100baseT and gigabit and speeds and super exciting things you all want to read about

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hellron, Aug 28, 2008.

1. hellron macrumors newbie

ive got a airport express and its connected to the internet via my cr*ppy sky adsl modem router via 100baseT and my sky router is acting as the DHCP server for the network, and ive just ordered a mac mini, and was thinking about the best way to add storage to the mini, for best performance (due to the lack of firewire 800) i was gonna go for a NAS on gigabit connection.

my question is does the DHCP server being connected one base 100 to the gigabit network slow the whole thing down?

i have the option i surpose of turning off the DHCP server in the slow router and set it fixed ip and use the airport express as the DHCP server? but id rather not as ive got the airport express set to 5GHz only as ive found thats the best network throughput but my girlfriend hasnt got wireless N so she connects through the slower wireless G provided by the sky router.

sorry for the long question, some help would be great though

thanks

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

No, having the DHCP server up on the 100MB router won't slow everything down. When the initial DHCP request is made, it travels up the chain until it gets a response. But once it has an IP, it will take the shortest route to the intended destination IP -- so if you've got your NAS and Mini both plugged into the Airport Express, then any traffic between the two should only go through the Airport Express.

3. hellron thread starter macrumors newbie

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

That website is a terrible design and does not look professional. Hopefully that is not a representation of their products, for your sake. I have not heard of them and I doubt many others have either. When it come to data storage you want the best quality product you can get because your data can not be replaced.

Have you looked at the ReadyNAS line of storage devices?

Another alternative might be the Drobo combined with the DroboShare or Airport Extreme.

5. hellron thread starter macrumors newbie

well its just a sata bridge card and a box, you can buy the cards yourself just nicer to have it knocked together by someone,

i wouldnt class netgear as quality either ive never had a good experience with their products

unfortunateley combinig a dobro with airport extreme or dobroshare would be the oposite of what i would want as i wanted the higher performance of gigabit ethernet not USB or firewire, which would obviously be a bottleneck before the gigabit connection.

however it is a pretty rubbish website i agree, there are a wealth of different nas's on the market and i just like the nas mirroring feature of this one.