1080p causes HDTV monitor to flicker black on MacPro, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cable, Feb 19, 2012.

1. cable macrumors newbie

I just aquired an extra flat screen Toshiba HDTV and I figured I'd give it a go at trying to use it as my monitor. I'm running a DVI to HDMI cable from a Mac Pro (2,1 "Clovertown" 2007, 8gb RAM) into the monitor. It's running 1080p native. And no, I am not using HDMI to run audio.

My problem is that the screen occasionally flickers to black for about .5 seconds then back to normal. It tends to do this when I do something like open a new window in Safari, or scroll down on a page. It happens sometimes when I scroll in iTunes too, so it's not just a Safari problem.

I've spent the past few days tinkering with Refresh Rates and turning Overscan on & off. It still flickers black in every configuration.

I've changed resolutions from 1080p to 1360 x 768 (60hz NTSC). That has no flickering issues, so I've concluded that the issue is caused only by the 1080p setting.

Unfortunately 1360 x 768 is WAY too big and the amount of space on the 1080p setting was the only acceptable choice.

Does anyone know what causes 1080p to flicker? Or if there is a workaround?

Thanks

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Some TVs simply don't have great HDMI compatibility I'm afraid to say, I've used my MBP in countless HDTVs to preview work and only once had a problem where by the TV refused to believe there was any input. Sometimes it happens unfortunately, only thing I can suggest is make sure the cables are all fine and go for the lower resolution that has no issues.

3. cable, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

cable thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if it's the computers ability to send out the 1080p signal as opposed to the TV not being able to handle it.

If so should I get a new video card or something with MiniDVI?

I also noticed on 1080p the mouse's response time is slowed a bit.