11 Years Old, a Mom, and Pushed to Marry Her Rapist in Florid

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 28, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/26/opinion/sunday/it-was-forced-on-me-child-marriage-in-the-us.html

pretty sick parents to marry off their daughter to her rapist

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

3. bandrews macrumors 6502a

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I was going to post this my article had a lot more info on the statistics of under 18 marriages one state does not even have a age where Marrage can't happen.

5. Altis macrumors 68020

Isn't it illegal in the U.S. though? I don't see how the law doesn't supersede anyone's grand delusions.

It reminds me of the Swedish court that recognized the marriage of a 14/15 year old to her older cousin because of "cultural" differences.

Like come on... we have these laws for a reason.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

7. bandrews macrumors 6502a

Apparently it's perfectly legal in some states. I KNOW, RIGHT???

8. HEK Suspended

HEK

Yup bible, koran, all of those nonsense writings. It was preferable to have the goat herders marry the female children rather than rape the camels and sheep. And let's mutilate the girls first so they get no sexual pleasure.

Yup advance culture......jeez

9. jerwin macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

And the Quran it seems
    --- Post Merged, May 28, 2017 ---
    State sanctioned .

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Attached Files:

12. HEK Suspended

HEK

Exactly....religious freedom... it not right to be swayed, indoctrinated, or unnecessary exposed to this dribble.

Keep it in your homes and places of servitude. I have right not to hear or see this nonsense. Frankly I'm sick of these followers. It simply not right that "in god we trust" is printed on our money. I'm being forced against my religious freedom to be exposed to other people's beliefs.

Think Thor and Zeus were some real gods to follow.

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Quick, mention the Quran, soften the blow.

14. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

So much for "developed" nation. This only shows that there is more to development than infrastructure and facilities. Development is first and foremost of the individual human, extrapolated onto a society, becomes culture after a point, and reflective of a state/ nation.

"In the name of the holy lord" is just a way to deflect individual blame, I have believed. That sense of right and wrong is supremely intrinsic, and is almost always developed in the self. The most religion can do is give a basic guide as to conduct, but ultimately the sense of right and wrong vests in the individual mind and conscience.

"guess you are getting married then" is just that woman's way of deflecting responsibility from herself and/ or avoiding some things while screwing the life of her daughter in process.

15. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

That is messed up! A statutory rape charge shouldn't go away just because you get a marriage license. If she was pregnant AND had the marriage license I would think if anything it would go towards proving guilt.

16. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

Dude. When I visit these forums (a forum about Apple products) mind you, I always start with new posts. Today I come across this nonsense. Do you even own any Apple products? You never post about them.... never.... why do you spend so much time on a computer forum about computers to post this stuff?

17. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

When you follow a book that was written a few thousand years ago and there are stories about REALLY young people getting married, this was "normal" because if you lived to 35 back then you were concidered really old and lucky to still be alive.

18. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

I know how to solve terrible crime, WHILE ridding the US of violent extremism.

Take people like this to lands reserved for violent extremists, and keep them busy with the head chopping so they'll leave the innocence alone.

NO, I am NOT joking. I seriously advocate for instant executions for rapists and cold blooded murderers. Nothing but roaches under my boot. **** how they grew up.

19. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

This little subforum here is actually a pretty good one. It's difficult to find forums that aren't complete trash. This is one of the few.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

This is the problem with having laws decided at a State level rather than implementing a national law of the land where everybody is treated equally.

21. Huntn, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Since I don't have a NYT subscription, I can't see the linked article. What demonination church is this? I imagine 11 is under the age of consent. :(
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2017 ---
    I agree that many such laws would benefit under a national standard.
    This is a subforum dedicated to this kind of topic. Feel free to avert your eyes and maybe change your browsing habits. :rolleyes:
    My understanding that in the 1700-1800 time frame, maybe later, puberty qualified people as adults. You are right for back then, you could be dead by 40, better get to reproducing. ;)

22. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I'm pretty sure he's in the right place. You on the other hand...
    We still love you man.

23. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Are you pro or anti devolution in the UK?

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I've got mixed feelings on it. I've found local governments should in theory be more in touch with their local constituents and be able to guide money into the right schemes to benefit the local community. However this is rarely the case. I live in Wales where we have our own assembly government. I supported its incarnation but it's one of the biggest waste of tax payers money. Jobs for the boys etc. I'm now more in favour of a more national government.

Regardless of where the government are located they all feather their own nests and business interests.

25. HEK Suspended

HEK

Dah.....you know this is PRSI, a section of the forum dedicated to political posts. If you want Apple news, reviews, product questions, etc. they can be found in the dozens upon dozens of other sections of the forum dedicated for that.

This section is to prevent the things we discuss here, from polluting the purely Apple product vast majority of this forum. That's where we all go to discuss Apple products.