100 Reasons Why Climate Change is NATURAL

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Dec 16, 2009.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Interesting information... your thoughts?
    Also, any comments regarding Al Gore's assertion that the entire Northern Ice Cap could be melted within 5-10 years?

2. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

The second 50 reasons:

3. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I needed a good laugh.:D

The plain truth is our climate is getting warmer because of one primary reason:

cows

which are bred in record numbers...

for their hamburger meat...

which is mostly made for one client...

McDonalds...

The polar ice cap will not melt as fast as Al Gore says, it may take a decade more than that. The damage will not be in the hundreds of trillions, just a cool hundred trillion. And McDonald's will take over China. That is a fact. OK, I added in the last fact, but this was a conservative talk show's hosts idea on the whole thing.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Ah, the Daily Express. Britains best newspaper.

On the day hurricane Katrina hit, and there was also a huge car bomb in Iraq guess what they had on the front cover as their headline?

1 Million immigrants

So they should be taken extremely seriously indeed.

Yep, there are lots of branches of McDonald's in China.

5. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

If only we could invent a way to keep everyone from farting and exhaling.

Excited to see your responses to the actual content of the 100 points, instead of your sad red herring argument. Unless of course you'd also agree that we eliminate all information posted to this forum from the Huffington Post or the Daily Kos?

6. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

And here's the kicker on the McDonald's cow theory.

I understand somebody from the far right saying this to diffuse the automobile/CO2 argument. But I have met some people from the far left who also believe this, and that McDonald's, who is the ultimate expression of capitalism, is going to end the world with CO2 from their cows. :)

7. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

101. Forecast for Copenhagen: 'Heavy snowfall'. Since the dawn of recorded data on earth from man's perspective, we humans have witnessed both global cooling and global warming, in cycles, following roughly predictable cycles. Based on last years record cold spell in China, and this year's record cold so far in North America and in Europe, we are, in fact, in a cooling rather than a warming cycle. Despite this, loons flock to Copenhagen, in full view of stark evidence to the contrary, and promote some incoherent bunk about "global warming theory" to an assemblage of radical tree huggers and climatologists whose data has been shown to be fraudulent. Can we do anything else other than laugh at these eco-nuts?

As a snake oil preacher, the Goracle (aka ManBearPig) is a salesman par excellence; having lost the 2000 presidential election here in this nation, this failed politician with zero ecological, climatological, or environmental education or experience, hooked his huckster wagon to the European eco-movement lunacy and developed a PowerPoint presentation that led pathos and fiction to the plight of stranded polar bears in the Arctic (not telling everyone that polar bear populations were actually increasing) and assembled the very worst eco-terrorists behind his theoretical cause of 'global warming' to cash in on research and environmental grants. I admire the Goracle only his hutzpah - it is really quite amazing that the owner of the largest and most inefficient home in Tennessee could take a private jet around Europe and preach environmental bat crazyness... that takes guts to do it with a straight face!

Cow farts are heating the earth? You want time to work a less ridiculous theory or you want to stay with that absurd one?

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well jeez, we start of with that for #1? :rolleyes:

I'm done with this crap, if you guys want to just deny everything even against a mountain of actual scientific data, I guess it just says a lot about you doesn't it?

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm waiting for Windows to install so even though its a crazy right wing source I'll have a go at wading through some of the points.

2) Man has also been alive for only a tiny fraction of the 6 billion years the earth has been in existence, at most 1/6000th (or 0.0167%) of the Earth's lifetime. If you count our CO2 impact from when we invented farming we've only had the opportunity to pollute more than other animals for 0.000167% of the Earth's lifespan, and we've only been industrialised for 0.000004167% of the Earth's lifespan (assuming the lifespan of the Earth is 6 billion years). Compared to that humans producing 0.00022% of the worlds carbon emissions means that on average we've been producing more CO2 than nature has for the past 10000 years.

3 to 6) And? This doesn't disprove that humans caused the problems this time.

1, 7 to 11, 18, 24 and 25) Citation needed.

12, 15 to 17 and 21) This doesn't mean that humans aren't a major contributor - we don't just produce CO2 in harmful ways.

13 and 14) Irrelevant - even if true.

19) If you read the Wikipedia article this doesn't imply humans aren't responsible for climate change. Additionally 49 of the nobel prize winners who signed it also signed the World Scientists' Warning to Humanity

20) Irrelevant - even if true (which I doubt). Just because temperature varies naturally doesn't mean humans aren't causing the rise now.

22) Citation needed - besides if you are going to believe the science here - why not believe the science on global warming too.

23) Not when most of them are shrinking at the same time.

Good to know that you don't think Hurricane Katrina was worth reporting.

11. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

The OP probably believes that we've been here since "Day 1". :rolleyes:
    Seeing how they deny science outright in this area, why not how long has the earth been long as well?

