cop ideology going around in a lot of cities. It's part of the job though.

Most cops are good people with a tough job. I have a couple friends who became LAPD uni's and from watching them, I can say they have a lot more patience than most people. I've also noticed that for better or worse, after a year or 2 on the job, most of them develop a deep disgust for criminals and stupid people for all the crimes that get committed.

Regardless, there's a difference between speeding tickets, which are handled by unis and state cops, and major crimes, which are usually handled by detective bureaus, special units, and feds. Getting pissed at a local uni for pulling you over because you expect him to be working on massive drug operations (DEA work) or human trafficking (FBI work) is retarded.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Hey, I'm the guy who's resigned myself to this culture being violent and stupid.

I just can't help but rub it in every time it repeats itself... over... and over... and over... and over.

See you again... real soon.

16. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Sad that the abuse of Liberty Preservation Devices (aka firearms) has done this. However, its equally sad that the misuse of alcohol and motor vehicles has also caused several deaths in the same time period.

17. Tower-Union, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011

Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Look your pro gun rights, that's fine; but you can make a cogent and intelligent argument to support your views without stooping to such rhetoric.

18. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

There's no need to die for a broken system. Well, not only that, but it is better to question why what presently exists does exist rather than trying to force it to be something else without understanding why. Most importantly, do people really think X government is legitimate because it does what they want it to do and Y government is illegitimate because it does not do what they want it to do? I think there is a bit of self-deception going on if it is believed that legitimate authority must do what someone wants or that authority that does do what someone wants is in fact legitimate without further consideration. We must transition away from an era where arbitrary claims are allowed to rule the day on their own weight and transition to one where only logical argument guided by empirical methodology can help us distinguish between acceptable and unacceptable force. If people are going to do what they want to do, that is the same as "desire" and "ability" as bases for forceful action. We can do better than that because forcefulness can be held to a higher, rational standard.

19. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

One: it's protected by the constitution
    Two: because the bad guys them. Who's gonna shoot back at them when this happens?

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How do you determine who the bad guy is in the chaos after a shooting? The recent Tucson shooting almost resulted in more casualties simply because no one knew who was who.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Exactly.

Our nation is a product of our constitution, a government that abides by it and a society that believes in its values.

It isn't a product of firearms.

22. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

If everyone had a gun (or more guns) this wouldn't have happened! ;)

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

YEEEHAW!

You mean like in the Old West?

I posted in another thread the statistics for per capita gun violence back then... which was many, many, MANY times worse than what we experience today.

But for some reason, some people still imagine that more guns are what's needed.

I'd like to brand them folk with [IDIOT] right on their forehead.

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yes, yes we have lots of guns...over 200 million by the latest estimates. But smugly repeating this factoid does nothing to advance the discussion with regards to reducing crime. Nor has anyone proposed a reasonable or even remotely practicable method for legally getting rid of 200 million privately-owned firearms, assuming that course of action would even have the desired effect (I'm quite skeptical).

Anyway I'll wager that more than 10 officers in the US have been shot, or at least shot at, in the last 24 hours. That kind of stuff is rather underreported.

25. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

Solution: Sociopaths should be identified and dealt with. The unstable and senselessly violent types should be separated from society until treatment becomes available for whatever it is that ails them and they consent to undergo it. Gun control is barking up the wrong tree because guns don't decide to senselessly kill others.