Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Continuing a months-long trend of improving shipping estimates for the iPad 2, Apple today finally reach its quickest possible turnaround time for the device, moving to "within 24 hours" for shipping through the company's online stores for the United States and Canada. Adding engraving bumps the window out to 1-3 business days.

ipad_2_24_hours.jpg

Shipping estimates in Apple's online stores for most of its other markets appear to remain at 1-3 business days, although they too may be updated in the near future to shift to the faster turnaround.

Apple's online store shipping estimates for the iPad 2 quickly ballooned to 4-5 weeks just as the first deliveries of the device began back in mid-March. Estimates slowly dropped over the following months as Apple began to catch up with demand, finally moving to 3-5 business days just under a month ago and then 1-3 business days the following week.

Article Link: Apple's iPad 2 Shipping Estimates Drop to 'Within 24 Hours' in U.S. and Canada

dreamworks21

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Supply has finally caught up with demand, huh? This must mean there's a new one on the horizon O___O

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I think the higher end iPads are way overpriced. $200 more for 48GB extra is just ridiculous. This is 2011 not 2001. 48GB of any type of storage is not worth $200.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Supply has finally caught up with demand, huh? This must mean there's a new one on the horizon O___O

No, it just means that they are doing better with supply management. I suspect demand has only gone down a few percent.

The next iPad is still not going to come out until early next year. Stop fueling the rumor mill, it makes no sense for Apple to release a new iPad this year.

dreamworks21

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
No, it just means that they are doing better with supply management. I suspect demand has only gone down a few percent.

The next iPad is still not going to come out until early next year.

Yes I know, I was being facetious. And I wasn't saying demand had gone down drastically, I was saying supply had gone up drastically.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I think the higher end iPads are way overpriced. $200 more for 48GB extra is just ridiculous. This is 2011 not 2001. 48GB of any type of storage is not worth $200.

It also comes with a slightly different engraving on the back. I think you get the number "64" on it instead of "16". If somebody gets up close to your iPad and looks, then that is a huge status symbol. ;)

Seriously though, if you look at the profit margins, the 16GB is far lower then the 32GB which is lower than the 64GB -- so this is where they are making up their money in an attempt to offer the low price-point for the entry-level model. Effectively, the higher-end models are subsidizing the lower-end models -- but I am guessing their margins are pretty good regardless. Steve Jobs said that there was some "wiggle room" in the price when he first announced the iPad -- translation: "once competition starts figuring out how to challenge us on price, we will drop our prices and give up some profit margin". That's what happened with iPhone when they realized they were being a tad too greedy. Problem is the competition is just now starting to get comparably priced models even though they are apparently not yet desirably to the general consumer since sales have not taken off. I think once Android has a tablet version that the masses want and manufacturers are making hardware that the masses want, then Apple is going to drop the price to stay ahead -- but that probably won't happen so long as they are dominating the market share at the current price point (unless they feel the need to lower the barrier of entry for more consumers).

Day48

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009

Agreed, I could see them maybe dropping the price with the next generation, They have with the new releases of the other products through the years. Hopefully all the rumors for a fall iPad, is just the same iPad, but cheaper...

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here's our data point: We ordered a 64GB black 3G iPad2 with engraving on Sunday (7/31), and it shipped the very next day (8/1).

Edit: also, delivery is estimated for Friday (8/5). Woohoo! :D

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
iPad 2 is in sufficient stock, which indicates iPad 3 will be released soon.:D

brianbauer04

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
They have to ramp up component production of certain components that would be shared with the iPhone 5 - such as the A5 processor and certainly countless others. That would eliminate any iPad supply constraints until the iPhone 5 assembly line starts.

Bobtodd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Apple employee's have finally been given discounted price for the iPad 2 on "The source" starting at 16g wifi for $374.......

Plas00

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

zen.state said:

You sir make a very valid point. Storage nowadays goes cheap. Unfortunately I don't see this gap being reduced in the upcoming revision. I hope I'm wrong.

gorgeousninja

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
secret mountain retreat

Irrirating post! The difference in price between the 32GB and the 64GB was for me about 300 yen per month (about 3 dollars), true it all adds up, but if I couldnt aford that I'd hardly be buying one in the first place. If you are that concerned about the price why dont you buy a Xoom? Except theyre the same price. Well, get a really cheap poor quality no brand import, and see how that works out.
And BTW in 2001 an average full size desktop came with an Intel pentium and a hard disc of about 20gb with a speed of 5400 or 7200 if you were lucky. Fast forward to now, and the iPad only a 1/4" deep has a disc capacity three times bigger and its own custom processor and graphics chip. Amazing! and yet you dont want to see that...
If you can bring a product to market that is both better and a lot cheaper then you will have proved a point, otherwise it is wrong to knock something that no-one has yet been able to match.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Duh!

No, it only means that supply has caught up with demand. They're either producing more faster, or consumers have slowed down their purchasing.

There's always a new one on the horizon, no matter how well they've caught up with demand. iPad 4 is on the horizon as well as iPad 5. It's normal to be designing several releases ahead years in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.