Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Concurrent with the launch of Final Cut Pro X yesterday, Apple discontinued both Final Cut Express and Final Cut Server. Final Cut Express was Apple's "lite" video editing program, meant to bridge the gap between the free iMovie and $999 Final Cut Studio package.

With Final Cut Pro now priced at $299, Apple clearly felt that a bridge program was no longer necessary.

Both Express and Server are unavailable on the Apple Online Store, and their both of their old product pages on Apple.com redirect to the new Final Cut Pro page.

Article Link: Apple Discontinues Final Cut Express with Launch of FCP X

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It was easy to see this coming, with FCE priced nearly the same as the new Pro. I've used FCE off and on, but never liked its interface. It was always picky about the media it imported and never (for me) exported well. I fell back on iMovie. Once I got used to iMovie's interface, FCE seemed arcane to me. I can whip projects together in about half the time it took me in iMovie 6 or in FCE. I'm thrilled about FC X and am eager to try it.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I have to give kudos to apple for giving us price breaks on newer software. More than makes up for the lack of discs.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Makes sense they'd drop Express when X was priced the same.

I have to give kudos to apple for giving us price breaks on newer software. More than makes up for the lack of discs.

Agreed. As a consumer, I expected a price drop since they were't designing/manufacturing/shipping a physical product. But as a long-time Apple user, I had faith that they would find a way to "justify" no price drops (server space, bandwidth, something about "magical," or taking a page form ticketmaster's "convenience fee" book, etc.).

All jokes aside, smart move (on lots of fronts) Apple. Thanks.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
The 'bargain basement' price of FCPX is about what the upgrade for FCS was. Yet FCS also included a decent audio app and cinema tools and a DVD authoring app (rather than export and a few templates). It also included Motion and Compressor, which are now additional applications to purchase. So while this might seem like a great bargain, it's not necessarily all that it seems.

the free iMovie
iMovie is only 'free' if you purchase a new Mac when, arguably, the cost is absorbed into the whole package. To upgrade you need to buy iLife when, arguably, it's only free if you consider other parts of the suite to be the full value.

Last edited by a moderator:

Badbaw

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
In a perfect world, FCPX would be iMovie, and the actual FCPX would be everything in FCS plus more.

It's odd though, because throughout all these years, instead of enriching iMovie, Apple has continually dumbed it down (especially feature-wise). The interface is fun and all, but simple things like limiting clip speeds to a minimal spectrum (for one), is ridiculous, even for amateurs. Instead they replace those features with gimmicky 'trailer templates' and 'highlights' and fun stuff like that.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I'm sure that some would argue that with a number of high end features missing that were in 7, FCX *is* the new midrange prosumer app. Problem is, right now there isn't a version that fills the needs of people working on feature film or broadcast TV.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I was hoping they'd make a $79 Express in the App store. -_-;

wtf. This Final Cut swerve is pretty crazy, satisfying none of the market decently.

Badbaw

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
I was hoping they'd make a $79 Express in the App store. -_-;

wtf. This Final Cut swerve is pretty crazy, satisfying none of the market decently.

Remember, Apple has stressed that fulfilling updates will ensue. We need to retain at least some patience for the 1st major update before we give up all hope.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
As a FCE user, I don't mind this move.

Although $299 is higher than what FCE costs ($199 retail, $99 for version upgrade), I could justify the expense because FCE users are getting more features (minus few minor ones). Inability to import project is the only major bummer, especially since iMovie users have that option.

This is just my theory, but I think Apple will be adding lots of substantial features to appease FCP users, making $299 expense even more worthwhile for FCE users (it would be like getting next version upgrade for free).

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Remember, Apple has stressed that fulfilling updates will ensue. We need to retain at least some patience for the 1st major update before we give up all hope.

Can you point to where Apple has said this? I have read a few accounts that are second hand but nothing at all directly from Apple.

BoomLive

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011
Orange City, IA
For Apple to really leave legacy technology behind and redefine the future of video editing they should re-release iMovie '06 HD.

yeah i still have iMovie 6 bc its just better to use. Of course I have moved on to FCE 4 but I just prefer iMovie 6. Sure they added all the cool video and audio effects but they got rid of the timeline view and gave you something totally different.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I've read all the BS and hype and hate about FCPX. And to me it's all horse crap. To me these are the facts.

1. Apple had the balls to redesign FCP from the ground up. And remove most of the useless legacy code. Sure a couple of people will cry about this. But Apple got out of the "Pleasing everyone with 1000 versions of everything" business the day Steve returned to Apple. They release products that will satisfy the majority of people. And their $65+ billion in the bank now proves this way worked.

2. This is a version 1.0 program. It'll take time to mature and have all the features added. And not one pro will switch Apps mid job. They'll use the same Apps and just spend a little time with the new one to learn now to integrate it into their future jobs. And by they time they've done this Apple will have added in more if the most requested features.

3. The price is fantastic. Sure for major networks money is no issue. But for everyone else (ie. small business and the prosumer) they can now reasonably save up and afford FCPX. And with Apple saying it'll add new features and point updates much quicker it's win win.

