Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes-150x150.jpg

The next version of iTunes will get a full facelift and extensive iCloud integration, according to a report from iDownloadBlog.
From what we're hearing, the UI would be much more cleaner and "slick." iCloud is also going to be more closely integrated with iTunes. Rather than the iTunes Store being essentially a web browser, the Store will actually be integrated into the entire app-- much like Spotify is currently.

We're also hearing that iCloud backups will be integrated into iTunes. This means if you back up your iDevice to iCloud, that same backup will be stored locally on your computer. Also, app data from iCloud will be synced closely with iTunes. For example, if you beat a level in Angry Birds, that level data will be synced to iCloud and then to your iTunes library.
It would make sense -- the iCloud is meant to be "the truth", with all other devices (including your Mac and PC) backing up to it.

This can be seen currently with the limited iCloud support Apple has already implemented. If you purchase an App within iTunes (and have the appropriate settings saved), it automatically downloads to your iOS device. I've begun doing all my app shopping within iTunes for this reason.

iDownloadBlog is a completely unproven source, with no track record, so take this report with a grain of salt.

By coincidence, in yesterday's anonymous "unproven source" report that Apple was considering an acquisition of Barnes & Noble, BGR's tipster said iTunes 11 would be released in September along with iOS 5 and iCloud, and would support reading iBooks on the Mac.

Apple is currently beta testing iTunes 10.5, along with developer previews of iOS 5. This could have placeholder code for iCloud, while hiding a larger redesign of the application itself.

Article Link: Rumor: Apple Redesigning iTunes 11 With New Layout, iCloud Support

King Flamez1

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Toronto, Canada
i'm ready for a new layout

I would love an integration to read my books on my Mac through iTunes, I'm getting tired of Adobe reader & Stanza. Also would like to see a nicer format for my movies & T.v. Shows

PorthosJ

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2009
Apple is currently beta testing iTunes 10.5, along with developer previews of iOS 5. This could have placeholder code for iCloud, while hiding a larger redesign of the application itself.

Please note that Apple is also beta testing iCloud with developers.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
64-bit for Windows please, and can it be less bloaty?

Mine seems to freeze on a very regular basis when doing very simple things.
Especially when I connect my iPhone or iPad to it, it freezes up for a solid minute, plus it takes nearly a minute to open. This is the same across my 3 PC's with varying specs.

King Flamez1

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Toronto, Canada
64-bit for Windows please, and can it be less bloaty?

Mine seems to freeze on a very regular basis when doing very simple things.
Especially when I connect my iPhone or iPad to it, it freezes up for a solid minute, plus it takes nearly a minute to open. This is the same across my 3 PC's with varying specs.

that sucks! didn't realize they didn't send out a 64bit version for windows along with lion. i use iTunes a lot, and i love that they made it 64bit for lion, it works nice on my mac.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
The current iTunes works for me, and suits my purposes, a redesign is always nice. I just hope they don't go along the route they displayed with iCal :(

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
iTunes is such bloatware. They need to give us an application 'like' itunes JUST for playing back music without all the other crap, not everyone has a need for support for ipod, iphone, ipad, itms, movies, ping, tv shows or any of the other CRAP thats making itunes slow, a ram and resource hog.

Apple should also rename it to iMedia if it intends to keep stuffing useless garbage into what was originally intended to be a music player.

daveheinzel

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
iTunes has an identity crisis, and it's only getting worse. Its name and icon suggest music, but these days I go there for so much more. Movies. Podcasts. Apps. iPhone settings. Add to that books soon, and it becomes more painfully obvious that something must change.

Just thinking out loud, but I'd love to see either one app that combines all sort of media consumption in a way that doesn't trivialize everything other than music with its name, and maybe a separate app to deal with device and cloud syncing. Heck, merge the media consumption into Safari. I feel like I'm doing the same thing in Safari and iTunes most of the time anyway, when it comes to consuming digital content.

This just kinda hurts my head. I'm done venting now.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re the itunes logo with the musical note and blue circle
first reminded me of the beginning of classic Looney Tunes cartoons
Oh - I get it iTunes ...Looney Tunes

Rapscallion

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
I hope they ditch Ping, that was just a waste of time, and only added crap to an already over stuffed app.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
iTunes needs more than a "facelift." It was designed for music back in the late 90s (before Apple owned it). Since then Apple has tacked on movies and books, podcasts, apps, & ringtones so I think it's fair to say the iTunes we know today needs to be completely razed to the ground and rebuilt. Let's hope iTunes 11 is more than a tweak.

Oh, and don't screw it up with a ridiculous skin like on the Lion version of iCal or Address Book.

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but I liked it better when MR kept to the 3rd person and approached things from a more professional reporting standpoint.

It's Jordan Golson, the new guy. I can tell his articles from those by arn or Eric with almost perfect accuracy. Jordan's style is much more "personal-blog" like, which I don't think fits with this site and the way it's been. I prefer the objective tone, and would prefer more limited interjections of personal references/anecdotes/humor.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
iTunes is already something of a bloated mess. They really need a central iCloud app that handles all syncing, including iOS devices. Then pare down iTunes and let it focus on what made it great in the first place: organizing music. I'd also break out video playback into a separate app. It already is on iPads, which makes it even more confusing for people, having different places to find the same stuff on different devices....and don't forget iPhoto (for some odd reason) imports videos too. It's a mess. Every type of media or data should have its own app, and its own store (all linked to your Apple ID, of course).

iCloud - oversees syncing everything, managing devices, lets you select in one interface what media you want to sync, and to where.
  • App Store - apps, and maybe include managing home screen icons here.
  • iTunes - music, and only music (OK, audio, including podcasts), includes iTunes Store for audio content.
  • Video - videos (for playback), includes video store for video content.
  • iPhoto - photos
  • iBook - books, includes iBooks Store
  • Others - handle their own data: iCal, Address Book

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
iCloud for my 310GB of music won't cut it...besides, I paid $10 for Orb for my iphone and have my own cloud...my MacPro. With Orb, I can access all of my iTunes music, playlists, etc., and stream it wifi or 3G. Why pay for Apple's cloud when I have my own? At the end of the day, I'm still streaming from a cloud. The only advantage is if streaming from Apple's cloud provides better bit rates and better sound quality. Until then, Orb is pretty awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.