Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgolik

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Battery health (beta) on my 6S shows 95%, which looks OK (the battery was replaced by apple for free about a year ago, as it was one of the affected units), but the Battery Life app, as well as Coconut Battery show that it's only about 83% (and it changes a lot day to day).
Is the iOS feature too optimistic, or are the third part apps erratic?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Coconut battery seems to be accurate. It shows within a couple of percent of the Apple battery data. Not sure why your results are so off though. I have no experience with the Battery life app..

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Battery health (beta) on my 6S shows 95%, which looks OK (the battery was replaced by apple for free about a year ago, as it was one of the affected units), but the Battery Life app, as well as Coconut Battery show that it's only about 83% (and it changes a lot day to day).
One important thing to consider is that CoconutBattery is really only accurate for battery health when you are charged up to 100%. See if that makes a difference.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

In addition to what the others wrote, be advised that the Battery Life app hasn't had access to iPhone hardware since iOS 10. On my phone the beta Battery Health function gives results very close to Coconut Battery. Battery Life is all over the place.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Here is my experience for reference.

IMG_7688.jpg

CoconutBattery:
Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 4.04.30 PM.png

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
My 11.3 iPad mini doesn't display Battery Health (beta) at all so I assume the function in 11.3 relies upon some underlying hardware feature that is perhaps different to Coconut battery...

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
My 11.3 iPad mini doesn't display Battery Health (beta) at all so I assume the function in 11.3 relies upon some underlying hardware feature that is perhaps different to Coconut battery...
Battery beta is iPhone only.

Coconut battery uses private APIs to view the batttery hardware diagnostics. iOS apps used to do this until Apple hid the information. It would still be visible with iOS apps if private APIs were allowed.

Corgirat

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2016
Battery beta is iPhone only.

Coconut battery uses private APIs to view the batttery hardware diagnostics. iOS apps used to do this until Apple hid the information. It would still be visible with iOS apps if private APIs were allowed.
Do you happen to know the reason why Apple hid the information?

Corgirat

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2016
By the way, anyone with 6s plus experimented with 2916 mah battery or bigger with DYI installation and had no issue ?

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
My aunts iPhone 6 shows 98% health in the beta menu. It‘s a launch day model and has been in use ever since, no way that‘s an accurate number. I‘d take these numbers with a big grain of salt.

A Lazy Scot

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2018
Interestingly, I'm seeing the same difference between coconutBattery (reporting about 78% max capacity) and iOS (reporting about 85% max capacity).

The other figure from coconutBattery (currentCharge) seems perfectly accurate against the device itself.

Somewhere I may have a USB charging meter. I guess I could near discharge the iPhone and see what that says (though I would expect that to over estimate somewhat as it is the power in and not the power retained....)

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I think what Apple is showing is the max capacity of the battery when all conditions are at their best like say the battery is at room temperature and fully charged this is best number you can possibly get.

What coconut is showing is more detailed and is based off current capacity, charge cycles and current load and current temperature right at that time it checks it. That’s why it can change so much at different times and charge rates.

Persian-apple

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Iran
I don't trust coconut , i've got an X which ahs probably less than 20 cycles on it, coconut nattery reports 99 percetn but IOS says 100percent
And the battery life app bounces between 99 and 100
No way a new battery Gets weared out this fast
NO WAY

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I don't trust coconut , i've got an X which ahs probably less than 20 cycles on it, coconut nattery reports 99 percetn but IOS says 100percent
NO WAY
Batteries do not always come brand new at 100%. Chemicals cannot be controlled. That’s all batteries are. I had a MacBook Pro with 0 cycles start life at 97%. My Air 2 started at 96%. Batteries fluctuate. Over time my Air 2 rose to 99% health. As long as it stays above 80% before hitting 500 cycles (or 1000 for macs and ipads) then it’s healthy.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
NO WAY
Also, try charging your iPhone while plugged into CoconutBattery and watch. Often it will hit 100% and keep going beyond.

Persian-apple

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Iran
Also, try charging your iPhone while plugged into CoconutBattery and watch. Often it will hit 100% and keep going beyond.
i will probably try that thanks Man
appreciate the reponse!

