Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
Hello all...I know this thread has been asked a million times, but I searched the old threads and couldn't find the answer I was looking for. SORRY!

Anyway, I just put down 500 on a 1.33 ghz 12" PB superdrive (with applecare) for 1719 shipped (edu- refundable deposit). YAY!!!! Anyway, I am a little concerned about the screen size. There are two specific things I need to know about the powerbook screen. For the record, this computer will be a second car- I will be purchasing a dual g5 next fall.

1) Will the screen leave enough room for moderate Photoshop / Flash / dreamweaver work after the palletes?

2) Has anyone run Pro Tools on the 12"? This will not be my mix machine, but it will be used for composing / some tracking. Is the screen usable for this- can you at least get the edit / mix windows up with enough room to comfortably track and rough mix?

BTW: I chose the 12" because it's cheaper than the 15" and WAY more portable- this thing is going to live on my back like an oversized palm pilot.- But if people suggest it- I can always change my order and get the 15" combo (although the 15" super would be hard to justify $$$$$- it isn't even xbenching much higher than the 1.33 anyway).

ALSO- has anyone booted from a firewire drive before? I'm thinking of using a small capacity FW400 drive as the boot drive (when running Pro Tools) and then a Glyph FW for audio files. Anyone doing so? (the reason I would do this is to have a 7200 RPM drive as boot disk without voiding my applecare by swapping- plus an uncluttered boot disk with only Pro Tools installed would make things run quite smoothly).

Sorry for yet another powerbook screen size thread!

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
i personally find the 12 inch screens on the powerbooks and ibooks to be much too small even for everyday tasks, 1024 by 768 isn't a whole lot
as far as using a FW boot drive, i don't think you'll be able to see any performance increase on FW400 if you got the 15inch with FW800 and a good drive in it then you should see a boost

Bhennies said:
Hello all...I know this thread has been asked a million times, but I searched the old threads and couldn't find the answer I was looking for. SORRY!

Anyway, I just put down 500 on a 1.33 ghz 12" PB superdrive (with applecare) for 1719 shipped (edu- refundable deposit). YAY!!!! Anyway, I am a little concerned about the screen size. There are two specific things I need to know about the powerbook screen. For the record, this computer will be a second car- I will be purchasing a dual g5 next fall.

1) Will the screen leave enough room for moderate Photoshop / Flash / dreamweaver work after the palletes?

2) Has anyone run Pro Tools on the 12"? This will not be my mix machine, but it will be used for composing / some tracking. Is the screen usable for this- can you at least get the edit / mix windows up with enough room to comfortably track and rough mix?

BTW: I chose the 12" because it's cheaper than the 15" and WAY more portable- this thing is going to live on my back like an oversized palm pilot.- But if people suggest it- I can always change my order and get the 15" combo (although the 15" super would be hard to justify $$$$$- it isn't even xbenching much higher than the 1.33 anyway).

ALSO- has anyone booted from a firewire drive before? I'm thinking of using a small capacity FW400 drive as the boot drive (when running Pro Tools) and then a Glyph FW for audio files. Anyone doing so? (the reason I would do this is to have a 7200 RPM drive as boot disk without voiding my applecare- plus an uncluttered boot disk with only Pro Tools installed would make things run quite smoothly).

Sorry for yet another powerbook screen size thread!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.