1132x640 & Taller Screen Not Happening

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by loybond, Sep 11, 2012.

1. loybond macrumors regular

I really don't think it's likely that the new iPhone will have the 1132x640 screen it's rumoured to have. Here's why:

I'm not aware of a panel (monitor, TV, phone, tablet etc.) that doesn't adhere to some ratio. E.g. computer monitors have resolutions that are exact multiples of 16 and 9/10, as in not off by a few pixels. If the current width of 640px is kept (which is not a multiple of 9), the screen works out to 1137.78. 1132x640 works out to a 15.92:9 ratio.

That makes it seem super unlikely to me, cuz it doesn't really provide a benefit. 16:9 content will have bars. 4:3 and 3:2 content will have bars, legacy apps will have bars. Nothing will natively fit the new screen, except new apps.

And why would they go 16:9? What percentage of a phone's use is watching 16:9 content? It seems to me that browsing, e-mail, phone, music and apps are still the primary use, and 16:9 doesn't make any of that better.

Apple has stuck to the 3:2 ratio since the very beginning, check this prototype out from 2005 so if a change needs to be made, why make a small change that doesn't really accomplish anything? What's more likely is a really BIG change looking towards the future, but IMO, still with a 3:2 screen.

I liken this to camera mounts. Canon has stuck with its EF/EF-S mount for a long, long time (decades), and only now that mirrorless is here in a big way is moving to the M-mount in the future.

I think that if the technology existed, Apple might go with a 4-4.3" 3:2 display of 1280x1920 resolution, but that seems a few years away. If the leaks are accurate, and the popular rumour is true, I'll be disappointed for sure. Still hoping there's a master deception in place, that would be mad cool!

2. newyorksole macrumors 68030

3. Martyrd0m macrumors regular

Martyrd0m

Posting a photo of an uncomfirmed "leaked" phone is a great convincing post. bravo!

4. Omacc macrumors member

at this point , proving anything is pointless, its announced tomorrow.

5. irDigital0l Guest

Yea I agree it won't happen...

until tomorrow when Apple announces it.

6. samac92 macrumors 6502a

The rumours say 1136, not 1132.

1136/16 * 9 = 639.

1 pixel away from exactly 16:9.

1366 * 768 is a standard resolution and that isn't exactly 16:9 to the pixel.

It is happening.

7. Geckotek, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Nope. You're mistaken. Width in pixels is more important than changing those pixels to hit a broadcast standard....especially on a non-broadcast device.

Despite the fact that bars will exist in some content, it will exist in less content and they will be smaller.

Apple stuck with the 30-pin connector all along as well. This is Apple's move to the M-mount. Right now.

8. AFDoc macrumors 68030

He posted a picture of an unconfirmed "leaked" phone that the preponderance of information out there says is the new iPhone. There is however zero proof that any other screened iPhone is being releases. SO, you give newyorksole guff for posting those pictures (which is going to be the iPhone shown tmr, accept it) but not OP for basically pulling his post out of his butt. Yeah, makes sense.

Love the new design and am just waiting for the flood of "it's so unapple" re-threads that will most likely come with tmr's confirmation of this design.

9. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

What is stopping people from offering their own speculations on the new iPhone. Is it required that someone agree with everything and every rumor. There's still the small chance that this is all a hoax, and we'll have no proof what's what until tomorrow. People are allowed to voice their opinions on this website about wether they think rumors are true or not. There's nothing wrong with this thread at all.

Maybe instead of him stopping, you should stop.

BACK TO THE TOPIC:

The ratio from my understanding was 16:9, isn't it? Regardless even if it's at a 15.92:9 ratio, there wouldn't be any black bars other than a screen border on 16:9 content. I do agree though that 16:9 isn't a very optimal resolution for a phone (I feel like Web Browsing is going to suck on this compared to a 3:2 screen), either way, wether it's taller, wider, or both, screen size is only a small part of the puzzle.

----------

Nothing the OP is saying is pulled out of his butt. He offered his position and had substance to back it up.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

11. AFDoc macrumors 68030

His opinion is not substance. Many, many pictures, video's, actual parts is substance.

He of course isn't saying anything new. There has been about 100 other threads dedicated to why the stretched iPhone isn't the next phone to which he could of added his thoughts.

12. dgreene196 macrumors member

Wouldn't browsing, email, and apps benefit from more real estate (vertically) to allow more lines of text? Wouldn't maps benefit from more pixels to show more area of a given map (or the same area in addition to room at the top or bottom for turn by turn directions)? Wouldn't a wider screen (in a horizontal orientation) allow for a better Cover Flow browsing experience? Or better media consumption (especially television)? There are lots of potential benefits in a 16:9 ratio screen.

13. dotme macrumors 6502a

Phone in photo is fake (I don't believe Apple would make the camera opening smaller in the next iPhone) but I do believe the 16x9 is for real and will be unveiled tomorrow.

14. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

He has a valid argument with valid legitimate points. Basically every other thread about the screen size has the argument "becuz i apple would never do that!!11!!:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:" just like the "its iphone 6!!!!!!11!:apple::apple::apple:" threads. They have no arguments or points. This OP actually brings an argument to the table.

The only major benefit is really a better cover flow experience and stock design apps using it. Everything else would have little to no, or even worse cases, unless there was an enhancement to the wideness.

I honestly think that Apple is going to use the design seen in the leaks, but it will also be wider (but not by much).

----------

...did you just c&p this?

15. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

This is why I think the leaked image is not real or true. Look at the camera lens size. In the new iphone is smaller. I don't think they will change the camera in this new device. I think it's gonna have the same camera from the 4S.

16. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

Hey guys! I heard there was this one picture of a "leaked" photo from Gizmodo...

But it looks like crap, I mean glass!? Seriously! That will never happen.

17. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Just wonder WHY folks who are fans of apple have so much doubt, even with multiple EQUALLY simular results of stuff coming out.

Do you just dare to be different to spark up conversation. 1pm EST will be here soon. Just gotta get to lunch break...

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

He's doing it in multiple threads. Not sure why. Report him.

19. Martyrd0m macrumors regular

Martyrd0m

Guess you forgot last year when everyone was screaming iPhone 5 and case makers were stocking up on larger tear drop shaped designs? Yeah because that came true. The OP has a pretty well put together thought and good convincing post. newyorksole did nothing but copy and paste a ****** leaked photo of a phone said to the the new iPhone. Im not going to accept anything til 1pm tomorrow when its actually unveiled.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Last year we didn't have part leaks. Completely different.

21. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

That's what everyone said about the iPhone 4 design too, but lookie, everyone loves the way it looks now....

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Apparently you missed the sarcasm switch.

23. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

That is was what I was referring to.

24. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Yeah, I sorta picked it up after the post....heheh...:eek:

25. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It's definitely going to happen. Multiple tech sites or individuals who have either decent or good track records have said so, in combination with all the hardware leaks it's a pretty legitimate rumour. On top of that, the iPhone simulator runs with five rows of icons when tweaked to run at 1136x640 in iOS 6, but that doesn't work at all in iOS 5 -- you just get a lot of space between them. And there's probably more!