10 Reasons Bush was better than Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 184550, Jan 19, 2010.

1. 184550 Guest

According to the British newspaper correspondent Nile Gardiner of 'The Telegraph' these are the 10 reasons that Bush was better than Obama.

I've read through the list and I can agree with most of them. I particularly agree with numbers 1, 4 and 7-10.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Utter clap-trap. Don't rely on the Daily Torygraph for any sensible analysis.

3. ArrowSmith macrumors regular

So you don't believe in listening to the other side, just demonize them~~:mad:

4. 184550 thread starter Guest

Perhaps. When I was in London I favored the 'The Guardian'.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I read the list and I found it to be poisonous, partisan nonsense. Should I censor my opinion?

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I read it, too. And I agree with Skunk's assessment. I couldn't disagree more with every "point" made. The writer is completely obtuse.

7. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

8. 184550 thread starter Guest

Of what? Bush over Obama? Palin over Obama? Don't flatter yourselves, I voted for Obama just the same as you did. Just because I voted for him doesn't mean I agree 100 percent with all his policies that he has chosen to institute, mainly his foreign policies, which is what is largely talked about in the article.

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Except for maybe most Iraqi women, children who wish they still had all their limbs, really, all but a small minority of the people who live there. This guy should avoid making ridiculous unsupportable statements.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Obama only got elected because Bush and his Republican bought off draft dodging whores f up'd everything they touched and left such a train wreck that the only choice was to allow the pathetic democrat party a chance to fix it. We are a split Nation because both partys suck and are excellent at it. It was simply the democrats turn to destroy our country.

Bush was so horrible it got Obama in but to say he was better then Obama is like saying the pig crap on the bottom of your right shoe is better then the horse crap on the bottom of your other shoe. Crap is crap and so are both of these partys and the candidates that float to the top of the piles.

Neither Bush or Obama ever held or created a real job as far as I can tell.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Hmmm.

So GWB was a war-monger and BHM is not and that makes him better?

5 and 6 are false. If 9 were true, why did he start an unnecessary war with Iraq?

12. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

for the love of god, stop these retarded threads. you can start them after obama's been in office 8 years, until then the point is moot.

13. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

I'm not American, so trust me Bush's foreign policies were horrendous. Absolutely atrocious and inexcusable. The only reason Americans have a half decent image worldwide today is because of Obama.

I assumed you were part of the 20 odd percent of those who supported Bush back in the day because you agreed with that morons article.

14. gibbz macrumors 68030

I should have stopped reading the list after #1. To say that a desirable quality is to never apologize or acknowledge mistakes is laughable at best. To further say that making said apologies projects weakness is just plain stupid. That is the same kind of 'with us or against us' crap that prevailed for Bush's 8 years.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Poetry. Sheer poetry. Thank you as always, DHM, for your succinct and pellucid analysis. :)

16. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Really the article boils down to, "GWB boiled a complex world down to black and white, ignoring reality, and that made me feel better because I didn't have to think as hard about what the right thing to do was."

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Pardon me while I got out and check under the bridge. I have this sneaking feeling...

18. 184550 thread starter Guest

Oh, that's right. I forgot that everyone waited until January 2009 to start the Bush hate fest. :rolleyes:

19. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

You were called un-American if you criticized him before about 2007.

20. 184550 thread starter Guest

Or racist by a certian former president. ;)

My changes in bold.

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have to agree with that. The race card was played frequently when criticism was made, particularly after he won the nomination. TBH, I found his book to be empty rhetoric and would have preferred McCain but then Palin came along so it was a no-brainer, so to speak.

22. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Odd. While I agree to an extent with DHM too, Obama's foreign policy is the best thing going for him right now IMHO.

23. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It's almost become fashionable to bash Obama. Bush was mostly untouchable during his first term because of 9/11. You were considered a terrorist sympathizer if you criticized him.

24. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

I thought it best to present a short version of the article with my reply.

1. Bush never apologised for his country
    Barack Obama has apologised for America’s past actions in practically every speech he’s given on foreign soil, and has humiliatingly referred to America’s “arrogance”. In contrast, George W. Bush’s speeches before international audiences were filled with pride for America’s history and achievements, with an uncompromising belief in the greatness of his country.

