Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late last month, Apple made headlines when a series of research firms including IDC, Strategy Analytics and ABI Research all announced that Apple had passed Nokia and held off Samsung to become the world's largest smartphone vendor by volume during the second quarter of 2011. But all of those firms study the mobile phone market based on shipments from the manufacturers out to the distribution channels, not end sales to users.

Gartner today revealed its data based on final end-user sales, showing that Nokia did indeed hold off Apple for the title for the title of top-selling smartphone vendor by that metric. The key to the difference in assessments is that Nokia substantially reduced its handset volume shipped out for distribution, opting instead to dramatically pare down stocks already in the channel.
"The sales efforts of the channel, combined with Nokia's greater concentration in retail and distributors' sales, saw Nokia destock more than 9 million units overall and 5 million smartphones, helping it hold on to its position as the leading smartphone manufacturer by volume," said Ms. Cozza. "However, we will not see a repeat of this performance in the third quarter of 2011, as Nokia's channel is pretty lean."
Nokia is transitioning its smartphone lineup from its own Symbian operating system to Windows Phone 7, and thus it makes sense that the manufacturer is prioritizing discounted sales of Symbian handsets already out for distribution to help speed that transition. But even accounting for the distribution channel drawdown, Nokia's smartphone business is struggling, with sales to end users actually falling slightly year-over-year as the overall smartphone market and sales from many of the the top vendors are growing dramatically.

gartner_smartphone_platforms_2Q11.png

Gartner highlights smartphone sales by operating system rather than manufacturer, showing that Google's Android operating system has continued its momentum that has led the platform to a commanding lead with 43.4% of the smartphone market during the quarter when looking at sales to end users. Symbian took second place with 22.1% of the market while Apple's iOS took third place with 18.2%

Article Link: Gartner: Nokia Held Off Apple in Smartphone Sales in 2Q 2011

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
What I find interesting is that Microsoft has lost market with the new Win7 phone OS. Significant loss.

RIM, Nokia and MS are in trouble. Android and iOS are taking over the smart phone market.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Gartner: Nokia Held Off Apple in Smartphone Sales in 2Q 2011

. . . by selling what they had left of their junk for peanuts. Did they auction off the office furniture too? Hey I'll happily take a ceiling fan.

So unimpressed.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
What I find interesting is that Microsoft has lost market with the new Win7 phone OS. Significant loss.

RIM, Nokia and MS are in trouble. Android and iOS are taking over the smart phone market.

I saw that too. I think that is the bigger story than Nokia's current place at this point in time.

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Gartner: Nokia Held Off Apple in Smartphone Sales in 2Q 2011

. . . by selling what they had left of their junk for peanuts. Did they auction off the office furniture too? Hey I'll happily take a ceiling fan.

So unimpressed.
I've bought hundreds of their phones...I'm using them to tile my bathroom near the tub...

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Who there hell is buying Nokia phones?

I don't know anyone who owns one anymore. To be fair though I don't know a lot of people. haha

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
It's a shame to see WP7 unable to take on iOS and Android IMO. Although a little behind in features, it's a nice OS to use.

I have no idea what will happen to Nokia but licencing both OS's like HTC does would have been a wiser choice IMO. Even a MeeGo push might have been better than relying on Microsoft so much.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Who there hell is buying Nokia phones?

I don't know anyone who owns one anymore. To be fair though I don't know a lot of people. haha

Not in the US, but Nokia is a significant player in the global market, especially the emerging markets. You can get a Blackberry lookalike keyboard smartphone Nokia for less than $100, unlocked no contract. You can get a touchscreen smartphone for less than $150.

That's why I think if Apple creates an affordable iPhone, Nokia will RIP, Microsoft or not.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
It's a shame to see WP7 unable to take on iOS and Android IMO. Although a little behind in features, it's a nice OS to use.

