Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dustcase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
I recently sold my iBook G3 600mhz/Combo to a friend. It was a great computer and I don't really have any complaints.

I want to step up to a G4 so I can run GarageBand and similar programs to use my computer to write songs (guitar/bass/etc).

I was all set to get the new 12" G4/1ghz/combo iBook (and record via iMic) when I came across the closeout 12" G4/1 ghz/combo PowerBook for about 250 dollars more (I checked specs on both at MacMall too).

I know that the specs are very similar. The Pbook has audio in and a better graphics card and monitor. The iBook has USB 2 ports and a lower price.

A good friend with lots of knowledge said to just get the iBook, but I don't know. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
It all depends on what you will use it for. As for me, I couldn't do without the audio in, because I do a lot of audio stuff... And it seems to me that lots of things with USB2 will also have firewire as well (external hard drives, scanners, etc...), besides maybe printers.

Your mileage may vary.
Lee Tom

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
dustcase said:
I recently sold my iBook G3 600mhz/Combo to a friend. It was a great computer and I don't really have any complaints.

I want to step up to a G4 so I can run GarageBand and similar programs to use my computer to write songs (guitar/bass/etc).

I was all set to get the new 12" G4/1ghz/combo iBook (and record via iMic) when I came across the closeout 12" G4/1 ghz/combo PowerBook for about 250 dollars more (I checked specs on both at MacMall too).

I know that the specs are very similar. The Pbook has audio in and a better graphics card and monitor. The iBook has USB 2 ports and a lower price.

A good friend with lots of knowledge said to just get the iBook, but I don't know. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

So the Mobility Radeon 9200 is not as good as the GeForce FX Go 5200 - right? I guess the latter does run Motion - but unless you're planning on forking out for that program when it arrives (on top of your audio stuff), I don't think the difference would be too pronounced. With the iBook you could always get the Griffic iMic for $20 or something for audio-in. I've heard that the screen of the old rev B/A 12" Powerbooks is the same as that on the rev B iBook G4s - only the rev C 12" Powerbooks have the better screen, so no loss there. But the Powerbook does also have USB 2.0 ports.

Other than that, it would appear the specs are pretty much identical - same L2 cache, which is very important; same RAM ceiling, and standard RAM. Unless the weight/aesthetic of the Powerbook is very important to you (which would be perfectly understandable), I'd save the money, get a brand new machine (and better warranty maybe? I don't know) and buy more RAM to run Garageband/Logic/Reason more smoothly.

But when it comes down to it, you're right - very little between them. I've owned two 12" Powerbooks and an old G3 12" iBook, but I must say, given that the specs of the new G4 iBook are so similar to my rev B Powerbook, I'd be so tempted to get it if I were in the market...

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
I would go with a new iBook. I personally would prefer the ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 over the GeForce 4400, but that's just my choice.

The aiport reception and battery life in the iBook are better. And it's new. To me, there is a certain comfort knowing that I was the first person to use my computer.

I also find the iBook's touchpad clicker to be better than on any of the PowerBooks. Unfortunately, the keyboard is crap in comparison. (good crap, of course)

dustcase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Thanks everybody for the input/ideas!

I think I'll be purchasing the iBook. For the little difference, a couple hundred bucks saved seems like the wise choice.

thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.