10 Shot in front of Empire State Building

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mrkramer, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/24/shooting-reported-outside-empire-state-building/

There don't seem to be too many details yet, but this is getting ridiculous. What is this the third or fourth mass shooting in the past two months? At what point do we decide too many lives have been lost and we need to restrict access to guns?

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

According to CNN - 2 people are dead, including the shooter. They are saying the woman who was killed was shot in the "crossfire".

Horrible, horrible news.

3. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I am definitely overparsing, but I am a little concerned about the use of the word "crossfire" there. If they were sure the bullet came from the gunman, they would have just said he shot her, wouldn't they?

4. Moyank24, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012

Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

At this point, they probably have no idea. But they are definitely using that terminology in the case of the woman who was killed - that could just be a CNN term, though.

Edit:
    Seems like NY news agencies are reporting the shooter as a disgruntled employee.

5. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

The 3rd mass shooting in all of 2 months? We have to do something about gun laws. It's turning into the f@#king wild west!!!

6. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

How much more restricted can guns be than in NYC?

7. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

The guns used in NYC crimes are not purchased in New York. They're purchased at gun shows in states with lax laws and brought here across state lines. We need national gun laws.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Can someone tell Bloomberg the proper way to hold a press conference. And can reporters learn how to ask proper questions. You would think that the biggest media market would know how to do things right.

----------

1 person dead does not equal mass shooting.

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

That was actually very entertaining.

And to clarify earlier reports:

The gunman apparently shot a former co-worker in the head (I'm not sure why they were reporting it was a woman earlier-the murder victim was male).

He fled the scene, a construction worker pointed him out to police - the gunman pulled a gun and the officers shot and killed him. They weren't very clear on how the others were injured - but there is a possibility that they were injured in crossfire - it will be part of the investigation

10. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

2 people dead and 9 injured by gun fire IS a mass shooting.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

We don't know who shot the other 9 people. It could have been cops opening 20 rounds into the suspect.

12. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

If the 9 were shot by police trying to take one person down that is ridiculous.

----------

Because the cops did it that makes it better?

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Do you want to take their guns away too?

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    If trained cops can miss imagine a city full of guys with concealed carry licenses. Chaos.

15. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I live and work in NYC and if I were shot by police while they played wild wild west trying to take someone down I'd sue the city.

Just like police aren't supposed to do high speed chases on crowded streets they shouldn't go shooting up a street corner filled with commuters and tourist trying to take out someone.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well if you were just shot at you might pump your full weapon into the guy too.

17. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I did not say take their guns away. How about some accountability and restraint. If it takes multiple cops shooting 9 people to take down 1 person there is a big problem.

----------

Seriously? How old are you?

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just like the reporting, we don't know who shot who or how many people were shot. Lots of backseat reporters here.

19. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Bloomberg said the others were shot by the cops. I just watched the press conference.

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

According to Bloomberg, there were 2 police officers involved.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Bloomberg says a lot of things.:p He will next blame it on that large soda the gunman was drinking.

22. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Well, to be fair, he said it was a possibility and they were investigating further. Without looking at forensics how would they know who shot who?

I thought it was telling, though, that he mentioned more than once that they had it on video and the gunman clearly pointing his weapon at the police.

23. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Exactly my point.
    Agreed

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And cops are trained to subdue a suspect, and when one points a gun at you how many chances are you going to give him to get a shot off.

25. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I noticed that to. Like he needed to cover for them firing on a busy intersection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.