Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has taken ownership of the domain iCloud.com. The domain was believed to have been sold to Apple for a price tag of $4.5 million. Prior to today, the whois domain registration listed Xcerion as the owner.

This change in domain registration information means Apple has control of the domain and will be able to redirect it to their own site. At present, iCloud.com still points to Xcerion's own service that has been renamed to CloudMe.com. Apple is also now listed as owner of iCloud.org as well.

Apple has already confirmed that they will be introducing "iCloud" at WWDC next week. Apple has started trademark registrations for iCloud and seems to be readying for its imminent launch.

Article Link: Apple Takes Control of iCloud.com

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Here's hoping that Apple iCloud will beat all the recently announced premature services.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
So is iCloud.com supposed to go live after WWDC? Because it keeps redirecting me to Cloudme.com, but WWDC '11 will be amazing.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
What happens in 2018 when it expires?
This:
2012-john-cusack-peet.jpg

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
I wish I had been clever enough to register iCloud.com a long time ago. :(

Apple will renew their registration for the name in 2018, I suppose. If Apple is still using that brand.

"WWDC '11 will be amazing." Indeed! :)

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I'm very excited to see how iCloud turns up.

But I am wondering if they are going to greatly enhance the MobileMe Gallery to the iCould Gallery (or whatever new name they give it) that would get me to stop using Flickr.

If they make iCould free and bring a social photo uploading such as facebook or flickr, I'll actually start using it.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Out of curiosity, how do big companies like Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc buy their domains? Is it just like the average user and they go to some place like Godaddy.com or Hover.com? I'm going to assume not.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
What happens in 2018 when it expires?

What makes you think it will expire ? If you've never owned a domain name before, here is how it goes : About 90 days prior to the expiry, your registrar sends you a nice e-mail asking you to pay for additional time. You then call them/visit their website/e-mail them/use whatever other contact method to provide them payment and they simply change the expiry date to a new one.

Domains don't expire unless you let them expire by not renewing your registration with your registrar.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Out of curiosity, how do big companies like Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc buy their domains? Is it just like the average user and they go to some place like Godaddy.com or Hover.com? I'm going to assume not.

Apple users MarkMonitor, and is basically just another registrar. The issue is if you want a domain that someone else owns, then you have to buy it from them.

Even worse, is trying to buy a domain from a company that is actively using it. Which was the case of iCloud.com.

arn

Too much non-Apple originated media + low end AT&T data plan + HDD cheaper than ever/latest and greatest comes with more space than ever = me scratching head regarding how iCloud will simplify/better my life.

I do hope though, that its good for the folks who can take advantage of the service:)

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
What makes you think it will expire ? If you've never owned a domain name before, here is how it goes : About 90 days prior to the expiry, your registrar sends you a nice e-mail asking you to pay for additional time. You then call them/visit their website/e-mail them/use whatever other contact method to provide them payment and they simply change the expiry date to a new one.

Domains don't expire unless you let them expire by not renewing your registration with your registrar.

If you look at the pic in the OP, it says record will expire 15 Jan 2018. I figured Apple wouldn't have an issue renewing a domain name, I was just curious.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If you look at the pic in the OP, it says record will expire 15 Jan 2018. I figured Apple wouldn't have an issue renewing a domain name, I was just curious.

All domains say that. When you register a domain, you do so for X time, usually counted in years. Some registrars offer different lengths of time, based on the rules placed by the registration authority for the gTLD or ccTLD you are registering in.

In this case, the domain was registered until 2018. Hence it's expiry date. Again, before that date comes, Apple will receive a nice "domain expiry warning!" to remind them to renew the registration.

To answer someone else : Apple and all others use the "same" registrars we do, except they usually don't go for the cheap "godaddy.com" and others, they use bigger, more entreprise oriented ones like NetSol (sorry, it's NetworkSolutions these days).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.