I have no idea what will happen to Nokia but licencing both OS's like HTC does would have been a wiser choice IMO. Even a MeeGo push might have been better than relying on Microsoft so much.

I don't personally like the WP7 interface, however, I loved that Microsoft was getting into the mix. I hoped they would do well in order to spark innovation in both Google and Apple products, making it a fast paced game with 3 players!

Perhaps there is still hope in the future, Microsoft has deep pockets.

rafaltrus

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Champaign, IL
Not in the US, but Nokia is a significant player in the global market, especially the emerging markets. You can get a Blackberry lookalike keyboard smartphone Nokia for less than $100, unlocked no contract. You can get a touchscreen smartphone for less than $150.

That's why I think if Apple creates an affordable iPhone, Nokia will RIP, Microsoft or not.

Apple is waiting for right timing to take over the market. If they release the low-end iPhone at the right time, i.e. when a lot of potential customers indicate they are willing to buy an iPhone, and only iPhone, but only if it were cheaper... they may win the war.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Perhaps there is still hope in the future, Microsoft has deep pockets.

Well said. Those deep pockets made XBOX an eventual success so you never know. :)

I just find the WP7 UI and experience so different to Symbian/Windows Mobile/Android/iOS that is is refreshing to use and it performs very well despite the (now) low end specifications it's running on.

nd572

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
I am actually looking forward to the new Nokia Windows phones, I have a feeling they are going to produce a bigger competitor to the iphone than people are giving them credit for.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
I agree

Apple is waiting for right timing to take over the market. If they release the low-end iPhone at the right time, i.e. when a lot of potential customers indicate they are willing to buy an iPhone, and only iPhone, but only if it were cheaper... they may win the war.

I agree with this. Also I think one of the reasons that Andriod has grown as much as it has is because Apple was exclusive with AT&T so long. I talked to many people in the past who said, "yeah I wanted an iPhone but I don't have AT&T"

It'd be nice if with iPhone5 Apple opens it up to the rest of the carriers. Then if they add a lower-priced option they'll really see their market share grow. Although, I'm not sure if Apple cares as much about market share as they do having the "best products" so it'll be interesting to see if they go after the lower-end market (because features will have to be omitted which may fracture their user-base and make it more annoying for developers).

*ADDITION*
Also, I think you have to be pretty impressed with Apples numbers considering how much their devices cost. I see Android smartphones being given away for free or sold dirt cheap...sure there are some higher priced super-phones for uber geeks but overall it's easy to get a cheap/free non-Apple smartphone. With that being the case Apple's numbers are quite impressive.

Last edited:

mentalward

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
Kalispell, MT

The Microsoft numbers in this chart can be a little misleading, as they are a combination of both Windows Phone 7 and the older Windows Mobile 6. WM6 was actually selling in fair numbers to corporations in 2010, but has since fallen off a cliff. Not a moment too soon, IMO.

Windows Phone 7 is actually growing compared to last year, just not quickly enough to offset the losses incurred by WM6.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I agree with this. Also I think one of the reasons that Andriod has grown as much as it has is because Apple was exclusive with AT&T so long. I talked to many people in the past who said, "yeah I wanted an iPhone but I don't have AT&T"

In other parts of the world, carrier exclusivity doesn't come in to play but it hasn't stopped Android's growth at all.

rafaltrus

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Champaign, IL

It'd be nice if with iPhone5 Apple opens it up to the rest of the carriers. Then if they add a lower-priced option they'll really see their market share grow. Although, I'm not sure if Apple cares as much about market share as they do having the "best products" so it'll be interesting to see if they go after the lower-end market (because features will have to be omitted which may fracture their user-base and make it more annoying for developers).

I have a couple of apps that are for the newest iPhone/iPod devices only. If I were asked to remove some of the features to provide two version of my app, for iPhone5 and iPhone5 LE (low-end? lol) but having XXXXX more sales in a month in exchange, I'd say: "Hell yeah!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.