11 Months Old MBP's Battery - 93% Health / 17 Cycles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jlin615, Sep 28, 2007.

1. jlin615 macrumors regular

My MacBook Pro is about 11 months old, I have just did a full drain/charge cycle on the battery since I forgot to calibrate my battery for the last 5 months. I just looked up the battery health, it shows 93% health/17 Cycles.
    Does this health percentage seem normal?

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

you should use it on the battery more often, it will keep the battery healthy (point of reference, I have an 11 month old MacBook that I use on battery at least once a day, even if not for a full drain - 179 cycles and 100% health)

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, I have 81 load-cycles in 5 months and still 100% battery life (though I question it now, actually, because my "original battery capacity" according to Coconut Battery is 5200 mAh and my "current battery capacity" is 5333 mAh. :confused: Still, can't complain.

jW

4. /V\acpower macrumors 6502

They are right. It's good for the battery to keep the electron moving in it.

5. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

so I guess my condition is leaning toward the bad side. you guys think if I calibrate it again will improve the health? since the last time I didn't continuosly drain the battery, first 50% drain in the morning and other 50% at night.

6. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

hey all... wats up with my mbp? its jus 8 weeks old and the number of clcyles is 15 and health is jus 96~~!!!:confused: wats up with it??? i did drain the battery jus once and the charge back up but thats about it..

7. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

You're definitely not exercising your battery enough.

Use it or lose it!!!

Probably within the normal range, but you should probably completely drain it and rechange it at least once a month.

8. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Good job taking care of your battery. My 17" PowerBook was purchased in February of 2006, so it's 19 months old. Here are my stats:

Attached Files:

9. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Honestly, 93% is fine. Anyhow it probably doesn't matter all that much to you since you rarely use it.

My battery went down to 89% health after 80 cycles, which I found to be pretty bad, but then I sold that MBP so now I'm back to 99% with 17 cycles, 1 month old :D

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

That sounds about right. My battery is at 92% after 5 months.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

My Macbook's 18 months old, 197 battery load-cycles, 76% capacity.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well that shouldn't have affected it. The important thing is that you let your battery die fully, ie, let it rest for more than six hours before plugging it back in. Only this gives actually calibrates the battery properly, as the computer has a better idea of what "0" is.

You are fine. There is always a slight amount of variation. Remember that your battery might have been manufactured several weeks/months before you began using it. There will be some minor loss of capacity as a result of that. Also, it doesn't seem like you calibrated correctly. Remember to let it sit for six or more hours without plugging it in. That's what makes it a "calibration."

13. klymr macrumors 65816

I've noticed that if I don't let mine drain very far and then charge it back up it makes the health drop. I dropped back down to 93% recently, but I drained it a little lower than I have been and it jumped back up to 97% after I charged it. Just do a calibrate and you'll jump back up, I'm sure.

Oh, BTW, I'm at 20 cycles.

14. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

here's mine...is this normal??????:eek:

Attached Files:

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'd say it's Clark Kent's double:p Seriously though, it seems fine.

16. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

I been keep the power adapter plugged in practically at all time in the last several month since I haven't had the need to take it anywhere, so I almost forgot there's a battery exist. It is amazing how some of you still maintain at 100% with that much cycles, at least compared to mine.

My last calibration was like 2 days ago. Actually, I drained first 90% of the battery in the morning (why? because I needed to run to work), then last 10% at night until complete empty. From there I brought it to full charge overnight, then noticed the battery health was in the mid-80's, so I drain out 10% and brought it to full charge again. Now the health stays at 93%.

I'm going to keep my MBP charged tonight (like it has been), and start continuously draining the battery tomorrow morning until empty. With the battery empty and MBP powered down I will charge it fully, and then check the health again. I really hope it gets back to at least 98%, maybe it just need extra round of calibration since the electrons been kept for 5 months (just a guess).

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      49.3 KB
      Views:
  17. /V\acpower macrumors 6502

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the calibration will not improve health directly.

You need to know that the battery is made of two independant parts.

-The battery itself that contain the charge.
    -A small chip that can read some data about the battery and also decide to when stop the charge (when it estimate that the battery is 100% charged)

The chip can only make estimate of what is left in the battery based on volt and amp. It's complicated, but essentially, theses datas ( i don't know exactly how) varies in a load cycle, so it can estimate a graph that represent what normally is left when the CHIP read one voltage. The problem is that with time, this variation in voltage in a cycle does change, so the graph used for the estimate will become more unnacurate over time.

What a normal calibration do is that you give the time to the battery to be fully charged for a long period, so that the chip can make a precise value of what are the datas when the battery is clearly full, and then when you use the battery power until it drain off, it takes information to make a more precise graph of the battery usage on this time.

The calibration help the chip to know more precisely when the battery, on is actual capacity, is full. Also, since it is not good for battery life to be overcharge, having a chip that know more precisely when to stop a charge, then calibration is good for your battery health.

So, if you calibrate it and you gain 1% of health, it is just the reading that is more precise and it will not represent an actual gain in the battery life.

(sorry for my poor english, it is not my first language.)

18. /V\acpower macrumors 6502

Also, since the calibration is more about recreating an ideal environment for the chip to make precise data, shutting it off or putting it to sleep will makes differences in the data the chip gets.

Stick with what Apple recommend :

1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
    2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.
    3. Disconnect the power adapter with the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.
    4. Continue to keep your computer on until it goes to sleep. Save all your work and close all applications when the battery gets very low, before the computer goes to sleep.
    5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
    6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

----

Do everything exactly as told. Interrupting the charging or the use of the computer simply destroy the purpose of the calibration.

Important, when the cpu is fully charged and when you want to begin using the battery until it stop, leave the computer plugged in, open the computer and when you are in MAC OS X, simply unplug the computer.

You may want to turn off automatic sleeping when you want to totally drain the battery.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Actually, you did really well:) Your post was pretty much dead on. Well done:)

PS: You claimed that English is not your first language, but your writing is sadly better than some native speakers.

20. lesfleanut macrumors newbie

21. Quiara macrumors regular

Quiara

Wow. I just got my MacBook 2 weeks (and 2 days) ago. And mine is already:

[​IMG]

22. Organichu macrumors newbie

Man, I need to grab one of these. I'm posting from a PC laptop right now whose battery (after 14 months) is at 8% capacity.

23. Iced Angel macrumors regular

is this normal ?

My Macbook pro : 5 weeks old, 96% capacity, 8 cycles
    My Friend's Macbook pro : 4 months old, 100% capacity, 89 cycles

:confused:

24. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

MacBook Battery / 54 cycles / 87%

My last battery showed 98 percent after 150 cycles...ended up being a ***** battery, so if your cycles-to-health ratio seems to good to be true it probably is.:eek:

25. /V\acpower macrumors 6502

Do a calibration and then verify again.