Barrack doesn’t have pride in America. He doesn’t believe in the greatness of this country and that is evident is his domestic addresses as well.

2. Bush identified and confronted evil <<< HUGE!!!
    There was something very refreshing in George W. Bush’s Reaganesque interpretation of the world in terms of good and evil. In contrast, Barack Obama has viewed the globe largely in shades of grey, with a reluctance to describe who exactly America’s enemies are, from North Korea and Iran to Islamist terrorists.
    I don’t think Barack Obama views the world in shades of grey. I think he just sides with the evil, for what purpose I don’t know.

3. Bush made the advance of freedom a key component of his agenda
    The spread of freedom and liberty was always a centerpiece of the Bush agenda. His critics derided this approach as unrealistic, or as a grandiose dream. In marked contrast, Barack Obama rarely mentions the word freedom, and the issue of human rights is far down his list of priorities.

That is because it cannot be politicized to support his radical left wing agenda.

4. Bush defended national sovereignty <<< Again HUGE !!!
    One of the biggest shifts in US foreign policy under the Obama administration has been its willingness to undermine national sovereignty, and its desire to give more power to supranational institutions such as the United Nations.

This alone should concern American more than anything else the Obama administration is doing. This will reduce America to an annex of another government, remove our freedom and subjugate us to some other authority. This nation is founded in a principle that is exactly the opposite of what he is doing.

5. Bush believed in the Special Relationship
    I don’t recall George W Bush ever throwing a bust of Churchill out of the Oval Office or giving the British Prime Minister an insulting pack of DVDs. Under Obama, the Anglo-American alliance has reached its lowest point since the Suez Crisis of 1956, a damning indictment of his world leadership. Barack Obama cannot even bring himself to mention Britain in a major policy address or acknowledge the sacrifice of British forces in Afghanistan.

Consider reason #2. He can’t apologize to our enemies and embrace our allies at the same time.

6. Bush cultivated key allies
    But he did invest a great deal of time and effort in cultivating a strong personal relationship with several key European leaders, including Tony Blair, Jose Maria Aznar and Silvio Berlusconi. President Obama has largely ignored building alliances with European heads of state, and seems indifferent towards the transatlantic alliance.

This is a mystery to me. But I fear Barrack has a hidden agenda we have yet to see that has something to do with this poor leadership.

8. Bush believed in fighting a global war
    One of the gravest mistakes of Obama’s first year in office has been his reluctance to describe the conflict against al-Qaeda and its backers as a global war.

Back to the hidden agenda on this one as well. Ignore the global war is like the frog ignoring the scorpions stinger. (If you know the story of the Frog and the Scorpion.)

9. Bush did not compromise US security
    The Obama administration’s zealous drive to dismantle the Bush administration’s infrastructure for dealing with al-Qaeda, including the promised closure of the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, is having zero effect on lessening the threat the United States faces from Islamist terrorists.

This is just bizzare. After 911 we had to look back at thirty years of attacks on America by Islamic terrorist. Al-Qaeda being a large majority of those attacks. Barrack and company blame 7 years of George Bush’s war on terror for creating more terrorist. It the stuff grade school children make up when asked their opinion on current events.

10. Bush did not send mixed messages in the face of the enemy
    A constant theme of Barack Obama’s speeches has been to describe the war in Iraq as a “war of choice”, underscoring his own intense opposition to the war, hardly a message of support for the more than 100,000 U.S. soldiers still stationed in the country.

In all honesty Barrack isn’t sending mixed messages either. He is clearly saying the United States has to apologize and we were wrong to protect or life, liberty and sovereignty against them.

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The problem here is that Bush failed to identify what was staring at him from the bathroom mirror in the morning. "Evil" truly is a matter of perspective. The fact that some guys seek to do us harm because they believe we are "evil" and so we believe they are evil because they want to do us harm does not have a simple answer. The other guys must believe that we are "evil" for some particular reason, and it is most likely not a single reason. The deciding factor against Bush was that he chose to use the situation to his own advantage instead of quietly dealing with the problem
    This one is pretty big. Bush did more to compromise US security by his reckless cowboy grandstanding and martial actions than any good he might have done. The more enemies you make, the more you have to struggle to defend yourself, against a specific enemy that only gains strength the more you attack it.