12-year old girl twice tries to murder her mother for taking away her iPhone

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hal~9000, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Holy **** :eek:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/12-year-old-poisons-her-mother-for-taking-away-iphone-2015-3

2. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

12-year old girl twice tries to murder her mother for taking away her iPhone

Oh my gosh. This is so scary. Murdering someone because of a freaking phone?? The mother should just give the phone back. It's not worth it.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Note to self: Never take away daughter's phone.

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

This girl is a threat to society and will likely kill someone in the future. She should be locked up indefinitely.

5. BigInDallas macrumors regular

BigInDallas

All I can say is WOW...It is a scary world we live in

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Thankfully the daughter is an idiot and used bleach. Many are actually successful with a quick google search on how to posion someone.

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'd send her to boarding school in Mexico. Like Celia's older daughter in the first season of Weeds.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Note to self, never ever have kids...... :)

Something tells me, a time out won't work with this kid either.

9. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Reward the kid for attempted murder by giving back the phone? Surely you jest.

10. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Yes I think the mother should just throw the phone at her. Or do you suggest she keeps it until the girl successfully murders her.

11. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I suggest she keeps the phone and has the girl institutionalized and makes sure she gets the psychiatric help she needs. But yeah, she could just as easily give her back the phone and that would solve all the long term issues here. :rolleyes:

Un-effing-believable.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, this girl belongs under psychiatric observation.

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I was thinking the same thing. And folks wonder why we have issues like this...... :eek::rolleyes:

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah I'm truly mind blown by LadyX's answer.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

This kid clearly has some faulty wiring and needs a shrink ASAP.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

A phone or device is the new symbol of independence over a car and over smoking cigarettes.

17. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

18. Scepticalscribe, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No. Not at all.

Allowing an aggressor to determine and set the rules of engagement is an absolute no-no in my book, above all if that aggressor is a child. Returning the phone to the kid would send a message 1) that such behaviour is acceptable, and 2) that such behaviour works, neither of which are appropriate messages to give anyone, let alone a youngster, and that is the signal which returning the phone would give to the kid in question.

Actually, it would be an appalling abdication of responsibility on the part of the parent to do such a thing, and would permit that kid to become an utter monster.

Me, - if this is a true story, - but you do hear such strange things - and in such circumstances - I'd be strongly tempted to threaten to smash the phone, into microscopic smithereens…….

Well, she certainly seems to have anger management issues (I love some of this language that comes from the States), along with issues concerning boundaries, judging what are deemed appropriate and proportionate responses, and the notion of respect for others.

I'm laughing at this and hold a pretty similar view.

True. However, the thing is, the whole point of adolescence and growing up is the gradual negotiation of boundaries along with a growing expression of independence.

19. BeeGood, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I suggest she do exactly what she did. Call the police. The parent/child relationship is completely broken when your kid tries to kill you. She needs to be out of the house and if they want to have any type of relationship, they will need extensive counseling.

I think others have already stated this, but what you've suggested is the worst parenting advice I've ever heard. I'm not even sure I can call this parenting advice.

20. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Tears of Lys.:eek: In the Spider own words (in the book), "A rare and costly thing, clear and sweet as water, and it leaves no trace."

Mom need to show her daughter the back of her hand. Brat.:mad: The hand keeps the mother's peace and enforces the mother's justice.:p

21. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

That was my first thought (I actually edited that out of my post :D ) but I think they are far beyond the point where mom's discipline will do any good.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I seem to recall a YouTube video of a father losing it when he found his daughter had been disrespectful about him and his wife on-line. So he shot her computer (and docked her for the cost of the bullets). I wonder how that worked out.

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I was at The Bunny Ranch in Nevada a few weeks ago and recall a girl that works there telling me a story about her dad that sounded strangely similar to what you just described...

24. vulcanvillalta macrumors 6502

Well, this is unfortunate to read about. I believe that the child should be taught what was wrong with her behavior, not so much be taken away.

However, at the same time, perhaps she should be taken to a juvenile detention hall for a while. She did exhibit malicious intent, and that does need to be addressed.

25. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It's a sad world where kids are so addicted to their technology that they would actually think of this stuff. When I was that age 10 years ago we suffered through the grounding and moved on. Really, negative reinforcement is not the best method of discipline. It might get the behavior to stop, but only because they're avoiding the punishment.