100+ CEOs promise no campaign donations

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samiwas, Aug 26, 2011.

1. samiwas macrumors 65816

100+ CEOs promise no campaign donations

I find this very interesting. Not sure if there is an ulterior motive behind it, but we shall see. I'd also be interested in seeing the full list of CEOs who are taking part and their political sides.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...I don't buy it for a second. It's a stunt.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Talk to me when they get the CEOs of Chase, Citicorp, BoA, Wells Fargo, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley etc. to sign on.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

while in theory it is great. Now I do not believe it.

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Things must be bad if those paying the bribes are pissed off that the recipients are not doing what they are being paid for.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, does this mean that only the CEO's won't donate, or the companies they are employed by won't? Never mind, I'm far too cynical to see this as anything other than a BS PR stunt.

Campaign financing is so full of loopholes that it doesn't matter what a donor says, there is no way to hold them to it.

7. samiwas thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, this is kind of what I was thinking. A few more-liberal-style CEOs seem to be the ones signing on. I want to see some real beef.

I agree that it's more a PR stunt than anything...but I guess something is better than nothing. :rolleyes:

8. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Welcome to the PRSI, where 100 chief executive officers promising not to make campaign donations gets the following ideologically-handicapped defensiveness:

One hundred CEOs promising to abuse puppies would not garner such swift condemnation here.

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Given the responses in the "Warren Buffet: raise my taxes" thread, you think they'd be real big on "empty" promises. I guess they were the wrong sort of CEOs.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

and do you have a view, a comment about the topic, or are you only ringing your cowbell again?

as for the topic of the thread, it seems unlikely to have any effect on campaign donations

11. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Yes. I think it is good.

Oh. Good point. It isn't worth trying.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

lack of effect doesn't necessarily imply "not worth trying"

13. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

So, then, to use your question: do you have an opinion on what they are doing?

I mean, in the realm of all things, nothing really has an effect on anything, so that's a bit of a non-response, don't you think? At least cowbell adds a '70s rock sound. Check out "Don't Fear The Reaper."

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

and you claim to be opposed to rhetorical question nonsense.....maybe you need more cowbell in your attempts to be snarky :p

I already gave you my opinion

15. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

You n-a-i-l-e-d me.

[​IMG]

Toodles.

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

tish-tosh.....you make it too easy

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Corporations don't do anything unless something is in it for them- yes or no? That question has nothing to do with ideology. That reality. This is PR stunt- nothing more, nothing less.

18. iJohnHenry, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, as Devil's Advocate here, perhaps they realize, that at some point in the not to distant future, the [​IMG], and the life-style that they have worked so hard to achieve might be forfeit.

At least that would be some sort of enlightened self-interest.

I don't think they really want to leave the country, to join their money over-seas. ;)

19. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

CEOs promise to halt campaign contributions and you call it a PR stunt and dismiss it.

Old Navy offers up gay pride t-shirts as a PR stunt and you run out and buy one quick as you can.

You're so consistent.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

1. Again- do corporations do anything unless there is something in it for them?
    2. If I want to buy a shirt, why does it matter if it's a PR stunt to sell shirts? Of course it was. That was obvious. BTW- I didn't buy one because they were out of them.

Bottom line- corporations do not do things unless there is something in it for them.

21. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I never said corporations operate out of altruism, but you present an inconsistent argument when you denounce one for what it is and go out of your way to [attempt to] endorse the other for what it is.

Unless, of course, you're planning on patronizing the companies of those CEO's after work, since you've come out against all the Washington BS that these CEOs are [in theory] standing up against. I'll need receipts.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Look- we all know corporations buy off politicians. One can only assume the politicians are doing what they want them to. For them to now come out and do this comes across to me as quite disingenuous.

On the other hand, if a company like Old Navy does what they did with Pride, which was send a supportive message while they benefit as well, then good for them and us. I see no inconsistency here as we're talking different issues.

23. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Absolutely right. And, by having 100 of them sign up at once, they are hoping to avoid getting held up by lobbyists who otherwise would be insisting right about now that if they wanted access, they had better pay up. Safety in numbers. I don't know if there is a left/right/center agenda hidden in it or not.

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The obvious solution is to ban political contributions from any entity, corporate, partnership, LLC or union, and severely limit individual contributions (or eliminate them too).

Public funding of elections along with FCC mandate regarding free airtime is what we need, but for very partisan reasons, we the people are being screwed.

25. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Oh, yee-ha. Whole Foods and Zipcars (?) aren't giving any cash. I'm sure their non-contributions are going to cause the whole political machine to grind to a halt. :rolleyes: I guess the Mrs. Grace L. Ferguson Airline and Storm Door Company was too busy to sign the pledge.

Wake me when Exxon signs up.