12" Macbook owners, do you have the rattle problem?

Does your 12" MacBook makes rattling noise when tilted?

• Yes

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 29 72.5%

• Total voters

ColdShadow

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Actually.. now that I tried again I can feel something moving inside. When I listen really closely I can hear something ticking real softly.

EDIT: You know what, I will return my MacBook since I'm still in my 14 day return period. I don't want to risk this thing getting damaged over time by this issue. Will probably get a MacBook Pro instead.
unfortunately most new MacBook Pros also have this issue.(2015,2016 and 2017)
see this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dear-2017-mbp-owners-–-do-you-have-that-rattle.2052250/page-3#post-24763863

that being said, it's unlikely to cause any harm.as it's the plastic sheet (called light guide) inside the display that is poorly secured and badly designed become detached from glue tape.so it won't damage anything, but it's surely annoying and frustrating, in some machines like mine it's very loud and easily noticeable.

effineji

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2017
Germany
That's pretty loud. Much louder than mine. It did for 10 seconds rattle my OCD nerves but I've decided I don't do that kind of motion much anyway. Also, mine doesn't rattle when the lid is shut.

waigx

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2014
This happens to me too, after a little research I feel this is likely an universal issue. But this does not bother me a lot. I even did not notice this before seeing this thread.
Because ... I simply don't use my laptop like that ...
You could probably go to the Apple Store and try to shake the sample machines. I bet most of them will make a similar noise.

That being said, I totally agree apple needs to improve their QC. I got one with sticky/unresponsive spacebar (see https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dead-corner-of-the-spacebar-2-gen-butterfly-keyboard.2052181/). Went to Apple store and got a replacement works perfectly.

Reactions: SidBoggle

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
Bumping this.

I bought a new sealed 12" 2017 MB from Costco that did exactly what was in that video, maybe just not quite as loud (but I also didn't shake nearly as hard).

I discovered it through normal non-abusive handling.

Brought it to Apple, they opened it up and found nothing. I returned it. Shame because it had absolutely flawless quality control otherwise. It was a June 2018 production date.

spiderpumpkin

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
If you don't go around shaking it with your ear next to it then this should be a none issue. I once put my ear next to case and heard the noise when shaking it side to side. However, I never have a need to do that during daily use and therefore haven't heard it since.