100 Year Old Driver Plows Into Crowd At LA School

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Aug 29, 2012.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Information is still sketchy at this point, but it raises an interesting question. How old is too old to be allowed to drive? I'd like to know when his license was last renewed.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-kids-outside-la-school-8-hurt/1#.UD7sJe2B0yE

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

It's nothing to do with age.

If your vision/co-ordination/mental faculties are not up to the task, you shouldn't be on the road.

end of story.

whether you're 18 or 118....

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think that there should be compulsory re-tests every 5 years regardless of age. And the Police should stop drivers and issue warnings (and even fines) for poor driving like being in the wrong lane and failure to use indicators (turn signals for my US friends).

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What a horrible accident for everyone involved. I guess it's easy for us to say it but for an elderly person coming to terms with giving up their license would be a massive step in losing independence. Just when your mobility and sociability and quality of life requires a car more than perhaps any other time in your life. It's an awfully hard discussion for families and medical staff to have with an elderly driver who they don't think should drive anymore.

Given that we'd all rate ourselves as above average drivers I'm sure the elderly would be of a similar mindset, given they likely see themselves as very relaxed and mellow on the roads in comparison, and any dimming of faculties likely to have taken many gradual years.

Imagine the cost of policing this though...

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Use cameras. Our politicians seem to believe they make everyone safer by monitoring speed and nothing else already!

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Someone still has to watch all the video or look at all the pictures! I appreciate what you're saying, but I'm not sure that level of policing is particularly cost-effective or practical.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not necessarily. People don't have to look at all the pictures from speed cameras. I heard they had developed cameras that could automatically detect tailgating in the same way. A bit of work and many of these things that actually effect safety regardless of speed could be targeted bringing about a real increase in driving standards.

9. Chundles, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

See .Andy's post down below for regulations here.

I think the testing procedures should be far more stringent over 70.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think from 70 on you should be tested frequently. Such a tragic and seemingly avoidable accident.

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'll let you sell that one to your fellow countrymen :D!

In NSW it's yearly medical check ups (quite thorough too) annually from 75 (which can recommenced rejecting a license/request a driving test/suggest the addition of restrictions) and then driving tests every 2 years from 80.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/olderdriver_changes.html

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I'll amend the post.

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Thing is I really dislike speed cameras. Mostly as speed is not the thing that I think we should concentrate on. But I agree: they would be hated and seen as a way of raising revenue instead of raising safety standards.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

No probs! The rules were changed not too long ago.

Does anyone know what the rules are in the US. Especially where this gentleman was from?

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

From that link it seems a little less comprehensive that the Aus version however the concentration on practical skill seems pretty good. A review only every 5 years seems a bit long though. 5 years is a long time when it comes to health at that age....

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Agreed, which is why I don't drive. Trust me - the world is safer this way....

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

We'll see more like this just like more mass shootings because the US is unwilling to confront the issues. Too many elderly believe driving is an inalienable right. Getting them to stop driving if they live in a barren suburb will be a death sentence for many. It's really tragic.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So long as somebody actually tests these faculties, I'll agree with you.

----------

My 95 year-old father-in-law fits that description. It's been quite a struggle to get him off the road.

20. eric/ Guest

eric/

Yeah right. They'd rather pull over people who are perfectly fine going 80 in a 65 or being in complete control sending a text message while driving.

Never would they pull over people who are the ones actually causing problems. That would make too much sense.

21. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, because going 25 mph over the speed limit and texting while driving are completely harmless.:rolleyes:

22. eric/ Guest

eric/

I do it all the time, no issues.

23. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Hopefully, when it does become an issue you only kill yourself.

24. eric/ Guest

eric/

Apply that to anytime you drive

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Sadly even if he only kills himself it will still be up to a passer by and/or the emergency services to pick up the pieces. When it comes to driving people often have an over-inflated opinion of their abilities.

A perfect chance for the Dunning-Kruger graph;
    [​IMG]