$100 Billion in Pentagon savings!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Jan 4, 2011.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

For months the Obama administration has been working with the Pentagon to cut costs and wasteful spending. Results speak for themselves:

Link

Didn't the GOP claim that Democrats did not have fiscal responsibility... isn't that why Democrats were pushed OUT of office? I'm confused. :confused:

2. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

You're confused?

3. Queso macrumors G4

$100 milliard over 5 years? Doesn't even scratch the surface of what they could cut. Propaganda exercise is the phrase that comes to mind.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Give me a break guys. For either side to claim fiscal responsibility is laughable.

$12 billion in cuts from a $685 billion budget. Not even 2%.

And damn that Nancy Pelosi for starting 2 unfunded wars, cutting taxes during wartime and an unfunded prescription drug program.

5. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

100 Billion with a B.

Hey FP, care to point me to all those "liberal budgets" GWB signed? I can point you to the Bush budgets that he proposed.

Link

Oh wait a second, I get it. You blame the liberals for everything because in your mind, GWB and the Republicans are not real conservatives. I get it... finally!

6. Queso macrumors G4

100 milliard with an M ;)

7. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ohhh, I missed that. My bad.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Returning to Clinton era tax rates would have reduced the deficit by approx 800 billion, but the Republican Party would have none of that.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

$100 billion is still nothing to sniff at. 2% may not be the greatest cut ever, but its a start.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Didn't you get the memo? The new definition of "liberal" is anything that fivepoint disagrees with. ;)

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Yay, so this definitely kills the future production of the F-22 Raptor. Who needs air superiority anyway? We can still get by with planes from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

12. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Link? Nothing in the article said anything about cuts to the F-22 program. I hope we're not cutting that plane. It's really an amazing airplane.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, all those dog fights we're losing in our two wars point to a need for the F-22.

14. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm not very concerned about using the F-22 in the wars we are in now... I am concerned that other countries are developing better and better fighters and stealth / stealth beating technology.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Is there any chance of a war with those countries without it turning into a total stalemate with the worst of both worlds?

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Many of our military and leaders still have a Cold War mentality. We build weapons that branches of the military don't want all in the name of corporate welfare jobs at Boeing, Northrup Grumman and MD. If we really got our military spending under control, we'd have millions unemployed. In other words, we're ****ed.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Is that a bigger mistake than the V-22 Osprey?

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Eisenhower sat us down as he left and had a serious and frank conversation with the country about this, and we just ignored it completely.

The man was a 5 star general for gods sake, its not like he was some no-nothing that just had a grudge against the military.

Looking throughout our history and seeing the MAJOR lessons that we as a country flat out missed or ignored makes me think one thing about those in the world that think Americans are stupid: in a certain sense, they may be right.

19. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Great! Now cut the needless $30+ billion that has been pledged to Israel over the next decade (not to mention the many other nutjob regimes out there) and the savings will grow even more! And who knows it might actually lead to world peace as well.

20. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I think it may be one of the worst military decisions ever. The Osprey is a prime example of how newer war technologies spiral out of control cost wise, which hurts everyone.

The F-22 is a multi-role, 5th generation, stealth fighter. It can do numerous missions other than dog fighting. While dog fighting may be irrelevant to the current 2 wars, stealth technology is not, and the F-22 takes stealth technology to a whole new level (IIRC I read radar signature was the size of a golfball).

Also, at least 5 other countries are developing 5th generation multi-role fighters (one is the F-35 Lighting 2 which is a multi-country production). While I feel military spending is out of control, the current fighters the US has (other than the F-18 Super Hornet (most recent of the F18s)) are old, somewhat outdated and may have questionable reliability and safety.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/06/gates.budget.cuts/index.html
    The F-22s ending of production has been in sight of the Obama administration for some time. I imagine the cuts in 2011 are to help with reelection.

21. Queso macrumors G4

At a guess I'd say they're more to help the US national debt, which has spiralled out of control over the last two decades. Unless drastic spending cuts and tax rises are brought in your country will eventually collapse under the weight of its own debt. Is that what you want for your kids?

22. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Why invest in military technology?

Link

[​IMG]

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's amazing that even when faced with the need to scale back our obscenely bloated military, how easy it is to be driven by our inner eight-year old.

But it's so coool! :rolleyes:

24. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hey, if my inner eight-year old has to choose between a really cool airplane and an ugly tank... or a stupid war...

25. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The F-22 and a few 4.5 gen fighters have been a major means of pioneering new technologies that are used in the civilian sector. Some of these include: pollution reduction, better plane aerodynamics, better monitoring systems, better avionics which reduce the chance of accidents, and stealth technology (which may have use for us down the road). Cutting a small amount of DoD administrative overhead costs, the F-22 program could continue.

5th gen fighters have characteristics that not only make it almost impossible to destroy in a dog fight by previous planes (simulated tests have found a group of F-22s are capable of destroying an entire squadron of F15/16s, and it was like a 1:15 ratio). As other countries develop 5th gen fighters, there is a need for the US to have them as well. It is very likely that the 5th gen fighter being produced in India will be superior to the F-35 Lighting II and possibly have the capability of the F-22. Sooner or later, someone with bad intentions is going to get a hold of a 5th gen and if we are not prepared, it will be bad.

Finally, by having our own 5th gen planes, we can develop better technology to track other 5th gen fighters, as most 5th gens have stealth technology which is so far advanced that the radar signature is virtually non-existent.

Look at the timing of major initiative programs. Most politicians push them around the time of their bid for re-election. Scaling back the DoD is also a very good strategic campaign. Why? Because as people have said, military spending has gone haywire. Also, a lot of people are against current military actions and decreasing budget can imply a reduction in military activity (if it does or not is debatable). Finally, as we all know, the US is up debt's creek without a paddle. I'm not saying if it is right or not as I know little about military functions other than veteran affairs. I would argue that any effort by virtually any politician to get the US finances out of this &&&& storm is a plus and commendable.

Keep in mind that $100 billion is about ONE-HALF of 1 percent of the national debt.

Now with all of the DoD yearly spending is around $700 billion, so reducing it by $12 billion may have little to no affect on the DoD, but as people have said, it is a start and in many ways the principle.

Overall US defense yearly spending is in excess of 1 trillion dollars (1,000,000,000,000 per year) and so we use over $2.5 billion a day on our military. The yearly defense budget is actually higher than about 30 country's entire GDPs