120 gig external hard drive won't download photos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by piscies75, Mar 4, 2008.

1. piscies75 macrumors newbie

live in Toronto on vacation in Liverpool, England and tomorrow Venice,
    bought a 120 gig Toshiba external hard drive on ebay from Asian seller,
    at first i had to put it on my Dell Windows PC to get it to work. all photos downloaded opened no problem on my Ibook G4 and downloaded a few more no problem. Now that I am on holidays I cannot get it to download. Any body help me out please. I plan on taking a ton of photos... www.dunn.smugmug.com

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Okay, you're going to have to provide more information. How is the drive formatted? What do you mean download photos? How is the drive connecting to the computer? Is that website at the end at all relevant or is this some sort of weird spam?

3. piscies75 thread starter macrumors newbie

120 gig hard drive

you said:
    How is the drive formatted? no idea,assume it came formated, when it wouldn't work on ibook , I plugged it into my pc and just dragged photographs to it. What do you mean download photos? I am taking jpeg files on my digital camera and trying to copy them to the new hard drive so i can reformat the compact flash card for new photos. How is the drive connecting to the computer? uses two usb 2.0 plug ins. Is that website at the end at all relevant or is this some sort of weird spam? this is my personal website for referrence, but ignore it if you don't feel it is relevant please. I am five hours ahead by the way. :D

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

First off, paragraphs improve readability greatly.
    Okay that means it isn't formatted HFS+ most likely. Do you intend to use this hard drive for your mac only?
    Can you download the files to your main hard drive and copy them over to your external? Is your external even mounting? Where is the problem?
    You only have the hard drive connected to your computer using 1 usb port right? Don't plug both into your computer.
    I was just wondering because you stuck it at the end and I don't make a habit of clicking random links.

5. piscies75 thread starter macrumors newbie

120 hard drive

Okay that means it isn't formatted HFS+ most likely. Do you intend to use this hard drive for your mac only?
    YES
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piscies75
    I am taking jpeg files on my digital camera and trying to copy them to the new hard drive so i can reformat the compact flash card for new photos.
    Can you download the files to your main hard drive and copy them over to your external? Is your external even mounting? Where is the problem?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piscies75
    uses two usb 2.0 plug ins.
    You only have the hard drive connected to your computer using 1 usb port right? Don't plug both into your computer.
    OKAY PLUGGED IN ONE ONLY
    I TRIED COPYING A JPEG TO MY APPLE HARDDRIVE THEN DRAG IT INTO THE EXTERNAL BUT STILL NO LUCK SAYS "CANNOT MOVE THIS FILE AS FIRST TEST SHOTS CANNOT BE MODIFIED . YES THE EXTERNAL IS SHOWING AND CONTAINS THE TWO FILES

1 first shots test WHICH I SET UP AND WAS ABLE PREVIOUSLY TO DRAG JPEGS TO.
    2 System Volume Information

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I suggest reformatting it to HFS+. Note: this will erase the disk so backup any data on it that you want to keep.

Additional note: All caps means you're screaming/are very annoyed on the internet. I'd refrain from using it in tech help threads as giving the impression of being irate will turn people off and potentially result in no solution being found.

7. piscies75 thread starter macrumors newbie

reformat

please advise how i reformat to hfs+ , tried google search with no luck:confused:

8. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. Select the drive & format, here will be your option for HFS+:)

9. piscies75 thread starter macrumors newbie

hfi

hi thanks Andy, I plugged in the usb external hard drive went to Finder/ applications/utilities/disc utility app. / but then only shows a preview of my existing harddrive? how do i select the external harddrive please.

vacationing in Liverpool until Thursday. :cool:

10. andy.barron macrumors 6502

ok, you mentioned earlier that you can see the external hd mounted on the desktop, this is still the case right? If not, reboot with the drive plugged in (if it has a power supply to the drive, connect this also).

Disk utility will see it down the left hand side under where your internal disk is, if the finder can see it then DiskUtility certainly will. Choose this disk (it may display a different name than you have called it) goto 'Erase' & make the volume format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) & give the disk a name of your choice.:)

11. piscies75 thread starter macrumors newbie

success

hi tried three times and finally the disc utility saw the external hd , i erase it as instructed and successfully dragged a folder of photographs to copy them on the external hd. thanks for your patience and everybodies help here. much appreciated. :

12. piscies75 thread starter macrumors newbie

can't find it now

i went to download more, but could not find the external harddrive .?
    went back to utilities/disk u,/ and tried to restore it. seem to work but where is it? thanks