110 shot, 17 killed in first 10 days of 2016 in Chicago

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 12, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Sounds like a mass shooting to me. Rahm Emmanuel, where are you?

3. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Time to tighten up those gun laws in Chicago. Oh wait..

4. XrayTed macrumors regular

XrayTed

Off to a slow start, I'm guessing things will pick up as the weather gets warmer

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

In Portland Oregon most fireworks are illegal, with the exception of sparklers, smoke bombs and other little stuff. However, across the border in Washington state, most of it's legal, mortars, sky rockets, etc. In fact, if you show them your Oregon ID you don't even have to pay their state taxes on it. Needless to say, everyone rushes up there and loads up and on the 4th on every street in Portland, they're all lighting off illegal fireworks.

Local laws will do little to nothing to prevent this type of thing if they're so freely and easily available just next door. Sort of like dry counties, the only real issue it creates for drinkers is the extra time it takes to drive and get their liquor.

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you can get anything from Mexico as well if you like.

7. XrayTed macrumors regular

XrayTed

What do fireworks laws have to do with Chicago murders, out of curiosity ?

8. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Again...
    3 days drive vs 30 minutes. Access matters.

9. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Including an interview with Sean Penn!

10. XrayTed macrumors regular

XrayTed

Ok, just more proof [as if any more was needed] that criminals will always get weapons regardless of what restrictive new laws are cooked up.
    By definition, criminals/thugs are not bound by any laws. The problem is actually more societal/cultural than pure criminality, and it is precisely this that the usual suspects refuse to address.

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Pffft. You don't have to go there, they are more then happy to bring it here into the U.S

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

So if people are going to run red lights anyway, should we have laws against it?

13. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

How dare you inject logic into this conversation! This was a nice fun-filled Yosemite Sam Convention until you poked in.

[​IMG]

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

HA!

You Sir, get snark award of the day. I like it. :)

15. XrayTed macrumors regular

XrayTed

No one is advocating no gun laws at all, needn't take this into the realm of the ludicrous.

I repeat, "The problem is actually more societal/cultural than pure criminality" - You can propose and enact new laws until you are blue in the face, until the root causes of chronic urban criminality are addressed, it will be business as usual for criminals and thugs.

Chicago, as is well known, already has some of the "toughest" gun laws on the books in this nation. Exactly which/what new laws are you proposing that would make a dent in this problem ?

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Crap thread is crap.

All you've proved is that local-level regulations don't work since somebody can drive a half hour to a neighboring city/county/state and not be subject to the same regulations.

Congrats on providing evidence that supports the argument for nationalized gun laws. :)

17. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

You're right. Perhaps it's time to ban cars and motorcycles.

A bit more than 30 minutes gets me to the Mexican border. And there are enough drugs flowing through here to tell me that guns wouldn't be difficult to score. And since we are happy to export lots of military equipment to Mexico, a fair bit of which ends up with the traffickers, why bother wasting my arrest on a semi. Might as well go full auto.

18. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

criminals can get guns because Americans demand easy access to guns. we have created armed criminals because our gun needs. If Americans did not have guns criminals would not have guns.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Thousands of guns would be smuggled across the Mexican border.

20. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Sound more like evidence for more local gun law enforcement.

Maybe they could stop people and search them for stuff.

21. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Vehicles, designed to get you from point A to point B. Guns are designed to point at and kill a target, as quickly and efficiently as possible.

22. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Chicago shows what happens when you let your city run down to a crap state. when that happens people tend to get crazy and crazy people use guns more. thats the lesson there crazy people and guns go hand in hand.

23. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

While I agree with gun laws, IMO it's fair to hit Chicago and their leadership, who happens to be Democratic. Even Obama acknowledged them during his address last week. Politics aside, its inner-city frankly sounds lie a war zone and it appears that there's much deeper systemic problem going on.

24. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Rahm is a clueless clown who should resign.

Of course, this problem is just a symptom of the decline of the American workforce and the growing poverty in this country. What else do you expect to happen when wages have remained stagnant and actually lost purchasing power over the last few decades? Even good people turn to criminal enterprise if that's all that is left for them to put food on the table and a roof over their heads.

25. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

A misused vehicle is just as lethal to the innocent as a misused weapon of any other type.

Guns are designed to discharge a projectile at a high rate of speed, ideally in the direction in which they are facing. Any decision regarding the desired defacing, injuring, or killing of a target or innocent is at the discretion and judgment of the user. It's a major reason I support firearm education programs that revolve around not touching guns you are unfamiliar with or do not know how to operate, and seeking appropriate guidance. I shot my first revolver a couple weeks ago, did not and would not touching until I was clear about any unique safety risks that a revolver presents and the basic functionality (loading cylinder, action type, etc.)