$1000 to spend. 10/08 013" MBP or 03/07 15" MBP w/ software?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cloudbase, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Cloudbase macrumors newbie

Hey everyone this is my first post. I've used the search tool, but would like some specific advice for my situation.

I'm looking to replace my ancient '02 Dell Laptop with a Macbook Pro.

I have $1000 to spend. I mainly use my computer for email, internet, photo editing, and video editing. I use Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Premier Pro for windows currently. I have no apple software and need Office, Photoshop CS4, and would like Final Cut.

My current options:

1. A reburbished 13", 2.26GHz, 2G ram, 160G HD, MBP from Apple (they seem to pop up from time to time). Software: Snow Lepoard.

2. A used 13" 2.4GHz, 2G ram, 250G HD MBP. 10/08 purchase date. It has the LED screen and Apple Care until 10/11. Software: Snow Lepoard.

3. A used 15: 2.33GHz, 2G ram, 500G HD MBP. 3/07 purchase date. It's got the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphic processor with 256MB of video memory. Software: Snow Lepoard, MS Office 08, Fusion, Windows 7, Adobe Master Collection CS4, and Final Cut Pro.

I'm leaning towards Option 3 because I have exactly $1000 to spend and it comes with all the software I need. The computer is out of apple care and will need a new battery. I travel frequently and dig that it's non-unibody so I could get a couple batteries for long flights. The only thing I would do is upgrade the ram to 4G. Would you guys be leary of buying an older MBP? It makes me nervious that it's out of Apple Care, but the software it comes with is a great deal.

In the 7 years I've had my PC it's crashed twice and need a re-format wiping out all of my software. If that happened to the MBP it would negate the advantage of buying the older one with the software. Should I worry about this?

Thanks in advance for your help...

2. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

I would go for option 3, and back up. i have never had issues with crashing, so all your software should be safe, but backup just incase your hdd dies.

3. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I agree. Just watch the GPU, which is known to have issues. It's covered 3 years from manufacture (correct me if I'm wrong)

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Does option 3 include the disks or is it just installed? If it just has the programs installed, I wouldn't consider that included.

Also is this hobby stuff or work related?

I would personally go with a different option than 3, I just don't like not having apple care. One problem and you could be out 1000 bucks. Doubly so if the programs are just on the HD, no disks included.

Option 1 sounds good to me. Buy the software elsewhere or try others for free. Adobe Lightroom 3 is free in Beta now. Perhaps you know a student or are one and can get the software cheaper?

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

go with option 2. I have that computer and its great. When you can afford it, upgrade to 4GB of ram and the thing will absolutely fly.

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

option 3 seems to be the best if its in your budget.

just a note regarding option2, if it was purchased on 10/2008 then its probably just a 13" Alu MacBook and not MBP....

7. Cloudbase thread starter macrumors newbie

The software in Option 3 is installed, but no discs included. I'm not a student and it's not for work. I would have to wait until I ran across someone who could hook me up with a copy of Photoshop and Final Cut. That might be a while... I really can't spend anymore than $1K. It's a risk that it could crash, but one I might have to take considering my budget.

Is the GPU the graphics processor? I was wondering about that. I saw there were problems with the NVIDA ones up until '08. Is there a way to tell if it's functioning properly?

I'm pretty sure option 2 is a MBP. I saw the picture of it and it looks identical to the ones on the apple website.

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Option 2 is a MacBook. They look just like the 13 pros but apple revamped the macbook pro line up to be all metal and made the MacBook line up to plastic. Just a word technicality.

If the discs aren't included I wouldn't do it. The gpu in option 3 is known to go bad, but apple extended the warranty to 3 years for the gpu only.

I would go option 1. Then later you can add the Applecare.

If you already have the programs for windows, why not go option 1 and dual boot into windows using the programs you already have until you can get the software you need. As a student you can get cs4 cheaper.

Also check out ebay, craigslist or the refurb store. I know they have a unibody 15" with a dedicated graphics card for 1299, has a full year warranty. Ebay has good deals as well, right after the unibodies were released I scored a 2.4 MBP for 1000 bucks.

9. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I personally have the 15" from 07/07, and its great. It has NVIDIA 8600M 128MB, and an upgrade would be nice, but even this card can outperform the newer 9400. It runs fine, in win7 and snow leopard, and the battery lasts fine (and is replaceable)

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

You might just buy a new 13 from Amazon now.
    it's 1149, but sometimes cheaper.

but the thing is right now, if you setup a "pay phrase," at Amazon, and use the "pay phrase, when you check out, they'll give you 5 percent back on the item, up to $50 per item, if you do it by Dec 31.

That would put cost down to $1100, free shipping, and depending where you live, there there might not be any other charges.

for just $100 more than budget seems pretty good considering too if apple ever has refurbished for 999, they'd be sure to charge you other fees, recycling thing to, etc.

also, no rebate to deal with.

11. vant macrumors 65816

I say screw all of those and get a brand new Macbook for $999.

12. Cloudbase thread starter macrumors newbie

I might have another option. A 07/09 build 15" 2.53GHz MBP. My friend's wife spilled water on it. Apple Care told my friend they would replace the mother board, hard drive, and other crutial bits for around $1000 under Apple care. It would be the same as a refurbished and Apple Care would restart from the date he got it back. I'm leaning towards this now, but just worry that it would have gremlins.

13. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I'd prob go w/ the most recent option in that case. plus if its still going to have apple care then you can always send it back if things go awry.

14. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

@Cloudbase:

Three things to consider, One, check with Adobe, I believe that they offer cross-platform licenses or upgrades when you switch computing platforms. Two, MacConnection right now has some of the best deals (after rebate) on Macs right now. Thirdly, I wouldn't go near your option #3. Unless the seller includes all discs/documentation and a transfer of license, technically the only thing you'd actually be buying and will own after the sale is the used MacBook Pro.

15. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

16. DivineEvil macrumors regular

Option 1. A little bit of searching and downloading a few hours and you'll have all the software you want!

Plus a refurbished MBP is like brand new + the second QC that has passed.

17. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

You said you are a student, so why not talk to some friends, and see if they can hook you up? your college no doubt offers free software to students, i got CS4, Aperture, Windows 7, just by asking friends, better, and more legal than torrenting

18. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

#2 is not a macbook pro. its a 13" aluminum macbook. if i recall correctly the 13" macbook pro came out in june 2009

19. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

Save your $1000. Why do you feel the need to spend it? Free yourself from the shackles of consumerism. Read a nice book, go for a jog and get some exercise, enjoy a nice conversation with family or friends. These things are intrinsically fulfilling and provide you with your own unique experience. Buying a product is not, and your experience with the product will be empty, for it will not be your own; it will be the experience the marketers have intended for you to have - a shallow and poor substitute for the treasures you can experience on your own.

20. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