Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've heard that the new iPod nano and iPod Touch will be arriving in Apple retail stores tomorrow, and the first reviews are starting to filter in.

213035-ipod_nano_large_500.jpg

The iPod nano is the most dramatically different device in Apple's lineup. The nano embraces a fully multi-touch interface rather than the familiar click-wheel of previous models. Engadget seems to think that the move is a positive one:
While that screen is small, it's not hard to get around in, and the touch response seemed about as tight as it is on the new touch or iPhone. Multitouch rotation worked just fine, and in general use, moving from place to place with the new nano was considerably faster than on previous models. Overall, we think the design is a big step forward for this line of players.
While the nano resembles iOS, Apple has said it is not actually running their mobile operating system and was simply made to resemble it. Macworld agreed that many tasks (scrolling, flipping between photos) were much improved with the multi-touch display over the click wheel, but noted some inconsistencies in the interface due to the small size of the display.

213036-ipod_touch_large_500.jpg

The iPod Touch finally gets many features that were previously iPhone-exclusive. This includes a front and back camera, gyroscope, A4 processor, Retina display and vibrate function. The new iPod Touch apparently doesn't have quite the same high quality IPS display as the iPhone 4, but in real world terms, Engadget claims the difference isn't concerning. Overall, it seems the upgrades are not surprising if you have any familiarity with the current iPhone. The new iPod Touch does come with iOS 4.1 already installed, and we expect Apple to release it for existing hardware sometime tomorrow.

PCMag, USA Today and CNet have further reviews of the iPod Touch.

Article Link: iPod Nano and Touch In Stores Tomorrow, Early Reviews

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
While watching the keynote when Steve said they removed the clickwheel and showed the image of the Nano without it I was like ...:D

Then he said they made it smaller and I was like...:(

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
The iPod touch always used cheaper parts than the iPhone when possible, so this isn't surprising. The iPod touch's screen has always looked worse than an iPhone, and it's apparent when you compare two of the same generation that the iPod touch has a worse contrast ratio and color accuracy is off, as well as viewing angles are worse. The chassis seems cheap compared to the iPhone, too. The Apple logo and words on the back can easily rub off over time, too. The iPod touch is great for a half-price iPhone, but it's also obvious that the iPod touch is a cheaper device.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Surely he's holding that Nano wrong ;)!

But seriously, now I have a much better idea of how ridiculously small it is.

Wow I had no idea how tiny the Nano was until I saw that picture in the person's hand. If you have big hands or fingers this is probably not the iPod for you.

rydenfan

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Does anyone know how I can find out if the new Nano will play 24/48 music files? iPhones and iPads do but I am not sure about the new Nano. Thanks for the help.

tCruzin4lyfe

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
The Touch is sweet. Ima get one for my little sister since she can't afford a cell phone bill yet. They did the damn thing with this generation. That's for all the iPods.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
makes me laugh at all the people who argued that the nano WAS NOT gonna get a touch screen

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
If I was a teenager today I'd watch the pron on the iTouch - under the covers.

If I was a teenage girl with the iPod Touch 4th gen, I would hope someone creates a "Pleasure Mode" app that uses the new vibrator motor in the iPod lol

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
This makes me really excited for the new iPods. I can't wait to try out the new Nano in stores. I'm honestly 50/50 on the fence indifferent about it.

While I can not imagine the Nano without the classic clickwheel, and it sucks to see it go, all good things must come to an end, but I just can't decide if I like it or not without seeing it, holding it, and using it.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
I'll bet the next Nano will be just like the new Nano but with "awesome" wide screen and with "amazing" video cam. :eek:

enzos

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
tne nano watch

Wow I had no idea how tiny the Nano was until I saw that picture in the person's hand. If you have big hands or fingers this is probably not the iPod for you.

Check this out. I like it a lot!

Attachments

• 4950716859_40cbfd92c0.jpg
    4950716859_40cbfd92c0.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 276

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
RIGHT?

Why didn't they just chop off the click wheel and leave the camera and video playback?

Because they're encouraging everyone interested in cameras to buy iPod Touches.

As an AAPL shareholder, I agree with this strategy.

Craiglorocks

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
I was going to purchase mine at Best Buy since the nearest Apple Store is over 2 hours away. Does anybody know if they have announced when they will start offering them for in-store purchase? I haven't heard a firm date.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Here's the thing: after reading through that iPod Touch review, I recognize that it does everything faster and better than my 2nd gen Touch, but what does it actually add?

Multitasking...yes I want that. But I've gone 2 years without it, so I don't know what I'm missing.

Facetime...sounds interesting, but I'm not really sure I'd use it. I'd have to be in a wifi zone, which is probably home for me, where I'd rather just use iChat. Without being able to use it anywhere it feels gimmicky.

Videos and Pictures...well, the pictures suck, so that's out. HD videos are nice, but honestly not a great necessity considering my cell phone can get near that resolution.

Integrated Microphone....I really want this. But I've had a $12 mic to plug into the headphone jack for over a year, and it works great.

I guess these things are all relevant additions to the iPod Touch, and I'm sure they'll sell them in boatloads, but for me it's just not the additions that would get me to upgrade. If they had gone for things like GPS, a better external speaker, or maybe (I know I'm dreaming) an iPad-style data plan I'd be all over it. But I just can't see myself throwing down the money to get a device that basically functions exactly like my current 2nd gen, albeit a little more quickly and smoothly. The extra features just don't grab me at all.

Here's hoping that January Verizon iPhone comes true ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.