Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iwork_banner.jpg

With today's release of OS X Lion, Apple has also pushed out a software update to its existing iWork suite of productivity apps, bringing support for new features found in Lion.
This update adds support for Mac OS X Lion and takes advantage of the following features:

- Full Screen
- Resume
- Auto Save
- Versions

This update is recommended for users of iWork 9.0 and later. For detailed information on this update and individual application changes, please visit this site: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4684.
The update, known as iWork Update 6, has been pushed out via Software Update.

Article Link: Apple Updates Existing iWork Suite for OS X Lion

inolan

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
Software update?

Why was the iWork update pushed out through Software Update and not the Mac App Store? :rolleyes: iWork is purchased through the Mac App Store, so it would only make since to receive updates from it as well.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I only see updates for Numbers and Pages? What about Keynote?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Why was the iWork update pushed out through Software Update and not the Mac App Store? :rolleyes: iWork is purchased through the Mac App Store, so it would only make since to receive updates from it as well.

Because iWorks has other methods that people could have gotten it.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I only see updates for Numbers and Pages? What about Keynote?

My keynote was updated to 5.1. It doesn't have versions support, presumably because it would make for large file sizes, but it does autosave, and there's fullscreen support.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
We all are but this update is also welcome.

yeah, well now that i think about it do we really need a new iwork.

I mean i have both iwork and MS office, honestly the only thing i like about MS office is the notebook layout.

I don't like that when you spacebar over a windows document it doesn't display it correctly at times.

on iWork, I can add charts and graphs so much easier on pages, I really like that and use it for my physics labs.

But I hate that on iWork I always have to tell it to save it as a windows file, not the default.

I like numberses (thats a word?) ability to make really nice invoices that can be used for customers for small businesses.

downside though, I hear there are not as many features on numbers as in excel.

I can see how a new iwork would be nice, but it really is not a necessity for me.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
On Lion, but not seeing it thru Software Update.

Found the issue. After install I moved the apps out of the iWork folder and directly in the Applications folder. After I recreated the "iWork '09" folder and put Pages/Numbers/Keynote in there, Software Update saw the apps and started downloading.

Space-traveller

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011

I mean i have both iwork and MS office, honestly the only thing i like about MS office is the notebook layout.

I don't like that when you spacebar over a windows document it doesn't display it correctly at times.

on iWork, I can add charts and graphs so much easier on pages, I really like that and use it for my physics labs.

But I hate that on iWork I always have to tell it to save it as a windows file, not the default.

I like numberses (thats a word?) ability to make really nice invoices that can be used for customers for small businesses.

downside though, I hear there are not as many features on numbers as in excel.

I can see how a new iwork would be nice, but it really is not a necessity for me.

Hey guys,
I'm a new college student, and I was wondering, what'll be better for me? Microsoft Office 2011 or iWork 09 and WHY? Also, incase I end up buying iWork, are they coming out with new iWork soon or no?

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003

The current version is good but there's always room for improvement, particularly as it was only the last version that most people would probably consider it a serious Office competitor.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
My keynote was updated to 5.1. It doesn't have versions support, presumably because it would make for large file sizes, but it does autosave, and there's fullscreen support.

Keynote has been updated with versions support and I have it working here.

According to the mac app store the full update adds support for Mac OS X Lion and takes advantage of the following features:

• Full Screen
  • Resume
  • Auto Save
  • Versions

The update also adds new builds:
  • Anvil
  • Fall Aaprt

Last edited:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I wonder if I should update from iWork '08 or wait a bit longer...if only it was obvious whether Apple planned on releasing a new paid version anytime soon...?!

igazza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
earth
Hey guys,
I'm a new college student, and I was wondering, what'll be better for me? Microsoft Office 2011 or iWork 09 and WHY? Also, incase I end up buying iWork, are they coming out with new iWork soon or no?

Office 2011 mainly for compatibility reasons. Keynote is worth purchasing though.

JadenKeyblader

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
Software Update still not working

Found the issue. After install I moved the apps out of the iWork folder and directly in the Applications folder. After I recreated the "iWork '09" folder and put Pages/Numbers/Keynote in there, Software Update saw the apps and started downloading.

I tried your method and software update still is not updating iWork. I could really use the Lion features as it would simplify my documents for student government. lol :confused: Unless I need to contact apple....

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
I wonder if Apple will simply drop the '09 from the current version of iWork going forward instead of doing a '11 release.
The Lion-centric features and integration with iCloud and the respective iOS iWork apps are what'll distinguish it from competitors going forward.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I wonder if I should update from iWork '08 or wait a bit longer...if only it was obvious whether Apple planned on releasing a new paid version anytime soon...?!

Tough call if you've waited this long. Who knows when the next update will be, and it doesn't seem like there will be any free updates for recent buyers.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Numbers is way snappier with this update under Lion that it was on the same hardware under Snow Leopard...

Just saying...

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
The funny thing is that Pages, for example, already had full-screen functionality since the 09 version. This time, instead of clicking on the full screen button in the toolbar we can click on the new full screen button at the top corner of the window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.