1080p LCD TV as XP Monitor Issue

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by barr08, Dec 3, 2008.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Hey all,

I am using my 1080p LCD TV as a monitor for my iMac (early 2006) running XP sp3 in boot camp with the Radeon x1600 card. The image looks great, but the screen is shrunk, so that there are black bars about an inch thick around the entire image - so instead of displaying the desktop on the full 42 inches of the screen, it is displayed on an image that I would call 40 inches diagonal, with a black border surrounding it.

My resolution is 1920x1080, I have what I believe to be the latest drivers installed, and have tried a lot to no avail.

In OS X, the image is displayed perfectly, filling every inch of the LCD.

Any ideas on how I could fix this?

Thanks

2. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Have you checked the graphics setting in Windows for the Wallpaper? There is generally three choices, tile, center, and stretch. Make sure it is set for stretch.

3. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Good idea, as this has been a solution to many of my problems in the past (I really like LCD screens!), but unfortunately this is not the problem.

Also, I forgot to mention, I am using a program called UltraMon, which allows me to stretch the windows taskbar to multiple monitors, as well as do other monitor related things. I could not find a solution in this program, but could it be part of the problem?

Edit: I also forgot to mention how the LCD is connected. I am using and HDMI - DVI cable. The problem very well could be in the handshake, the only issue with that theory is that the same cable works perfectly in OS X.

Oh yeah, here are the drivers I am using: http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/mac/bootcamp-xp.html

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Doublecheck your refresh and make sure the video card isnt outputting at 1080i.

5. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

My refresh is at 60, which is the full capability of the TV afaik. How do I check what the video card is outputting?

6. tmt345 macrumors member

sorry to bump an old thread but i have just about the same the computer as you, a imac5,1 with an ati x1600 card and i am trying to use a 1080p tv as a monitor and i also have black bars on all sides about an inch width each.

and i know its displaying 1080p because i took a 1080p image and it fits just fine but it still doesn't completely fill the screen!

thanks