12" MacBook (i5 + 512GB HD) or 12.9" iPad Pro (512GB HD) for Content Consumption

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Maukey, Jun 17, 2017.

?

12.9" iPad or 12" rMB

1. 12.9" iPad ($1370)

33 vote(s)
    76.7%
  2. 12" rMB ($1499)

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. Other (What and Why?)

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Maukey macrumors member

If all you had was an iPhone 6S+ and you could only have one other device for content consumption/personal use (Movies, YouTube, Web Browsing, Email, light Numbers/Excel and Word/Pages), which would you choose and why? Keep in mind that Multitasking would be used often. YouTube while Browsing, Working on a Budget in Numbers while watching a movie, etc.

Also keep in mind that the cost of the iPad package (iPad + ASK + Pencil) being purchased would be $1370 before tax, and the rMB would be $1499 before tax after a college discount coupon from Best Buy.

2. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

iPP hands down.

I have a 15" MBP TB, 12" MP and iPP.

The iPP is hands down one of the best Apple devices I have used. Am really impressed with th Apple Pencil, ask only got an iPP now.

My 15" MBP is my primary machine for content creation, and iPP for everything else.

Not sure if that helped answer your question., but good luck whatever choice you make.

3. rui no onna, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017

rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

As much as I love my iPad and use it 80-90% of the time, gonna have to go with rMB. I still run into problematic webpages that require desktop web browsers. The laptop can perform the tasks I do on the iPad, albeit not as enjoyably. Meanwhile, for the 5% of the time that I use a laptop (edge cases), well, I need the laptop and the iPad won't work.

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

In the scenario you describe I’d say iPad.
    And I’d also say you don’t need the pencil so that’s another savings.
    For content consumption, the iPad has apps for almost everything you could want.
    With the rMB you’ll be watching through the browser and subject to each providers requirements like flash, Silverlight, etc. and that could pose problems.

5. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

iPad is all you need now.

Laptops and desktops are dead.

6. geemiller05 macrumors 6502

This is a complex question. For content consumption, hands down iPad. However, in your scenario I’d only have an iPhone. Therefore, I’d have to choose the rMB over the iPad. I can do 80-90% of my day-to-day on the iPad, but there’s a few select things that require my Mac.

7. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

I still use both, but the Pencil is what swayed me toward the iPP. If you think you will use the pencil, then iPP. if not rMB.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

For consumption? iPad. And I say that as someone who likes macs a lot more than iPads... but there's no question iPads win for media consumption.

9. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

I have both an iPad Pro and 12" MacBook and if going for strictly content consumption then the iPad wins every time. For content creation the MacBook wins every time.

10. Maukey thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I noticed 2 voted for "Other". Wondering what their suggestions were

11. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Everybody is different but I'm selling my MacBook Pro as I have no use for it now I have the 12.9 pro