101 million on food benefits

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jknight8907, Jul 9, 2013.

1. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. GermanyChris, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Shows the pathetic state of employment in the USA.

4. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Let them eat cake.

6. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

which in turn makes "the pathetic state of employment in the USA" possible (in the sense if "I'll pay you pennies, get the rest from the goverment").

7. TPadden macrumors 6502a

...... they then can have enough left for lotto, cigs, and beer :rolleyes:....

Both terrible generalizations :)

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Pardon me for leaping to some insane conclusion here ...

[just crazy]

But if we look at those numbers, won't we find that a significant percentage comes from retired baby boomers?

Perhaps they should get themselves some jobs.

Slackers.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The vast majority are children, the elderly, military families and the working poor.

10. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I would be curious to see how these numbers compare with the welfare numbers of other developed countries.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Just love the spin some of these "truthful" news sites put on these stories.

From the source PDF: http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/27001-0001-10.pdf
    Clearly, there's more than just a little bit of overlap going on to come up with that "101 million" number. While that overlap is a problem of its own, this "cnsnews" seems to prefer having a completely misleading header and similar 3/4 of an article. They do acknowledge the overlap near the end, but fail to include anything about the potential effect this would have on that massive figure, and quickly red herring their way out of that uncomfortable admission.

Honestly - I can't find any data which reliably backs up this "101 million", and the only "news" websites which claim it are not what you would call "unbiased". :rolleyes:

12. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

In Germany the about 6 million either receive "Hartz4" or are depending on someone receiving it (read their children). Makes up about 8% of the population.

All things included thats about 800Euro/month for a single adult.

Number does include people adding goverment aid to their low incomes, but not people lievin on insufficient pensions (those aren't many .... yet).

Food stamps at such don't exist, but the agency might hand out special checks for problematic cases (read people who would otherwise spend it on alcohol, gambling etc).

13. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I can't believe the military contributes a significant percentage. Only 1% or so of Americans are in the military. If I recall by the time you make E-6 you don't qualify anymore but it's been a while

14. G51989, Jul 9, 2013

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

The vast majority of these numbers are the elderly, former military, and the working poor.

Though we wouldnt have a working poor if business's decided to start paying a living wage.

Companies like Wal Mart typically subside their labor costs by telling their workers to go on food stamps.

15. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The U.S. government spending this kind of money on hungry citizens? An abomination! Not the situation, but the money spent...

Maybe you could supply some documentation to back this statement up?

I don't know if you are a conservative, just assume, but the conservative approach to social entitlements is to eradicate them, not fix them. Because to fix them means you acknowledge there is a need. There is no need and they don't care (in their view) if undeserving parasites of society live or die in the gutter, "not my problem". Now if it's for building a Abrams Tank, a $30 billion dollar fence, or keep the oil company subsidies going, or some other form of corporate welfare, now we are talking.

Or if a trickle down fan, eat the crumbs left on the plate. :)

16. rdowns, Jul 9, 2013

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

LOL. I searched "101 million on food stamps" and all I got were right wing sites all using the CSN story as a source. You gotta give them credit, they know how to spread the bull **** like no one else can.

Maybe not a significant number unless you count retired military. Can't find the article I read but IIRC, $200 million a year in SNAP benefits are spent on military bases.

17. AhmedFaisal, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

19. edk99 macrumors 6502a

So you were expecting stories like this to appear on Huffington or MSNBC? LOL! fat chance.

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I think we all do. Let's look at Medicare. My impression is that Medicare (or is it Medicaid, or both?) fraud is huge, but you have to have a bureaucracy built to go after cheaters... more big government. This is why the GOP would rather just get rid of it all.

21. edk99 macrumors 6502a

You won't get any sympathy from the liberals on this site that this is a pretty sad state for this country to be in. They would rather continue to push to raise taxes on the "Rich" and corporations to give more to the moocher class. They will continue to pat this president on the back and give him props for the top notch job he has done getting this country back on track after Bush destroyed it. They can continue to pick and choose their rosy numbers to look at and ignore or discredit the true numbers but it is pretty sad that also the second largest employer in this country is a temp agency. Good job mr. president getting this country back on track.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Can't say I'm shocked to see you defend partisan hack journalism.

23. edk99 macrumors 6502a

How do you figure that? They gave the source for the number. But you can continue to defend, deflect and belittle all that don't agree with you.

http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/27001-0001-10.pdf

24. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I don't think they are saying that people were counted multiple times. The reliable data would be the source linked in the article.

25. MegamanX macrumors regular

considering Fox has not picked it up speaks VOLUMES about its complete lack of credibility. Fox news is better known as Fake news.
    Also single source for news is generally not valid. You have what is known to be a very far right wing site as your argument. That pretty much makes it worthless. Spread their FUD does not make conservatives look any better. All is does is make them look worse and why they are not respected by intelligent people.