Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

skitch-150x148.png

Evernote, the notetaking and archiving service, announced today it had acquired image editing and sharing app Skitch for an undisclosed sum.

Skitch is currently available on the Mac App Store for $19.99, but Evernote CEO Phil Libin said it will soon be offered for free as a "fundamental part of Evernote going forward." He also announced versions of Skitch for iPhone and iPad to be released soon as well.

Evernote recently raised $50 million in a venture round led by Sequoia Capital meant for expansion and new acquisitions.

Article Link: Evernote Acquires Skitch, Will Offer It Free

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
So you have to have an Evernote account to get the best use of Skitch? Or can Skitch stand on it's own & projects can be shared without an EN account?

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Anyone want to comment on the app? Curious as to how useful and easy to use it is.

maddie

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2005
Glasgow, UK
Excellent. I have used skitch for years, practically right through its protracted beta programme. It's the only tool I turn to for screen grabs - it's lightweight, intuitive and lovely to use. I had a free premium account for beta users for about another 8 months, and I'm really pleased they've been bought by another innovative company in Evernote, a product I also use often.

And I've always loved the icon, too.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
I'm also on the beta program and thus have Skitch Plus until the end of this year for free. In one word: terrific! Snap, upload and share. For what it does, it's a great program. Very recommendable!

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
so what's the difference between this and the screenshots functions besides adding arrows to pics and uploading them to the web?

johnvr

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
Mixed feelings, I paid for Skitch

Skitch is okay, though it has a horrible icon and a clunky interface. Still, it does what it needs to do.

Evernote is great for notes you don't really care about for the very long term, as it's extremely easy to add notes but extremely hard to get them out and open them in other programs.

And I got mixed feelings about having paid for something that's now free.

Terry92

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
makes sense - from evernote perspective

... but two turqueys do not make an eagle...

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Jeez.. A cute purple-pink, strawberry scented bear with the irritating voice of a bored middle aged man that tries to play it cool. Who the hell had the idea of this presentation.. These people lack taste a big time…

Did they use Tay Zondai for the acting???????
http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/song_dance/Deep_Voice_Kid/

Nice product by the way, I will definitely download it. I really hope Ill not get this irritating bear again the first time I start using it to give me a tutorial!!

Last edited:

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
use this program a lot. perfect for a "paint" type program with the upload functionality. have used it since beta and use it mostly for pointing out certain aspects in a picture, or helping diagnose a problem/etc. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.