Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

amazon_mac_download_store.jpg

As noted by The Loop, Amazon has launched a new download store for Mac OS X applications, going head-to-head against Apple's Mac App Store. While Amazon's download store does not offer the level of system integration featured by Apple's store, it does offer a few big name titles like Microsoft Office that are not available through Apple's Mac App Store.
Competing directing with Apple's Mac Store, Amazon says its store has 250 of the biggest software and game titles available for Mac. In fact, they have some titles that Apple's store doesn't.
A number of popular video game publishers including EA, Aspyr, and Feral Interactive are also included on Amazon's store.

Amazon's download mechanism appears to offer a basic downloadable installer for each title, forgoing any integrated installation system. Purchases are also stored in users' digital lockers associated with their Amazon accounts, allowing unlimited downloads for personal use.

To celebrate the launch of the Mac download store, Amazon is offering a one-time use coupon good for $5 off of a purchase from the store through June 1st.

Article Link: Amazon's New Mac Download Store Takes On Apple's Mac App Store

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This can only be good for software developers, and as a consequence for Apple's hardware sales. The more software available, the better. And since so so many people complained about the 30% "Apple tax", I bet Amazon will give 100% of the purchase price to the developer. :D

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Ok, this is nice and all, but without the tight system integration this is really just "Amazon.com can do software downloads."

That's great, really, but it's not exactly the same thing.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
This can only be good for software developers, and as a consequence for Apple's hardware sales. The more software available, the better. And since so so many people complained about the 30% "Apple tax", I bet Amazon will give 100% of the purchase price to the developer. :D

Well, kind of. If you have your app in the Mac App Store you aren't allowed to sell it anywhere else for a better price to cover the 30% hit Apple takes.

shokunin

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
I don't trust amazon.com at all. They deleted one of my accounts, long time customer 10+ years, over 120 orders on the account and they deleted it because I had 4 returns over the past 12 months. They only restored it after much complaining, and the fact that I had gift certificate balance that is illegal to just "wipe" out. With that wipe-out all the past orders, receipts, everything would be gone.

I wouldn't trust them with my serials or receipt of software.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Who realistically complains about Apple's 30%? They aren't making a profit from that 30%, that's what it cost them to buy the hardware and pay the employees to keep the app store running.

Amazon will face similar hardware and employee requirements, plus they need to make a profit, because, unlike apple, they're not making the computers the apps run on. At best, Amazon will charge the same 30%, but I suspect they'll take a greater cut than that.

Well, kind of. If you have your app in the Mac App Store you aren't allowed to sell it anywhere else.

Really? I hadn't heard of that, and I feel like you must be wrong, because many of the games available on the Mac App Store (IE: Braid and Bejewled,) are also available on Steam for Mac.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009

How would they make money then? Not everything can be a loss leader.

JangoFett124

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Who realistically complains about Apple's 30%? They aren't making a profit from that 30%, that's what it cost them to buy the hardware and pay the employees to keep the app store running.

I can guarantee you they are making a profit from that 30%. A large profit.

chr

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
If this is anything like their digital downloads of computer games, it's going to be terribly implemented and full of bugs.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

Absolutely. For one, their overhead and labour costs aren't tied in any way to the cost of the application. Whether an app costs $0.99 or $100, Apple pays the same amount to host it on their server, but the higher-priced app nets them much more profit.

Steve always struts out numbers during keynotes like "We're proud to announce that we've paid out over $1 billion to our developers" -- which if you do the math means Apple's cut was over $400 million.

ivantod

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
For us in Europe, it should probably be mentioned that this service is, as expected, of course US only.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003

They'd be kinda stupid not to; that's the whole point of a business.

(Note that distributors of material good often take a far larger cut, anywhere from 45 to 60 percent. Anybody who thinks 30% is price gouging is ignorant and naive about the nuts and bolts of business).

ericmooreart

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
NY,NY
Ok, this is nice and all, but without the tight system integration this is really just "Amazon.com can do software downloads."

That's great, really, but it's not exactly the same thing.

I'm not trashing your post but why do I need system integration? I buy my software, download it, install it with my serial number. Go to its preferences, check for updates, Done.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Wrong. You can sell it in either place.

He already changed his post to clarify that they can't sell it anywhere else for cheaper, which sounds like it may be right... And may be illegal... sounds kind if like price fixing to me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.