10-year-old girl shoots sister with father's service gun

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Feb 14, 2015.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

the girl was 10 years old so should have known better if her father taught her. But he failed too. But cops don't need to know how to handle firearms
    http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268743/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=fdXqGIk9
    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) - Police say the 10-year-old daughter of a California sheriff's lieutenant shot her younger sister with their father's gun in an apparent accident.

Fresno Police Lt. Joe Gomez says the 8-year-old girl was shot Friday in the torso and is in stable condition.

Gomez tells the Fresno Bee (http://www.fresnobee.com/2015/02/13/4378028_fresno-girl-10-accidentally-shoots.html?rh=1) that the girls' father was getting ready for work and had removed the magazine on his handgun before leaving it on a bed while he got ready for work.

He says the 10-year-old grabbed the gun and discharged a bullet left in the chamber hitting the younger girl.

Gomez says the lieutenant immediately called 911 for an ambulance and notified Fresno police.

Madera County Sheriff Jay Varney says the gun used was the employee's service weapon and that the officer would not be placed on paid administrative leave.

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    You have absolutely no knowledge of the circumstances, so don't be so quick to judge and condemn, even if that is your favorite pastime.

3. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

so what he he did is ok because somehow it was a good idea? or maybe she was protecting dad from her sister? tell me how this is ok.

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Charge the cop with negligence and failure to secure his loaded firearms. It is firearm safety 101 to make sure that there isn't a round in the chamber.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The phrase familiarity breeds contempt comes to mind here. I think the fact his daughter ended up being shot by a gun he was treating a little too nonchalantly is punishment enough. I doubt he'll make that same mistake twice.

Also, the 10 year old should be tried as an adult.

6. Anitramane macrumors 6502

No the 10 year old shouldn't be tried as an adult. Looking at the list over what age a person may be charged for a crime in court, the US looks like a thirld world country. I've said it before and I'm saying it again, when my country was as young as the US we were burning women because they were witches. I think in 200 years the US will have cought up to rich europe of today.

7. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

he feels sorry so all is well.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How is he not put on paid leave? His service weapon shot his kid. Do we really want this guy on the streets.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

IMHO this was a tragic accident, and nothing more.

We have to accept that law enforcement officers in this country need to have firearms. And that by custom these officers take their service weapons home with them, rather than checking them into a secure storage area at the end of their shift. The rationale being, I guess, that LEOs need to be able to defend themselves against criminals they may have angered as part of their duties.

Having one of your daughters shoot another seems like a pretty traumatic experience. I don't necessarily know than any additional punishment or sanction is warranted.

But I would certainly hope that it spurs law enforcement agencies at every level to redouble the firearms safety training their officers receive. And that civilian gun owners also consider the dreadful risks of leaving a firearm unattended, even momentarily.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

What else can you do? He removed the magazine, but forgot to check for a bullet in the chamber. It's negligent, though not grossly so. Tragic, though it could've been worse.

It is the very definition of a harsh lesson learned.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And if you were Joe Smith and did the same thing would the cops say, oh no biggie he feels sorry.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I can't think of any charges that could be pressed in a situation like this. There's no malice, no crime, just a momentary lapse of judgment. He thought ahead enough to remove the magazine, but neglected to take that one extra step.

It's something that could happen to anyone who deals with a weapon on a daily basis.

13. samiwas macrumors 65816

Wait...what?

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Negligence with a firearm around minors.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's hard to be sarcastic in a gun thread. :p

----------

It's not complete negligence. If he left the magazine in, then yeah, I'd agree. But he just forgot to check the chamber. It's a small mistake that lead to steep consequences.

We can't hold people accountable for not being 100% diligent 100% of the time, even when it comes to something as dangerous as firearms. This is doubly true concerning the sheriff here. The gun is a part of his uniform. Putting the gun aside while he gets ready would be a rote habit by that point. It's unfortunate that the one day he forgot to check the chamber was the one day his 10 year old daughter decided to pick up the gun, and shoot his other daughter with it.

The incident in this situation serves as the punishment. He'll never forget to do it again.

16. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

What this really shows is that unsecured guns in a house especially with children are dangerous no matter who owns them.
    Why is it not punishable to be careless with a gun? So he feels bad that's all the punishment he needs? I guess if you are careless driving and kill some one often all that you get is a ticket.

As far as repeatability I remember one cop who was a safety instructior that shot himself twice

17. stroked Suspended

stroked

Leaving a round in the chamber, is complete negligence. The little girl getting shot, proves that.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What if his daughter was killed with one shot. Would he of been charged then?

19. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

Doubtful it does happen but most of the time not

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

He has to watch his daughter suffer through the hospital, and the slow recovery. A process that'll serve as constant reminder of his momentary lapse in judgment.

There was no real crime committed. The accident didn't come about due to crass indifference or disrespect for the power of the weapon. The consequences he now have to face are punishment enough.

----------

I'm not saying it's okay. I'm just arguing against the people who believe something MUST be done. That he needs to be made an example of.

Let's say he's gone through the process of getting dressed 2000 times by now. Every day, he pops the magazine out of his gun, and checks the chamber before throwing it on his bed. He's been pretty diligent about it.

He's done it so many times, that it becomes a subconscious thing. Like I said earlier, a rote process. One day, he pops the magazine out, but forgets to check the chamber. Maybe something was weighing on his mind. Maybe he was in a hurry. Unfortunately for the entire family, his 10 year old daughter picks that day to wander into the bedroom, picks up the gun, and accidentally shoots it, wounding his other daughter.

Now I'm far from being one of the so called ammosexuals, who believe that any accident involving a gun should be ignored or glossed over cuz MAH RIGHTS! There are a lot of people out there who deserve to have the book thrown at them because they're irredeemable idiots, and their idiocy ended up getting people hurt.

...but this isn't one of those times. It was an otherwise responsible man having a momentary lapse in judgment, and should be treated as such.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Hope the kid recovers fast with no last no damage . Guy got complacent. His kids are old enough to know better unless he didn't train them