Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal briefly reports on a research note from Hong Kong-based analyst firm CLSA claiming that checks with Apple's suppliers indicate that the next-generation iPad will debut before the end of this year, in time for the holiday shopping rush. According to the report, the updated iPad will include improvements to the display and LTE compatibility for cellular data use.
While most vendors appear fixated on matching the specs and features of iPad2, our checks suggest Apple will release iPad3 in time for the holiday season, sporting a better display and LTE capabilities.
Rumors surfacing right around the time of the iPad 2's debut earlier this year had indicated that Apple could be planning to release yet another update to the device around the September timeframe. Excitement around those rumors has since been tempered amid reports that the next-generation iPad is unlikely to debut this year. Recent reports have claimed that Apple is just now beginning the certification process for components to be used in the next-generation iPad, with a timetable putting the device's launch into 2012.

CLSA does not have a significant track record of supply chain rumors regarding Apple's products, and thus it is not entirely clear why The Wall Street Journal has chosen to highlight the firm's report. In addition, claims of LTE compatibility for an iPad to be released before the end of the year appear to conflict with Qualcomm's development timeline for Apple-suitable LTE chips that will not begin sampling until late this year and will not appear in devices until 2012. Consequently, we are primarily pointing to CLSA's report for interest and discussion.

Article Link: Analysts Claim LTE-Enabled iPad Arriving Before the Holidays

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Who the heck are these "analysts" and what the hell do they know?!

I mean really, have any "analysts" been right? Other than seeing a leaked photo and then giving their thoughts?

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
Didn't Steve Jobs say that 2011 is the YEAR of the iPad 2?

Didn't Steve Jobs say that 2011 is the YEAR of the iPad 2? Additionally, many people would be greatly angered if their $850 product along with the smart covers and accessories were out of date literally 1/3 of a year later.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Didn't Steve Jobs say that 2011 is the YEAR of the iPad 2? Additionally, many people would be greatly angered if their $850 product along with the smart covers and accessories were out of date literally 1/3 of a year later.

This. Lol....economically it just not make any sense. Hell the verizon iPhone didn't make any sense! Just a random release! Anyways yeah if I got an iPad 2 only for a better one to come out in like 4 months I would be looking for a refund and support from all the other angry customers:eek:

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
Analysts: your mouths are writing "checks" thats your butt cant cash.

Plus how can you determine when the next iPad will be released if we are still fumbling back and forth the the iPhone 4s release for August/September??

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
If they do release an LTE iPad, hopefully it'll replace the existing GSM and CDMA iPads. The last thing we need is separate WiFi, GSM, CDMA, LTE models each in 2 colors and 3 capacities.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
They can't keep up with demand as it is. Most markets don't even have LTE yet. I wouldn't count on any updates until 2012.

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I'll kill Steve Jobs if this is true after shelling out $1500 for 2 iPad 2s.

mtkoren

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2005
Possibly frustrated but appreciative

My feelings about apple changing the ipad again is not the same as the other commentators here. And yeah I recently purchased a 3G iPad2.

To me this is a rapidly evolving technology and if indeed apple does refresh them after only 6-9months after the intro, i think I'm actually more glad than annoyed. Like other people commenting here I really love having the latest and greatest. Yeah, when the ipad2 came out, I bought an ipad1 at a reduced price (remember how apple reduced them in the first week?) and after having it for a week, decided I really wanted the 2nd edition and returned it (full refund) and got the other at full price.

So it has been maybe 3 months now of great experience. But just like the limitations of the 1st edition prevented some of the new programs like imovie and some others from being a polished app ready for that machine, I can already see how the ipad2 limitations is holding back innovation in the app market. And frankly I am enthusiastic about Apple's leadership here getting this type of device so rapidly in our faces without clear evidence it would succeed. And also am aghast at the copycat attempts to catch up thinking that it is the hardware that they need to make better while pushing incomplete and buggy software out.

So yeah I'm cheering Apple for having gotten me hooked on this great device and if they can speed up the product development timeline due to the competition out there - in other words they are aggressively responding (a far cry from being stymied by behind trapped into AT&T exclusivity and threatening market share erosion by Android which had a field day on CDMA networks) - then I say this is the price we pay for this level of sped up R&D that in the end we'll all benefit from.

Besides, who says you have to update every single refresh cycle. Sit and gloat, knowing you'll pass up on the next one and instead wait for the one after that, passing up those who got that next one. how's that?!

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Could be.
Might not be.
Who knows that is willing to speak?

More self-promotion for analysts (kooky journalistic psychics).

emyholdem

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Norwich, United Kingdom
Might work, especially if the rumored iPad discounts with the Back To School promotions go ahead. That was the plan with the iPod model's, get rid of the old before you bring in the new, could apply here aswell.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I have "inside" confirmation that the iPad 3 will come out in October. It will have Retina Display, but I that is all I know about the iPad 3. iPhone 5 (or whatever u wanna call it) will come out September, and the design will be identical. My source is anonymous, just remember this comment come October.

IconicM

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Houston, Tx
New iPad before the Holiday's would be another home run for Apple, and would surely drive the spec chasing competition insane.

That alone would be enough for me (if I were Apple) to make it happen.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Adding an LTE version could be done at any time, since the radio board is a separate plugin on the iPad.

The question is, would Apple do that with the current model (like the GSM or CDMA versions), or use the opportunity to bump some specs at the same time. Could go either way.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
My currentiPad 2 is the last one with 3G build in I will buy. Next one will be WiFi only. Because I will get a LTE Wifi rout which can connect more then one device so a) I don't need to dream about tethering anymore
b) can use the same device also for my MBA or next MBP next year.

So iPad n with LTE: ok, but not for me

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
I can see a new iphone coming out at end of year, but ipad 3 I don't think so. Two products coming out at the same time is a bit of a stretch.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I think that LTE iPad 2 will arrive somewhere near February 2012, and iPad 3 will be released on September 2012. If they want to make it a "revolutionary" product, they might want to wait until Retina 10" displays become a cost-viable option, and ARM C/GPUs become powerful and cheap enough to drive such a big number of pixels. More power-effective chips and screens also will allow for a lighter and cheaper iPad due to smaller batteries. Duh, and also more space for a better camera. Revolution is also driven by software, and they need iOS 6 for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.