4. A few spoilt pros are complaining FCPX does not have feature X they need. I ask them does what you use now have feature X? And I would guess their answer would be yes cause they would not be using it if it does not. If you are with a network or some large company $299 to try out FCPX is nothing. The only thing that they will find hard is finding someone free to try it out. As most companies work their staff hard cause they are too cheap to hire more people.

5. Does FCPX deserve 10/10? No. But for a 1.0 release it's pretty good. The pros need to see FCPX 1.0 as a means to an end and not the end itself. Ie. Not something they can use today in all their jobs but something that will evolve over time and will one day be very capable. And that one day will be coming very soon I think.

Would you rather use software that is pretty perfect now but a PITA to update for the devs cause they didn't think properly about a long term plan. Or would you rather use software that is very good now but not perfect but written on a base that is easy to upgrade and keep modern? I'd take the latter any day.

Some people are taking like FCPX is something you buy today and just use it at face value. Just like most apps. But they'd be wrong with these kind of pro apps. All the pros think long and hard before they swap apps. And they make sure the App (and it's future updates) will do what they need long into the future too.

So in that vein sure FCPX 1.0 is not perfect. But for all of the above what i said it's well worth the price and soon in the future it'll get even better.

aaaaaaron

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
I've read all the BS and hype and hate about FCPX. And to me it's all horse crap. To me these are the facts.

1. Apple had the balls to redesign FCP from the ground up. And remove most of the useless legacy code. Sure a couple of people will cry about this. But Apple got out of the "Pleasing everyone with 1000 versions of everything" business the day Steve returned to Apple. They release products that will satisfy the majority of people. And their $65+ billion in the bank now proves this way worked.

2. This is a version 1.0 program. It'll take time to mature and have all the features added. And not one pro will switch Apps mid job. They'll use the same Apps and just spend a little time with the new one to learn now to integrate it into their future jobs. And by they time they've done this Apple will have added in more if the most requested features.

3. The price is fantastic. Sure for major networks money is no issue. But for everyone else (ie. small business and the prosumer) they can now reasonably save up and afford FCPX. And with Apple saying it'll add new features and point updates much quicker it's win win.

4. A few spoilt pros are complaining FCPX does not have feature X they need. I ask them does what you use now have feature X? And I would guess their answer would be yes cause they would not be using it if it does not. If you are with a network or some large company $299 to try out FCPX is nothing. The only thing that they will find hard is finding someone free to try it out. As most companies work their staff hard cause they are too cheap to hire more people.

5. Does FCPX deserve 10/10? No. But for a 1.0 release it's pretty good. The pros need to see FCPX 1.0 as a means to an end and not the end itself. Ie. Not something they can use today in all their jobs but something that will evolve over time and will one day be very capable. And that one day will be coming very soon I think.

Would you rather use software that is pretty perfect now but a PITA to update for the devs cause they didn't think properly about a long term plan. Or would you rather use software that is very good now but not perfect but written on a base that is easy to upgrade and keep modern? I'd take the latter any day.

Some people are taking like FCPX is something you buy today and just use it at face value. Just like most apps. But they'd be wrong with these kind of pro apps. All the pros think long and hard before they swap apps. And they make sure the App (and it's future updates) will do what they need long into the future too.

So in that vein sure FCPX 1.0 is not perfect. But for all of the above what i said it's well worth the price and soon in the future it'll get even better.

Fact remains, it mostly sucks right now. And it doesn't take balls for a billion dollar company to do this, it's an update that should have happened years ago. Even with being so long over due, it still sucks.

Apple doesn't much care about what we want, they will give us what they think we need, FCPX is a perfect example of that.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
And they're mostly right about it.

They are right if you are a middle of the road consumer. That's why this release was billed as FC *Pro* but doesn't included the tools that are necessary and established if you work with anyone else.

The PRO in the name, combined with the lower price, attracts all those who think, "wow I can get FCP for $300? I'm in!", and have no need for the advanced features and tools that are needed in a multi-user environment.

As of yesterday that product was called Final Cut Express.

Last edited:

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
They are right if you are a middle of the road consumer. That's why this release was billed as FC *Pro* but doesn't included the tools that are necessary and established if you work with anyone else.

The PRO in the name, combined with the lower price, attracts all those who think, "wow I can can FCP for $300? I'm in!", and have no need for the advanced features and tools that are needed in a multi-user environment.

As of yesterday that product was called Final Cut Express.

You're last sentence says it all. Final Cut Pro X was targeted at the prosumer market alot more than the true multi-user work path professional market (if that was targeted at all). This was talked about more than a year ago.

It's unfortunate that Apple is calling this Pro, it should be Express and there wouldn't be the hissy fits going on. I feel bad for the Pro market, they've been pitched over the side at this point.

Here's the call on it more than a year ago:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...g_final_cut_studio_apps_to_fit_prosumers.html

macnicol

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
What was the latest version of Final Cut Express?

What was the latest version of Final Cut Express? I have 4.0.1 Is there a later version, and where do I get it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.