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good point. I forgot the world was only 6000 years old.

13. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The entire list is irrelevant, even if true. If anthropogenic climate change is in fact not happening, we still need to implement a strategic initiative for sustainable living simply because the Earths resources are finite and our population is exploding. What people fail to realize is that this isn't a crisis that's endangering the Earth, it's a crisis that's endangering human civilization. As you've rightly pointed out, we're but a tiny blip on the Earth's radar, and if we don't act soon that's all we'll ever be.

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I will say this again, why do people(especially politicians) take the extreme side of an issue? Instead of going, " We're causing our climate to change! We're doomed if we don't change!" or " The current climate change is natural. Don't listen to those communists about this green hippy crap".

How about we all go in the middle and say, " Hey, climate change is a natural cycle, but we may or may not be influencing it. And how about we clean up our act and reduce emissions to create jobs, improve technology, and improve ourselves and the world."

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Cow farts heat the world. They are the salvation of all, didn't you know that. I even thought of naming my first born, "cow fart".

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So...how many of those 100 "reasons" are the conclusions of the majority of the world's top climate scientists?

Oh, that's right...none.

How much of that is the conclusion of the majority of the world's top climate scientists?

Oh, that's right...none.

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I totally agree with you. But to be fair, IN THE NET did touch upon Gore's use of this for stretching the facts or for political gain. I think we are in deep trouble due to CO2 emissions, especially from automobiles. The evidence is pretty much there, but I think some on the left (I voted Green and/or Democrat for 20 years) have used this dire issue for political gain.

It's the concept of framing an already guilty man. The fingerprints are in and match (or should I say carbon footprint), the major players, including the Bush Administration have changed their views from ignoring the issue to putting it up front and center as an environmental threat, and most Democrats have worked toward an answer with their Republican colleagues. The politician I despise most, Californian Arnold the Govenator, has even repeatedly mentioned global warming and CO2 emissions, even if he had the gall to fly to Ohio, on Californian's taxpayer money, to stump for Bush in a closely contested election and closely contested state.

Gore has mostly used this as a neutral, non-political issue, but at times he has attacked the GOP. Hey, it's OK if he attacks big oil, but we should all keep politics out of this. Democrats have been in office many times while people in America put C02 into the air and nothing was said.

This is an issue both sides need to work on.

18. tallguy macrumors regular

*applause* Those are my exact thoughts! And that should be the real question here. How can quagmire read my mind?

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

101) Gasps and sighs from PRSI - PRSI releases enough extra greenhouse gases each day to raise the earths temperature .0000000000000000001 degree F. Therefore a new tax should be levied on PRSI in the amount of $.10 per post on the Fat Cat posters who obviously are so rich they never work anyway, they live in PRSI doing nothing productive with their lives but consume resources without regard for the planet.

Tonnes and Tonnes of Carbon struting about full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

(bold is mine)

20. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Come on seriously, if you can source every one of those "reasons" down to a article written by an established scientist, and this article is hosted on a trusted and reliable source (wikipedia is neither), then, THEN, I will begin to take the list seriously, until then, it's just a bunch of drivel written by a sad minority of backwards thinkers in the media industry.

You do realise that the writers for the Daily Express know exactly what they're doing, putting out an almost completely fabricated piece like this causes a ruckus, which causes publicity, which causes sales. In a medium that is slowly dying on it's feet, a pathetic stab at being "edgy" is as good as it gets.

Maybe if they actually bothered to provide the details of all their sources, then it would be something more than an opinionated puff piece.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Bush did pull out of Kyoto and the US is basically the only country to do so (and the only remotely stable country not to sign EDIT: that isn't a city state.). So I see his point. That said I doubt the US senate would have passed it anyway.

[​IMG]

(source)

22. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

23. djellison macrumors 68020

So hundreds of scientists, from dozens of coutries that wrote a report peer-reviewed by hundreds more scientists from over a hundred countries.....and they've got it wrong?

These
    http://www.ipcc.ch/graphics/syr/fig1-1.jpg
    changes
    http://www.ipcc.ch/graphics/syr/fig1-2.jpg
    are
    http://www.ipcc.ch/graphics/syr/fig2-1.jpg
    real
    http://www.ipcc.ch/graphics/syr/fig2-3.jpg
    and
    http://www.ipcc.ch/graphics/syr/fig2-5.jpg
    manmade

Those denying it are like people thrashing around in quick sand. You're making it worse for yourself.

There seems to be quite a large overlap between those who deny the science of anthropomorphic global warming, and those who deny the science of evolution. I am not surprised.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's your opinion. Conservatives are still looking for a way to prove that that whole "Earth revolving around the sun" thing is a scam.

25. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Looks like an interesting read! Let's have a look…

ah, joke post…ok.