Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

migrationassistant-500x521.jpg

Further hinting at an imminent release of OS X Lion, Apple today released an update to Migration Assistant for users of Mac OS X Snow Leopard. The update corrects a problem that could prevent users from transferring data from a machine running Snow Leopard to a new one running Lion.
This update addresses an issue with the Migration Assistant application in Mac OS X Snow Leopard that prevents transfer of your personal data, settings, and compatible applications from a Mac running Mac OS X Snow Leopard to a new Mac running Mac OS X Lion.
The upgrade is rather small, only clocking in at 312KB and doesn't require a restart.

Article Link: Apple Releases Migration Assistant Update for OS X Lion Transition

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Finally, this is no rumour :p, so I think that clearly means Lion will be released very soon.. Can't wait!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
No restart? Damn Apple sucks.

I'll be doing a clean install of Lion but might as well get the update.

Andrew83Ga

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
What's the point of this and how does it work? Is it necessary or can I just dl Lion tomorrow and kick my feet up?

Andrew83Ga

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
I updated it already, but is it something that works passively or do I need to do something with it before upgrading to Lion?

theFATangel

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2005
I updated it already, but is it something that works passively or do I need to do something with it before upgrading to Lion?

It will most likely make the transition easier for you if you end up using the built in Migration assistant from your Snow Leopard (10.6.x) volume.

Imma do a clean install from an external bootable install disk, w00t!

:D

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
This has NOTHING to do with users installing 10.7 as an upgrade to 10.6. Do you guys know how to read? It's for people who have a machine running 10.6 and buy a new machine that ships with 10.7 and want to use the Migration Assistant program.

RandiC

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
This has NOTHING to do with users installing 10.7 as an upgrade to 10.6. Do you guys know how to read? It's for people who have a machine running 10.6 and buy a new machine that ships with 10.7 and want to use the Migration Assistant program.

I sold my MacBook air last week I have it backed up to an external drive so when I get a new Air I could just use the migration assistant. I have snow leopard on backup. How do I get the migration assistant download on my external hard drive or do I need to? I'm confused sorry

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
I sold my MacBook air last week I have it backed up to an external drive so when I get a new Air I could just use the migration assistant. I have snow leopard on backup. How do I get the migration assistant download on my external hard drive or do I need to? I'm confused sorry

You don't. My understand is that if you have a time machine backup or SuperDuper/CCC clone, you're not affected. If you are running a physical Snow Leopard computer and plan to use migration assistant to transfer your data and settings to a new Lion computer you're about to purchase, then you'll just run this update first on your old machine.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Just installed all the updates there were available to my system. Bring on the big cat!

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
You don't. My understand is that if you have a time machine backup or SuperDuper/CCC clone, you're not affected. If you are running a physical Snow Leopard computer and plan to use migration assistant to transfer your data and settings to a new Lion computer you're about to purchase, then you'll just run this update first on your old machine.

This is exactly what the Apple rep told me when I called in today. I backed up to a TC about 2 weeks ago so, obviously, I don't have the update for migration assistant. She told me (after consulting the tech guys for 4 minutes) that I "might" (nobody knows obviously) have a problem (maybe) if I were to migrate directly from one machine to another, however with restoring from a TC I should have no problems at all.

Of course, her saying that after consulting the guys implies that Lion is being released soon (i.e. tomorrow in this case) and MBs with it preinstalled should be right around the corner (e.g. MBA).

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Unsupported Mac

Interesting... the Migration Assistant showed up on my Software Update. What is interesting about this is that my Mac (first-generation MacBook Pro Core Duo) isn't supported by Lion.

I would love it if Apple would change their mind about Core Duo processors not being supported. My four-year-old BTO MacBook Pro wasn't cheap. Yes, I am planning on swapping the hard drive (SSD, actually!) into my wife's MacBook and doing the update there, doing the "hack" to make it work with Core Duo processors, and putting the drive back in my MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.