11 years. Alot has happened

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dukebound85, Sep 10, 2012.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

11 years ago on this day, I was a junior in HS. Sitting in calculus where my teacher started the class with saying about planes hitting a building

Alot has happened since then, be it increased government in the name of terror, to launching wars

Wonder what the US's state would have been in if not for that act. No 15 trillion deficit perhaps?

Crazy

2. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

I was in 6th grade, my mom woke me up with the news. I didn't know what the world trade center was, never will forget...

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Without two wars and only Bush's tax cuts, you bet our deficit would be a lot smaller. (That still didn't make the tax cuts a good idea, IMO.)

No Patriot Act...although you know in this high tech age, there would be encroachments on privacy anyway. 9/11 just made them more severe and easier for Congress to pass.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think the biggest change is that Western governments have been ruled by fear since 9/11 (or perhaps the electorate have been fearful and allowed their governments to get away with restricting civil liberties). If only Dubya hadn't been president at the time... While I believe he felt Iraq was a genuine threat, the real danger came from Afghanistan (and people sympathetic to extremist views in Pakistan).

5. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

6. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I remember standing on the helipad on the North Tower (I think it was), maybe as little as six months before 9/11. A very vivid memory, and I certainly won't forget it after the towers went down.

In some ways, I think the world has made a turn for the worse, in other ways better. I do think we could have done without all the killing, though.

7. q64ceo macrumors regular

I was a senior in HS myself.

Dan Rather said it best: September 11th, 2001, you will remember this day as long as you live

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

and apparently it could have possibly been prevented if we hadn't that administration running the house

The Deafness Before the Storm

conspiracy theorists will have a field day with this.

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

You don't need a conspiracy to explain it when the willful ignorance is so obvious. I don't think the neocons are willing to admit to themselves, even today, that they completely failed.

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The Clinton/Gore administration was fully up to speed and aware of the dangers al quaeda posed. We may not know what would have happened, or if anything could have prevented the attacks, but we do know the warnings wouldn't have been ignored.

11. edk99 macrumors 6502a

We probably wouldn't be getting xrayed and fondled at the airport if 9/11 did not happen. :D

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

[​IMG]

RIP to all that lost their lives. Throw all politics aside and hatred for past Presidents, those people who had their lives taken deserve to be honored.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

In both the United States and Iraq.

:(

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The BS politics should be kept separate from this day. Sept 11 is it's own day, Iraq and Afghanistan occurred months later.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Um, this day was used as a pretext for war plans, how you can say they are not immeasurably linked?

Part of not forgetting, is not forgetting the mistakes made in that time.

16. 184550 Guest

You're forgetting it was Clinton that refused to pull the trigger on a couple of operations that could have captured or killed bin Laden in the late 1990s.

It doesn't matter how focused he was on bin Laden if he never pulled the trigger.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's real simple, this day is about honoring those Americans who lost their lives 11yrs ago, nothing more. The legitimacy of the subsequent wars and the BS arguing about them should remain separate. These were civilians who did nothing but go about their daily lives, almost 3000 of them.

18. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I was on my second year in the Army, stationed at Fort Drum NY. One month later I was moved (PCS'ed) to Korea. I am sure I missed a lot of news stories that followed that. I was in Korea for almost 18 months. I remember that morning very well.

Most of my time while I was stationed at Fort Drum, it was an open post. Anyone could drive on and off it. About a month or so before 9/11 they started manning the gates and you needed ID or an official purpose to come on. I wonder if security intell is what made them secure the base.

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

A little article about a little note from one of the victims:

http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/9-11-note-changes-victim-s-family-s-lives-3854931.php

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Really?

Washington Post, Bill Press and CNN respectively.

(edit) The people who lost their lives must never be forgotten, and the mistakes that led to their deaths should never be repeated.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No.

I refuse to ignore the lessons we should have learned from 9/11. I refuse to ignore the rights that have been trampled on in response. I refuse to let this reaction happen again in my life time if there is anything I can do to prevent it.

That day shook me ELEVEN years ago. It's time to learn from it.

22. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Every time I see the burning towers and people jumping out the windows to their deaths I wonder to myself if I could make that decision.

Jump and know you're going to die, or risk the flames and smoke and try to escape.

23. 184550 Guest

And...? :confused:

I never said Clinton didn't make preparations. I said he never pulled the trigger.

The cruise missile strikes were lampooned even in their own time.

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

How far back shall we go? If Reagan hadn't funded Osama bin Laden in the 80s.....

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Thank you for setting the ground rules for the discussion.

Unfortunately, you're not the boss of me.