10 shot in Detroit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

3. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yeah, violence has nothing to do with economic conditions!

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Do their murder numbers. Stack up ?
    In Indiana IIRC you can shoot cops if they enter your home illegally

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

So it's ok to kill if you are poor? How many can I shoot? I'm broke right now

6. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Single-party Detroit is effectively bankrupt. Business and industry fled Detroit long ago and they have no tax base. They need new sources of revenue.

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Detroit has always been a tough city the economic decline and population reduction are going to make it worse until they can reinvent themselves. That said I've always liked Detroit and I visit when I can and always root for the Tigers, Wings, or Lions if they're playing.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Detroit has been a "no democracy zone" since the emergency manager has been put in place in 2013 (who promptly went about selling off anything of value to the citizenry and the commons). It doesn't matter if the mayor or city council have R's or D's next to their name, they aren't in charge in the slightest.

10. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Funny how there is no media coverage about the shootings this weekend in Detroilet and Philadelphia....

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I hate the Lions (Packers fan here) and after October (and another miserable season) I will likely execute a long-overdue transition from the Mariners back to the team of my youth, the Detroit Tigers.

The once-great city of Detroit is a sad commentary on our long decline in manufacturing.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

NAFTA , TPP will be the final nail in that coffin if it passes.

13. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Detroit looks like a third world country.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

There hasn't been an "R" in Detroit for decades. Detroit continues to send their senile and corrupt Congressman back to Washington, even when his wife sat in federal prison.

That is true. You should hear my parents talk about the Detroit of the 1950s. Then it was a sprawling, bustling, cosmopolitan center of arts, culture, and of course American production. Today, it's not even a ghetto; much of the city is completely empty and is slowing disappearing into the undergrowth as it returns to a primeval natural state.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's the perfect example of Evolve or Die. As bad as it's been for us, globalization is an inevitable outcome of our modern economy. We have to keep ahead or move aside, because fondly reminiscing over our glorious recent past is going to do all of jack and crap for us in the long run.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

EVOLVE into what? NAFTA sent all the work to third world countries , you can't compete with them wage wise at all. hell Mexico can't even compete with China & their wages. 60 cents per hour for a certified mig welder, how the hell do you "evolve" to beat that? even robots are not that cheap to operate.

17. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

It's always nice to see people who don't know anything about Detroit, or its surrounding suburbs+have never been there talk about Detroit just based on BS media reports.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Keep in mind that China might be selling out its long term prosperity for short term gains by doing this. What they're doing is very similar to what manufacturers tried doing during our Gilded Age, and we all know how well that turned out.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

working out great for them, its been doing so for a while. the U.S in the other hand.........

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

For the last decade or two it has. That's not to say that their continued prosperity is assured, nor that our current dip is all but set in stone. Markets change, as do people and their attitudes.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

well, I am all out of credit with the Psychic friends network, otherwise I could see into the future, TPP will finish killing what NAFTA started.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not to defend the incident, butt should be noted and once again pointed out to everyone:

They are not criminals until they break the law.

BL.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

and minority report was just a movie.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

You don't have to see in the future to use history as a reference.