12/10/2008 - Day Without a Gay

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Dec 4, 2008.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Heard this this morning on the Adam Carolla show. Sounds interesting...

www.daywithoutagay.org

I am far from GLBT, but I'm willing to participate/support/(don't) do something..

Thoughts/comments/rants/raves, everyone?

BL.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, normally this wouldn't work. But after Prop 8, the solidarity I've seen is encouraging. So who knows?

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

True.. But then again, with 30 states having laws which you can't be fired from your job because of sexual orientation, I wouldn't be surprised if this does work.

The good thing I heard on Carolla this morning was that it was primarily to not contribute to the economy. The gas you already put in your car wouldn't be contributing, watching recorded TV wouldn't be contributing, so there's plenty of ways..

Funnily enough, it would mean to not come here, if you haven't donated. Doesn't MR generate revenue for all of the ad-supported pages?

BL.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sure, buy a t-shirt. :rolleyes:

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

But you can still be fired if you don't show up for work.

6. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

The key was that someone would call in sick for work, or have some excuse for not coming in. If they came out and said that they were GLBT, then it brings up the possibility of some lawsuits..

BL.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've got plenty of PTO left this year. ;)

8. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

It depends on your state. Around here, in a "right to work state", not showing up for work without notice can be (and often is) grounds for termination. The reason *why* you "abandoned" your job are considered to be irrelevant.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I wish I had heard about this earlier -- I have already got patients scheduled for next Wednesday... or I'd call in in support of gay. :p

Lee or anyone, know of anything going on in Chicago? I'm done with work at about 5PM next Wednesday, so if there're any evening volunteering opportunities I would be glad to get involved.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Here you go:

http://jointheimpact.wetpaint.com/page/Day+Without+a+Gay?t=anon

11. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

WTF are these people smoking?

here's an excerpt from the join the impact link

.......:confused::confused:
    how is this going to have any effect on gay rights? this sounds a lot like the "dont buy gas for a day on may 1" plan.... and how well did that work?
    the thing is, if you dont buy gas on monday, you're going to buy gas the day before or the day after, so there's no change consumption.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The point is to demonstrate the economic impact of teh ghey™.

The gay community has disproportionately more spending power per capita compared to most other socio-econ subdivisions, and in this economy you can bet that retailers are going to miss our dollars.

And no, this isn't like skipping gas for one day. Certain things like the latte will never be made up for, and the point isn't to weaken a supply market (in the case of the gas boycott) but rather to demonstrate financial strength.

You know the old saying: you don't miss something until it's gone. ;)

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I love this quote!

Yeah, the boss will surely go for that.:rolleyes:

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Actually, in my office, it would be just fine. I work for a very inclusive company. I could absolutely call in, tell them the reason, and they'd be completely supportive.

15. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I think this is a great idea. I think that showing the world what kind of people the gay community is can have a great impact on their push for equality. I hope it goes well and gets the publicity the community hopes for.

But as for the name, it's terrible. Day Without a Gay? It sounds like a hate movement. Like "string 'em up" or something. Am I the only one the thinks the name of the event could have been better?

P-Worm

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't think it's that bad. I kinda like it. Ya know- everything has to rhyme. :) Thanks for the words...

17. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Are you going to be participating Lee?

P-Worm

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Then, I should be allowed to call in heterosexual? Look, I'm not knocking the idea that people are upset and want to show how they feel. It's just that calling in gay sounds really stupid.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm, does your company offer paternity leave? And the "calling in gay" thing was tongue in cheek. They meant basically what I said in my response to your other post. In other words, say exactly why you're calling in. Let people know.

I might, as long as I don't have any crazy deadlines.

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It'd only be stupid if wasn't backed by a national movement.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OK, fair enough.

So in order for this measurement to occur properly, all us heteros should just go on with business as usual??

That's how I read it.

22. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

You don't have to. Obviously, you could call in sick yourselves, or just not contribute anything to the economy for that day. For example, go into work, bring your lunch, go home, and listen to something like NPR or watch PBS for the evening. No commercial radio or TV; otherwise the shows get the ratings and revenue from ads based on viewership.

You don't have to be gay to contribute or participate.

BL.

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you are an ally of the gay rights movement, you might also want to participate, since you're sending the message that gay rights goes beyond ~10% of the population.

If you're not interested in gay rights then you should go on with business as usual on Wednesday and witness the economic impact; hopefully it will prove to be a valuable learning moment.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A day without a gay huh? Sounds like every day in Iran...

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh no, no, no... they need us for public executions. So even they need us everyday. :mad: