12¢ US Federal gas tax increase proposed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by senseless, Jun 20, 2014.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It needs to happen but I better see some infrastructure spending too.

3. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Woohoo... bigger tax burden for the middle and working class.:rolleyes:

They need to tax capital gain. Go after the 1%, man.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

As always, that is the key. Will the government spend the money raised on the roads, bridges, etc? I wouldn't count on it.

5. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Hate to tell you that probably won't happen. Congress is notorious for collecting a tax for a specific item, but then spending the money on something else.

This is a bad idea. I just filled up yesterday and paid about $4 per gallon. And to that they want to add another 12 cents per gallon? I can afford the hit, but a lot of working people, students, folks on fixed income, etc., cannot. They're already struggling with $4 gas as it is. Why make it worse?

6. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Present where the current gas tax is spent.

Every penny in every project. I want every contractor scrutinized for abuse.

If even one buck is spent on something unrelated, then I refuse to support an increase that will burden the poor and middle class more than anyone else.

And business owners will pass the cost on to consumers, so expect all goods to get more expensive, but your wages will be exactly the same.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you read the article, you'd know it was 6 cents this year and 6 next year. What other suggestion do you have for the Highway Trust Fund and to keep it going? Our roads and bridges are in bad shape, not to mention old and nearing the end of their useful lives.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Its a highly regressive tax, one that burdens the poor and middle class far more than the wealthy.

But it does do something to a) address the pitiful state of our nations highways and b) will probably help spur the economy and jobs. And, longer term it will probably encourage both alternative-fuel vehicles and greater fuel economy.

So overall, I think its something worth supporting. And if the idiots at the "Club for Growth (of the Koch Brothers billions)" is against it - thats all the endorsement I need.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

They certainly did here.

http://www.fix50.com

US Highway 50 just had a complete reinforcement/repair/infrastructure upgrade done in Sacramento. For those not in the know, Sacramento is the western terminus for US 50 (Ocean City, Maryland is the eastern terminus). That was a 2 month, $40.5 million project.

Similar is being done for I-80 from its terminus (the Bay Bridge in San Fransisco), through Sacramento, up through to Reno. That is ongoing and looks to take another 2 years to complete. Most of that, especially the Bay Bridge work, came from tolls. the rest was earmarked through other projects, including the stimulus package passed a few years ago.

BL.

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Easier hit to take than having to replace your wheels/suspension because you hit a nasty pothole that you couldn't avoid, etc.

Also, did the math for my typical fill up. I usually get gas when I am at a 1/4 of a tank and takes about 12 gallons to fill my tank. $4x12 gallon= $48. With an increase of 12 cents it is now $4.12x12 gallons= $49.44.

A $1.44 extra shouldn't be too hard to fit into the budget....

But as others have brought up, I am for it as long as it actually goes where it is supposed to go and be spent on and the contractors don't abuse us either.....

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Drop in the bucket. They need to escalate the fuel tax and use part of the revenue to improve transit (bus, rail, etc.). If you give people viable alternatives, the tax becomes less regressive.

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

This is where my $10 gas thread comes back to mind...

13. 0007776 Suspended

Unfortunately this wouldn't actually do anything to increase revenue as it is being offset with other tax breaks.
    If it was actually raising revenue then I would be all for it, but if all it is doing is shifting the tax burden from the rich to the poor and middle class then that is a problem.

14. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

To help clarify:
    "The six expired tax breaks identified by the senators as possible offsets for fuel tax increases are a research and development tax credit, certain expensing by small businesses, the state and local sales tax deduction, increasing employer-provided transit benefits to the same level as parking benefits, a deduction for spending by teachers on classroom supplies, and an increased deduction for land conservation and easement donations."
    http://news.yahoo.com/senators-propose-12-cent-gas-tax-increase-161747827--finance.html

15. 0007776 Suspended

Yep I read that, if you have to offset a tax increase with tax cuts then offset it with ones that will benefit lower income families, most if not all of those expired tax breaks won't help low income workers.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's just a matter of time. Gas has at times been at least close to $10 in parts of Europe. It's not like it couldn't happen.

17. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

The difference is that Europe has very good public short distance and long distance transit.

America does not.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm aware of that. Sydde already mentioned that it might motivate that to some degree. It still wouldn't help as much with some of the really spread out areas (Santa Clara County, LA, etc.). I don't think gas at that price would be pleasant, but it could happen. It would probably hit home values in some of the outlying commuter neighborhoods.

19. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Yeah, but I don't think it will motivate anything. America is run by oil companies, not the people.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That is true, and it makes me angry. There are many areas that have developed around the assumption of automobile ownership, so many people will have to pay whatever it costs due to the need to commute.

21. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I mean, most people I know in Europe for example esp France. Have a personal or family car. But it typically is only used for family road trips, trip to a meeting, taking the family out for a day, going to see people who aren't on a trasnit line, or for a trip to the store where you need lots of room, like a weekly market run.

It normally is not used for day to day use.

When I lived in France, I only used my CILO for when I needed it, not every day.

22. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

I wouldn't have a problem with this if they actually fixed the huge pothole on I95 that has claimed many tires this spring.

23. Technarchy, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014

Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The USA is one nation with nearly equal land mass to all of Europe.

France is Western Europe's largest nation at with an area of 547,030 km². Yeah their short distance transit system is nice. Their nation is tiny, so it doesn't take much in terms of cost.

The USA is 9,826,675 km2. Sure the LIRR, MTA and PATH are good for short distance travel, but it's not conceivable to do a national rail like any european nation. It wouldn't be cost effective on any level. Just take a look at AMTRACK.

If there is a gas tax increase I would like to see a portion go toward an electronic car charging infrastructure. The USA should be doing everything to shrink the demand for petrol based cars. Maybe increase the tax credit to purchase as well.

24. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Actually, they are looking for ways to increase the taxes on electric vehicles and hybrids because they use the roads but pay less in gasoline taxes.

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Unfortunately you are correct in this assessment.

Apart from a few very-high-traffic corridors - Boston/New York/Wshington and LA-San Francisco - high speed trains just don't make sense.

When you factor in the immense capital costs of building a high-speed rail network - plus the not inconsiderable operating costs, you come to the conclusion that you'd generally be much better off just giving would-be travelers a free ticket on Southwest Airlines or some other low-cost airline.

One area where our investment in our rail network can pay real dividends is in handling freight. A relatively small investment to upgrade our freight-handiling network would lower costs all-around, and keep thousands, if not millions, of semi-trucks off the long-distance Interstate system.