100 MB of data in one evening?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nhamp07, Nov 6, 2011.

1. nhamp07 macrumors regular

Got an email from AT&T that said my wifes account went over her 200 MB.

Shes a stay at home mom on wifi. I checked her usage online it showed 100MB posted last night at 933. The previous post was 11kb at 5.

What the hell did her phone do while we were at home to post a 100 MB usage???

We have the 4s.

2. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I've been having problems with my phone kicking itself off of wifi and only noticing when something is extremely slow to load. Perhaps have her check to see if something like that is happening.

4. gloryunited macrumors 6502

From what I've read and heard, we might better turn off mobile data to be safe.

Her wifi network at home may be inconsistent. Perhaps check for firmware update for the router as well?

5. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

6. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

i could go 1gb every night. love having unlimited and utilizing 4g hspa+ speeds

7. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

I fail to see how this is helpful to the OP.

Anyway,

Perhaps the phone "forgets" the wifi signal and switches over to data. I would also take gloryunited's advice and check for a firmware update on the router. I haven't noticed this happening on my phone at all, but I guess I haven't really been paying much attention to it either.

8. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

Does it l like I care?

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

Who is your carrier? If you used 30GB in a month you would defiantly get throttled. But then again you said 1gb and not 1GB so your probably talking about bits. Since 1gb equals 128MB you definitely could use 1gb every night without any issues.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Sometimes home wifi goes out at night so your phone will go over to 3G.

I noticed here at home when the internet does go out it almost always goes out at night. Reason the internet will go out at night is that is when ISP will tend to push out updates for their routers and there switching stations so that is when they do go out.
    Problem is when they go out your phone see it and then will switch over to 3G. Problem with 3G is that it is fast enough for you not to notice when it flips over to it.

11. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I had 900 MB in one data transfer alone. Still have no clue what it was and it was late at night while I was sleeping. This was with the 4S............

Thank goodness I have unlimited data!!

12. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Do you have your phone set to send diagnostic data to apple? It comes pre-set to that setting.

13. andross77 macrumors regular

There's no way you could have a "Phantom" almost 1GB data transfer on your phone. That size is either a movie (ie pron) or a huge 3d game (ie fifa 12 or modern warfare).

you don't just get 900mb download updates or notifications...

14. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I do.

----------

No movie or games....

This transfer was done while I was asleep. The 4S was on the desk, plugged in and wifi was on.....go figure.

15. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I don't think the diagnostic data can account for it, but turn it off and see what happens.

16. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Where in Settings is that particular one located?

17. andross77 macrumors regular

If that's the case i would do a complete restore of your phone. Unlimited data or not (and i have unlimited data on verizon) you do not want a phone RANDOMLY downloading 900mb file(s). That could be a very malicious app you aren't aware of.

18. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I find myself in a similar situation on a much smaller scale. My husband and I both have iPhones. I use mine LOTS. He does not. I have tons of apps. He does not. His data creeps up (he has the 200mb plan). Mine does not.

Just this morning I took mine for a morning run and read email. He left his plugged in and on wifi.

His has downloaded 4mb. Mine has not.

I've checked all his settings and can't figure it out.

19. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I'll watch the usage closely. It appears to have slowed down some since the first of the new month. I've used 476 MB since 11/1.

I'm on unlimited so it's not critical or more costly for me.

20. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I no speak english well as!

to the OP: I have experienced that aswell, idk what the problem is i wonder if it is maybe a software error...

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

here is the problem it seems. make sure you have it unchecked. no real need for it anyway.
    [​IMG]

22. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

23. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Sorry if someone already answered this but I didn't feel like reading all of them...
    AT&T doesn't post data usage for every little usage. Otherwise that portion of the phone bill or account would be a mile long. From what I understand it posts for certain portions of time. So that number you saw isn't for one transfer, it's for all the transfers that occurred between the time shown and the last time shown.

24. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

My Cousin who is on my plan got the 90% warning 6 days before the new cycle started which never happened before. So I thought it was iMessage and she turned it off. But I am going to have her turn iMessage back on and then turn off the documents and data option.

25. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I'm on the phone with AT&T now, as my husband's phone's usage is still going up. While on the charger, on wifi, not being used.

mail:manual fetch
    diagnostics data: not sent
    iCloud: on only for calendar, address book and find my phone
    iCloud documents and data: off.
    wireless sync: off
    2 apps other than stock Apple apps.