100,000 Superbowl fans die in house fire.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iJohnHenry, Mar 3, 2009.

1. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Domestic violence is an unfortunately a global phenomena. The problem is that while the laws might protect women, enforcing those laws is lax in many countries. :(

3. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Fixed that for you.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Damn I was going to make a most excellent joke about 100,000 people and only one bathroom, but it had to be ruined by a serious, depressing topic.

Well, if you can't beat them, join them...

....<runs>....

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

What on earth are you talking about?

Are you suggesting that women commit acts of domestic violence against their husbands as often as husbands do against their wives?

6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

No I believe he would be saying that while the majority of it is male on female like anything else there is more than enough of it the other way around that to blame males entirely for it is nonsense thus he corrected the post to be gender neutral reflecting this reality...

7. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Are you suggesting the only acceptable model of DV is a man who hits his wife/girlfriend? The scars on my arm and hand would disagree with you.

http://www.mediaradar.org/docs/UN-Hides_Truth-of-DV.pdf

Do some googling and you'll find some interesting things, such as while men may be more likely to hit, woman are more likely to use implements. Remember Mary Winkler? Men are also less likely to seek and/or receive help for a multitude of reasons. Must-arrest laws in many states usually mean the man in the situation goes to jail no matter what if the police are called, so a lot of male victims keep quiet thinking it to be the lesser of two evils. Additionally, there are far fewer services available for abused men than there are for abused women. A recent California case which you can read about here highlights this injustice. There are links at the close of the article if you want to pursue some further reading.

8. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

This thread and the post above this have been very enlightening. Thank you both for posting this great, and often disturbing, information.

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Interesting studies. Sorry to hear about your troubles. You're right, women of course can and do commit acts of domestic violence. However, I doubt the "equality" of the abuse in all cultures around the world, and in the context of this thread, India.

The article you link to, for example, is very misleading in the way it uses its sources. It seems to ignore the second part of conclusions of the studies it references. For example:

The article you link to only points to the "physical aggression" data, not the injury data.

Also, the grouping of "Western" and "non-Western" countries seems a little odd, to say the least. As if South Korea is more similar to India than it is to the U.S. Further, they are misrepresenting data from some studies, especially the study that included India:

10. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

must be a pretty big house to fit 100,000 people in it...

LOL@ "if you can't beat them, join them"

11. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

This is why when you call customer service, for anything, it's a good thing that they have call centers in India.

American business is destroying the culture of "a woman's reason to exist is to please a husband and manage his home and children. she is her father's property until her father pays another family to marry their son, at which time she becomes her husband's property."

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yes. There is lots of evidence that suggests that women are just as likely to assault their partners as men are.

Even more interesting is that according to the US Department of Health and Human Services women are responsible for the majority of child abuse cases. A fact which the NSPCC in Britain backs up.

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/pubs/cm99/cpt3.htm

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Can you provide me with that evidence?

As for the child abuse studies, if women are twice as likely as men to abuse children (61.4% of cases vrs 33.6% of cases), does this really mean that they are more likely to abuse children than men? What percentage of care in these cases is provided by women? How many of these cases are single parent households?

14. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I think the official UK figure is that 1 in 6 domestic violence victims are men.

15. No1451 macrumors 6502

Seeing as how there is a higher case percentage for women, yes they are. The situation doesn't make a difference, the fact is that it HAPPENS, not why. Statistics don't take into account cause.

At any rate this is a fairly depressing topic, to think that things like this are so prevalent and I don't just mean domestic abuse, ANYONE setting anyone else on fire is terrible, makes no difference that they were in a relationship. It scares me to think just how violent and cruel we are capable of being as a species.

16. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

In a relationship, perhaps, but not as you and I interpret the word.

17. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

You're not thinking this through. If child abuse happens disproportionally in single-parent homes and most single parent homes have a mother and no father, that would account for the difference in percentages. In other words, I would wager that the percentage of mothers and fathers who abuse children in two-parent households are not all that different and the percentage of mothers and fathers who abuse children in single-parent households are not all that different. What accounts for the difference in abuse when the statistics are aggregated is probably that there are a lot more single-parent homes with a mother than there are single parent homes with a father.

If you also add in the fact that in some two-parent homes fathers spend little time with their children, these numbers make a lot more sense. Just looking at the numbers and saying oh, women are more likely to abuse their children is simply misinterpreting data.