Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is exploring the possibility of equipping the much-rumored 12.9-inch "iPad Pro" with an improved touch panel that uses silver nano wire (AgNW) material instead of ITO-based clear film, according to South Korea's Electronic Times (via G4Games). The flexible touch panel would reportedly have greater accuracy and sensitivity and be able to recognize multiple pressure levels, which could allow for Force Touch.

Dimensions-iPad-Pro-Air-Plus-800x655.jpg
A purported "iPad Pro" blueprint from December 2014 with possible dimensions

The report claims that Apple requested samples of the touch panel ready for mass-production from LG Display, Samsung Display, Japan Display and other major display manufacturers at the start of this week, and predicts that the company will release a new 12.9-inch iPad next year as the first device utilizing the new touch panel technology. Recent rumors have pointed towards a late 2015 unveiling of the iPad Pro.

Apple could benefit from lower production costs by using AgNW touch panels, according to the report, since the technology does not require using a scarce metal like indium. The report adds that Apple is also considering applying a thin layer of sapphire crystal to the touch panel, but it remains questionable if the company's suppliers are capable of effectively producing the material for large-screened tablets yet.

The 12.9-inch iPad is rumored to feature a built-in NFC chip, pressure-sensitive Bluetooth stylus, Force Touch, one USB-C port and Apple's latest A-series processor. Rumors suggest that the NFC chip will enable the iPad to be used as a payment terminal, while the single USB-C port will either replace or supplement the Lightning connector equipped on other current iPads.

Article Link: 12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro' Could Have Flexible Touch Panel With Increased Sensitivity

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
All of this is fine, but will the iPad OS get a boost for productivity. That is the real problem.

And Apples services...iCloud sucks for education purposes. Google is running circles around them.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I'd love a 13" iPad!

For sheet music, the iPad is a bit too small. 13" would make the iPad a good size for magazines, comics and sheet music. It would also make it closer to A4 size for us English.

Apple should really have brought one out two years ago. Better late than never.

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
If the panel is less expensive, has better accuracy, and may have the ability to do force touch, I don't see why they wouldn't put this in everything.

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Does anyone else feel like that now that phones are an average of 5 inches that tablets are no longer relevant? I know personally, that I grab for my phone 9 times out of 10 before i grab my tablet, and if I need something bigger, i grab my laptop.
Also, Tablet sales have been on a rapid decline. I feel like tablets have overstayed their short lived welcome.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Does anyone else feel like that now that phones are an average of 5 inches that tablets are no longer relevant? I know personally, that I grab for my phone 9 times out of 10 before i grab my tablet, and if I need something bigger, i grab my laptop.
Also, Tablet sales have been on a rapid decline. I feel like tablets have overstayed their short lived welcome.

No.

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Is the iPad the most boring Apple product? Is there something they make which is more boring than iPad? I mean, apart from Pages or something...

I'd say iTunes but that's just ****ing infuriating which maybe is the direct opposite of boring...

A big bendy iPad is still a boring iPad.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Pressure sensitivity levels are pretty important thing for Pro.
It means it has features of Wacom and Surface tablets and could be ideal for design, drawing, kanji and even different games which utilize such technology.
Thats quite a revolution in iPad technology, first from inception time.

I also think that with the larger display, we will see simultaneous multitasking, or display sharing between apps.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I hope they don't go with USB-C. That's just ridiculous. FFS Apple chose a standard and stick to it. We need one standard connection across all Apple devices so that we can interchange cables and power sockets.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I hope they don't go with USB-C. That's just ridiculous. FFS Apple chose a standard and stick to it. We need one standard connection across all Apple devices so that we can interchange cables and power sockets.

Actually, for Pro USB-C may be more appropriate. Mouse, hard drives, printers, scanners, imagine what kind of devices could be connected.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Actually, for Pro USB-C may be more appropriate. Mouse, hard drives, printers, scanners, imagine what kind of devices could be connected.

I think they would have to include both as they are so heavily invested in their lighting port.

Of course, if they adopted a wireless protocol standard across all there devices, I could see them ditching lighting.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
No thanks. I like a few ipad games but i'll keep the ipad air for that. Can't see paying hundreds on an ipad again. Apple has convinced me they don't care about iOS on the ipad.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Or duel boot - iOS and OS X. Of course, that would probably kill their whole Macbook line so...

I seriously doubt Apple - known for simplicity and UX - would encourage everyone to use a device which requires two operating systems.

I don't think Apple want us to think of the iPad as a "tablet running iOS". If there are features Pro users want, be it in hardware or software, these can be added. In hardware: from the "iPad Pro" design. In software: From an iOS update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.