12/3: Obama claims US safe from ISIS attack. 12/4: Tashfeen Malik pledged allegiance to ISIS

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DUCKofD3ATH, Dec 4, 2015.

1. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

December 3, 2015: Obama continues to perform at his level of incompetence:

President Barack Obama said in an interview that aired Thursday that he is confident the U.S. is safe from a Paris-style attack from ISIS and that American law enforcement is well equipped to protect the nation during the holidays.
    December 4, 2015: The day after Obama reassured us in the wake of the San Bernardino terror attack that we had nothing to fear from ISIS:

Investigators think that as the San Bernardino, California, massacre was happening, female shooter Tashfeen Malik posted a pledge of allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi on Facebook....
    First, ISIS is the JV; then they're contained; now they're not a threat to the US...I figured he had a lock on worst president of the 21st century, but now Barry's going for the whole ball of wax: Worst President Evah!

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

How many threads do you need on the same topic?

Also, look what a great job the oligarchy's grand unconstitutional spy programs did to prevent this attack. Oh, wait.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

From your link

Sure they may have used ISIS as a brand name, but this is still a far cry from ISIS actively sending someone to the US to carry out an act of terror as they did in Paris.

4. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Don't see how that applies. This is the only topic on this subject.

5. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

So it's home grown terrorism inspired by ISIS. Does that qualify as ISIS not being contained, then?

Anyway, these two thugs had an armory put together, showing that they had been in preparation for some time. And they apparently were "radicalized" in Saudi Arabia, so who knows whether they were ordered by ISIS to do what they did?

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Did you read your own article including the quote I included with law enforcement officers stating that it looks like they were self-radicalized. Nothing that we could possibly do to ISIS or any other terror group would stop that from happening.

As far as ISIS ability to actually send people to attack us, it is quite limited still although that may change over time if they are able to recruit more Americans to go to Syria, get trained in the fighting there and then return home.

If we want to do something about it then we need to make it so that they can't just go into a gun store and put an armory together. Europe has a problem with having a large land border with eastern European states where a lot of the remnants of the Soviet arsenals disappeared over the past two and a half decades as well as not being far from the Middle East where both the Russians and the West have been dumping weapons for decades, yet despite the large number of relatively easy to get firearms just outside their borders attacks like Paris are still rare. If we put in European style regulations in the US it would work even better, since we have thousands of miles of ocean separating us from Eastern Europe and the Middle East, Canada is difficult to get a weapon in, and most of Mexico's weapons come from the US so that supply would eventually dry up if it wasn't being replenished and there would be no good source for illegal guns in the US.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

And why should we treat that differently than home grown terrorism inspired by the tea party?

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Predicting the future is really perilous. I'd personally prefer for any president to not attempt it.

9. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Agreed. But Obama has a hard time evaluating the present, as with his ISIS-is-JV and ISIS-is-contained statements.

10. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Got facts? Because all I could find about Tea Party controversies with regard to violence on wikipedia was a cut gas line. The perp wasn't found and the act was repudiated by the local Tea Party org.

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Thank goodness it was Muslim extremists and not a disillusioned white kid who stole his daddies gun! All of a sudden the pro gun crowd actually want the President to do something! If ISIS hadn't been quoted, this would have been hushed like every other mass shooting. :)

12. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

and now Democrat tards want more gun laws. LOL

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Mass shooting? I've never heard of a mass shooting.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

When I heard Obama's remarks yesterday I thought they were entirely too soon. I figured it would be another situation where he ends up looking stupid and yet another issue of contempt prior to investigation with him. Personally, if I were the most powerful man in the world, I wouldn't discount an ISIS connection before the investigation had even started. I wouldn't also right off the bat turn issue into a gun debate just so that hours later the police to find homemade explosive devices in their apartment.

Though I imagine these individuals living SoCal had no connection to ISIS, aka "self radicalized", I don't think you can discount it as not terrorism. Every terrorist is self radicalized to some extent, they make the decision to get behind an organization. If these people "pledged their allegiance" to ISIS, then I assume given the opportunity to be involved with the group, they would have been. I imagine its difficult to be a regular ISIS community meeting member when you're half way around the world and only make $53,000/year.

