Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

154918-dresden_apple_store_interior.jpg

Dresden retail store under construction (Source: iFun.de)
As noted by ifoAppleStore, Apple is poised to end its longest drought of store openings tomorrow when the company opens the doors on its new Altmarkt-Galerie store in Dresden, Germany. The store will be company's first in the city and fifth in Germany and will be the first Apple retail store to open since the University Park Mall store in Indiana opened for business on November 13, 2010, a span of 138 days that beats the previous longest gap of 105 days.
Apple opens the majority of its stores in the pre-Thanksgiving period, with a few construction-delayed stragglers before Christmas. Last year's final grand opening was on November 13th at the University Park Mall (Ind.) and none have opened since. The previous record for no store openings was set between January 25, 2003 for the Knox Street (Tex.) store, and May 10th for the Walt Whitman (NY) store.

155118-dresden_apple_store_opening.jpg

Grand opening banner on Apple's page for Dresden retail store
Despite the lack of openings over the past few months, Apple has not been entirely silent on the construction front, with a number of other locations currently under construction. The company has also been pushing forward on renovations and expansions at some of its locations, as evidenced by the Knox Street store in Dallas currently being located in temporary quarters while its permanent home is expanded and renovated and the SoHo store in Manhattan also being set for expansion.

Article Link: Apple to End Longest Gap in Retail Store Openings With New Dresden Store

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
For goodness sakes! Open one in London Ontario already.

Hah, was thinking about ontario myself.. more Hamilton/Burlington would be nice.

Actually, there was an article recently about possible Apple store opening in Conestoga Mall in Waterloo, Ontario.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
According to arguments on another thread, "apple" is generic and "store" is generic so "Apple Store" is generic and Apple can't own the name. :rolleyes:

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Actually, there was an article recently about possible Apple store opening in Conestoga Mall in Waterloo, Ontario.

Nothing possible about it. It's a done deal. I'm in Waterloo, and I've seen the locale. There's lots of chatter, but no word on when it's opening yet. I'm looking forward to seeing the place!

philr5150

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2010
Omaha, NE
At first I was really surprised that people actually count the days between store openings - but then I remembered, Apple fans are an intense bunch. I think though counting the days between store openings is only slightly less sad then queuing a week in advance for a new-release iDevice :)

As for the comment about wasting resources on building stores - agreed to a point, sometimes it is nice to actually see and touch the device first. Before I bought my aTV2 I wanted to see it in the flesh, so to speak - I wasn't going to just order it blind off the website. Plus there's the "instant gratification" factor - don't have to wait for it to be delivered.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I am personally against wasting resources to build more stores. What's wrong with just ordering online?

But you're not against wasting resources to build the devices you like to buy? Or the resources used to bring you the internet?

Seems hypocritical to me? :rolleyes:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I am personally against wasting resources to build more stores. What's wrong with just ordering online?

By that logic nobody should build any store of any kind anymore and we all stay home.

I think we should employ Apple to invent a device that enables us to get gas or whatever fuel is needed to drive our cars.

Of course delivered through the internet with real thick cable the size of hoses.

You need to watch Wall-e to see what happens next!

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
Because sometimes I need things right away. Also, you hide in your house all day and order everything online? :D

I agree, if anything we need more stores, I can't mention enough but our Apple Store in AK is slated for sept. :D

Can't wait.

We need more reasons as people to go back to the store, to get out and interact with people, even if its just a Apple Store. Apple unlike many tech companies out there has the uncanny ability to move its users into social movements, groups and situations.

No one is getting together to show eachother Dell's or HP's.

Whenever you see a Apple Store, you see people talking, laughing, sharing, the occasional psychotic freakout at the genius bar, but hey....its still a social interaction.

Computers have become almost, TOO personal, we keep them secret, hidden, ugly grey boxes covered in dust bunnies and cheeto dust under your desk. Apple products have a tendency to want to be out in the open, shared, and shown to others.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
For gods sake, can we have at least one store in the Republic of Ireland?

Not one Apple Store in the whole Republic. Even Northern Ireland has one. :(

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Nothing possible about it. It's a done deal. I'm in Waterloo, and I've seen the locale. There's lots of chatter, but no word on when it's opening yet. I'm looking forward to seeing the place!

Awesome, its a smaller city, but smart move considering the students/schools there. And right in RIM's backyard is always nice too lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.