ive Got one question
i hate my iphone X ,i wanted to get the 8 plus but thought that x is the More expensive version so its probably better but Nope, Higher resolution(which Means Worse performance than 8 plus when the 2017 iphone series Get old)
that notch...
battery life is worse than 8 plus
and so on...
so im still using my 6S+ ,in my opinion its the best iphone apple has ever made(i know people are gonna disagree but when 6S series hit the markets i was like wow, what are They gonna do next this Is nearly perfect! and to me what they did with these 2 last generations was keeping it interesting Not making it better)
so long story short i wanna turn my x off and keep it ... maybe for 6month Or 1-2years idk ...
but my question is Whether doig that would degrade the battery?
in the mean time i will be using the 6S plus as my main phone(still at 82percent battery health after nearly1000cycles i guess)
but im a Bit scared that the x might get damaged if I turn it off for too long
because if not using it doesnt prevent battery damage ... there is no point in keeping it turned off...
sorry for the punctuations im not used ti that
and sorry for my english❤️❤️❤️
[doublepost=1523712721][/doublepost]
Batteries do not always come brand new at 100%. Chemicals cannot be controlled. That’s all batteries are. I had a MacBook Pro with 0 cycles start life at 97%. My Air 2 started at 96%. Batteries fluctuate. Over time my Air 2 rose to 99% health. As long as it stays above 80% before hitting 500 cycles (or 1000 for macs and ipads) then it’s healthy.
but when you put the A11 chip and a super bright oled display with super lod speakers...
and wireless charging /fast charging which make the phone warmer than usual charging which Ultimatwly might lead to battery degradation
and at the same time you reduce the battery capacity (comparing to 7plus/6Splus)
you gotta make sure,at least, that you really put a 100percent healthy 2716mah battery in there
or people are gonna Experience Terrible battery life in 1-1.5years
idk but I think its crazy...
and replacing the battery has some difficulties on this
cuz the Waterproof Adhesive is hard to remove and you know, it just doesnt make sense

(what you said makes sense man, but im saying putting a battery at 97-98percent health in such a De doesnt make any sense)vice

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
i will probably try that thanks Man
appreciate the reponse!

ive Got one question
i hate my iphone X ,i wanted to get the 8 plus but thought that x is the More expensive version so its probably better but Nope, Higher resolution(which Means Worse performance than 8 plus when the 2017 iphone series Get old)
that notch...
battery life is worse than 8 plus
and so on...
so im still using my 6S+ ,in my opinion its the best iphone apple has ever made(i know people are gonna disagree but when 6S series hit the markets i was like wow, what are They gonna do next this Is nearly perfect! and to me what they did with these 2 last generations was keeping it interesting Not making it better)
so long story short i wanna turn my x off and keep it ... maybe for 6month Or 1-2years idk ...
but my question is Whether doig that would degrade the battery?
in the mean time i will be using the 6S plus as my main phone(still at 82percent battery health after nearly1000cycles i guess)
but im a Bit scared that the x might get damaged if I turn it off for too long
because if not using it doesnt prevent battery damage ... there is no point in keeping it turned off...
sorry for the punctuations im not used ti that
and sorry for my english❤️❤️❤️
[doublepost=1523712721][/doublepost]
but when you put the A11 chip and a super bright oled display with super lod speakers...
and wireless charging /fast charging which make the phone warmer than usual charging which Ultimatwly might lead to battery degradation
and at the same time you reduce the battery capacity (comparing to 7plus/6Splus)
you gotta make sure,at least, that you really put a 100percent healthy 2716mah battery in there
or people are gonna Experience Terrible battery life in 1-1.5years
idk but I think its crazy...
and replacing the battery has some difficulties on this
cuz the Waterproof Adhesive is hard to remove and you know, it just doesnt make sense

(what you said makes sense man, but im saying putting a battery at 97-98percent health in such a De doesnt make any sense)vice
Before you turn off and store your iPhone X, just charge it to about 60% first and keep it stored at room temp.

As to what @Mlrollin91 was saying, batteries use chemical reactions and the capacity of each battery varies quite a bit from the factory, and cannot be guaranteed to be exactly the mah stated. Sometimes it’s a bit more, sometimes a bit less. Also, sometimes the capacity can increase or decrease over a given time. If they tested each battery from the factory for mah and only installed those batteries that matched the exact spec mah, the yield would be quite low and would be extremely wasteful. Also, once installed in the phone and shipped, the capacity can still fluctuate a small amount based on factors such a storage temperature. You’ve gotta realize that batteries are not like processors with an exact max clock speed, they are an ongoing chemical reaction that fluctuates.

Persian-apple

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Iran
Before you turn off and store your iPhone X, just charge it to about 60% first and keep it stored at room temp.

As to what @Mlrollin91 was saying, batteries use chemical reactions and the capacity of each battery varies quite a bit from the factory, and cannot be guaranteed to be exactly the mah stated. Sometimes it’s a bit more, sometimes a bit less. Also, sometimes the capacity can increase or decrease over a given time. If they tested each battery from the factory for mah and only installed those batteries that matched the exact spec mah, the yield would be quite low and would be extremely wasteful. Also, once installed in the phone and shipped, the capacity can still fluctuate a small amount based on factors such a storage temperature. You’ve gotta realize that batteries are not like processors with an exact max clock speed, they are an ongoing chemical reaction that fluctuates.
Thanks man I really
Appreciate The advice
As far as i know, Chargig from 1-20percent up to 100percent Repeatedly, decreases the battery health much faster than Keeping the battery between 30-80percent ...
And we all know i phones Usually come at some where 50 percent charged,
So Just to make sure...
If i turn this thing off and Keep it that way for let's say 1years The battery wont be dead/Severely damaged?
I mean i dont wanna turn it on with something like 10-15percent wear level
(Of course i can Recharge it once every 2-3month but other than that i plan on keeping it off)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.