A lot of people here try and say that mass murders are white and terrorists are muslims and it's... unjust what we call our criminals??? In the overwhelming majority of cases, I think we can discern between a mass murderer based on the intention of the crime and often the state of mind behind it. I believe you can have a mass murdering muslim and a WASP terrorist. Some cases do have grey area, but the majority of them are cut and dry.

15. FieldingMellish Suspended

DuckofD3eath is right on in this case. This is going to crack wide open

By Walid Shoebat, formerly of the Muslim Brotherhood and other nefarious affiliations: The woman involved in the San Bernardino attack that killed 14 people gave the Bay’at, that is she pledged allegiance to the leader of the Islamic State Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi. The clearest indication yet that this was an act of ISIS terrorism, according to two law enforcement officials.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Officially it would be, considering that ISIS was the catalyst for the attack. But this shouldn't give you any comfort, considering they were American citizens who decided to act upon their own volition in the name of the organization without any outside influences encouraging or coercing them into it. Only announcing their allegiance the day before.

ISIS were the justification, not the reason. There were no forewarnings of it. No way to trace it, or to stop it. There's really no way to protect yourself from this type of terrorism.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

And Obama is silent on the fact that we just experienced the most deadly terrorist attack on US soil since 9/11, inspired by the same religion of peace.

Way to lead.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I thought everyone was just griping about him opening his big fat mouth even before the bodies were cold.

19. FieldingMellish Suspended

Both your flailing responses?

Typical overreach in explaining away inconveniences with no real out, all to the detriment that such rationale leads to.

20. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

And the facts are in (and it's no surprise):

Islamic State said on Saturday that a married couple who killed 14 people in California in an attack the FBI is investigating as an "act of terrorism" were followers of the militant group based in Syria and Iraq.

The group's declaration, in an online radio broadcast, came three days after U.S.-born Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and his wife Tashfeen Malik, 29, a native of Pakistan, carried out the attack on a holiday party for civil servants in San Bernardino, about 60 miles (100 km) east of Los Angeles.
    So Obama's clueless streak remains unbroken:

"ISIL will not pose an existential threat to us. They are a dangerous organization like al Qaeda was, but we have hardened our defenses," Obama told CBS. "The American people should feel confident that, you know, we are going to be able to defend ourselves and make sure that, you know, we have a good holiday and go about our lives."
    Such soaring rhetoric, too! (you know)

21. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Well, I think it was just a case of workplace violence. /s

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Do you honestly think that he is wrong and ISIS does pose an existential threat to us? In case you don't know what that word means here is a definition for it:
    How does ISIS threaten our existence? they may be able to kill people here and there with occasional attacks like Paris, or inspire people to use their brand name in attacks as happened in California, but none of those have any chance of destroying us unless we overreact and choose to destroy ourselves.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Some of you have been listening to the Hate Channel too much (FOX news).

First, 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. Write a thread when you can predict specifically such atrocities in the future. Otherwise, stop acting like Obama should be faulted for not having a crystal ball.

Second, Obama has repeatedly called for better gun control regulation but this has been shot down by the Republican-led Congress. You blame one of the few black guys in power (Obama) but seem to ignore the mostly white folks in Congress who actually have the responsibility of legislating. I wonder why....

Third, as awful as the California atrocity is, it involved fewer victims, fewer attack sites, fewer perpetrators, less precision in planning and implementation, and less evidence of direct involvement from ISIS. Put simply, Paris was a far more deadly attack, so whether you think it was Paris-like is up to you.

Fourth, some of the people commenting here seem very pro-gun. What's wrong? Do your guns no longer make you feel safe? Do you really need BIG GOVERNMENT to protect you? :rolleyes: Maybe if it were harder to obtain weapons of the kinds used in the military for creating mass casualties of human beings, you'd feel more secure. I sure would when I return home to the US for visits.

24. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Except for that right-wing extremist inspired terrorist attack on a health clinic in Colorado last week.

And the Republicans are still silent about the terrorist attack in Colorado last week.