1080p monitor and MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PinkZeppelin, Jul 7, 2007.

1. PinkZeppelin macrumors member

I connected my MBP to my external display (westinghouse lvm-42w) using DVI to DVI and get 2 bars on either side on the external display but none on the MBP. It looks like the resizing is wrong. Currently I'm running 1440x900 on the MBP and 1920x1080 on the external display. I checked my external display and it says it is getting 1920x1080p signal. Been testing different resolutions and the 2 bars go away on the external display on 1360x768 but 2 bars appear on the top and bottom not sides on the MBP. Is it because the aspect ratio is not matching on the MBP(16:10) and on the external display(16:9)?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are trying to mirror two displays with different aspect ratios. A 16:10 display like that of your MBP should have top and bottom bars when you try to display 16:9 content on it. This is called "letterboxed." Turn off mirroring and you will get two displays at their full resolution. However, they will act as two parts of a larger display. You will have to decide which display gets the menubar.

3. PinkZeppelin thread starter macrumors member

Turned off mirror and put the menu bar on the external display and is working great. thanks for the help