Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

123254-ipad_4_2_profile.jpg

In case you still had doubts, the Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple is indeed working on its next generation iPad for early 2012. The newspaper also seems to confirm the 2048x1536 Retina display that has been long rumored.
The next generation iPad is expected to feature a high resolution display - 2048 by 1536 compared with 1024 by 768 in the iPad 2 - and Apple's suppliers have already shipped small quantities of components for the sampling of the iPad 3. Suppliers said Apple has placed orders for a 9.7-inch screen device.
According to "people familiar with the situation", Apple is aiming to launch the iPad 3 in early 2012.

The Wall Street Journal's sources also indicate that a trial run will begin in October and that Apple has already started placing orders for many of the key components for the next iPad.

While the report doesn't seem to add much new information, it does add a more credible voice to the rumors coming out of China about Apple's iPad 3.

Article Link: Wall Street Journal Confirms Early 2012 iPad 3 with Retina Display

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Hardly a great leap of faith by WSJ to believe that. iPad 2 was out in March this year so 9-12 months later is perfectly fine for the next iteration.

mjselvig

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
No.

I don't really care about other confirmations than from the providers themselves.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
New iPad featuring a higher-res screen in early 2012? Thats obvious...

FrHa

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
and I was thinking of purchasing an iPad 2 this weekend...

You should buy one. I doubt the iPad3 is going to come out this year. I'm almost certain the iPad3 will be out next year in February or March. If I'm right, that means you'll have to wait six or seven months. And anyway, when the new iPad comes out, you can just sell the iPad2 you'd already have :)

usptact

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
It would be highly surprising to discover that at Apple they are *NOT* working on iPad 3.

That will be a great present for me this New Year :p

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
March is still considered early 2012, and if it were released in Feb. That's still not big news.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Apple MUST put a retina display in the next generation iPad. Not because it's necessary, but because otherwise people will be disappointed if the iPad 3 does NOT have a retina display.

Most customers are just expecting an iPad 3 with retina display, thanks to all these rumours. If Apple doesn't put a retina display in the iPad 3, a lot of people will be disappointed.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Third revision and I still don't have a use for it.

We're (gf and I) diehard Apple people (five iPods, a Blackbook, a unibody MacBook, a 11" MacBookAir, a 2g ATV, and an iMac) and I still don't know what to do with an iPad. I can't really use it as a portable workstation because the input is too clumsy for documents, it doesn't read well compared to eInk and it's too big to be really portable without having to carry it (i.e. can't slide into my pocket like my iPod touch).

I guess that I'll have to file it under the same category of the iPhone. Somewhat overpriced and under-technologied without a distinct use.

Believe, me I'd love to buy one, but I just can't justify it if it's only for entertainment, as I'd rather spend money on something that would be more entertaining.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Bad timing, this is only going to slow Christmas sales of iPad 2s. Either launch prior to Christmas or well after.

Just like the iPad 2 analysts "announcement" last August didn't?

"It's coming out next month, no wait... next month. No wait, sorry, what I meant to say was. Next Year. Around the same time as the first one came out. That'll probably happen again, yearly, until people stop buying them. I think"

I could do that job.

crazy4apple

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
London (UK)
Apple MUST put a retina display in the next generation iPad. Not because it's necessary, but because otherwise people will be disappointed if the iPad 3 does NOT have a retina display.

Most customers are just expecting an iPad 3 with retina display, thanks to all these rumours. If Apple doesn't put a retina display in the iPad 3, a lot of people will be disappointed.

I there is no retina display Apple i will be very :mad: also very :eek:

and as i still own the Ipad 1 and have yet to upgrade to 2 because 3 will blown me away :cool: and with RD it will put a:) on my face and so that i do this to all the android trolls :apple: for life as i carry my ipad3 around :D

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

crazy4apple said:

I there is no retina display Apple i will be very :mad: also very :eek:

and as i still own the Ipad 1 and have yet to upgrade to 2 because 3 will blown me away :cool: and with RD it will put a:) on my face and so that i do this to all the android trolls :apple: for life as i carry my ipad3 around :D

Holy smiley faces batman.

I really dont think the average purchaser of an ipad would really know the difference between the two screens and would buy one regardless.

Trust me, I hope they make one with a retina screen, but I just don't think people wouldn't buy them without one.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Bad timing, this is only going to slow Christmas sales of iPad 2s. Either launch prior to Christmas or well after.

They won't be able to make enough iPad 3s anyways for Christmas. Might as well do it after Christmas and work hard to meet the demand and have strong sales for the entire year including next Christmas.

Maybe Apple could sell new copies of iWork and iLife for Christmas though.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Just like the iPad 2 analysts "announcement" last August didn't?

"It's coming out next month, no wait... next month. No wait, sorry, what I meant to say was. Next Year. Around the same time as the first one came out. That'll probably happen again, yearly, until people stop buying them. I think"

I could do that job.
Yes close your eyes and pretend Jobs never said "year of iPad 2 - 2011".

All these people making up stuff that goes directly against what Jobs said. MacRumors is guilty of this too. If something has been officially said by Jobs you can consider it fact.

Unless your rumours are just "hey Jobs lied tot her world". Which he didn't.

Quality over quantity rumour people. Apple became rich off this. Don't be in the race to the bottom of the rumour barrel. I'd rather hear 3 rumours a week if they were top notch instead of 3 a day and most of them garbage that's already disproved.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

how do u even "confirm" something like that unless u seen the actual item. stupid analysts

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
That's better for me: my wife will now not try to put me in a mental rehabilitation when I buy two iPads in one year. Lucky me. April is ok for me ... Earlier would be nicer though.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Based on what data? Last holiday season sales of the iPad 1.0 were excellent despite the constant rumors during the period of the eminent launch of iPad 2 during calendar 1Q 2011. Plus with the iPad 1.0 having launched in early April 2010 Apple watchers had a fairly good hunch that a new iPad was due before Easter 2011. When people say "early" that is anything 1Q (Jan-Mar).

I find it hilarious that people here somehow think they have a better knack for timing than Apple. Apple's track record, based on actual sales, is pretty flawless.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

The target audience for the iPad comes nowhere near technology rumors sites. They don't know what a Retina display is, probably haven't even heard the expression before and accordingly don't care.

The iPad is a device for people who don't care about technology. They want something that makes surfing the web and consuming content easy for them. They don't care if the damn thing has one, two or 4,096 CPU cores and they don't care about how many trillion pixels the display has -- as long as they can hit YouTube and iTunes with it.

So, NO, the availability of a Retina display will not effect iPad sales at all. The fistful of people that always want the latest and greatest and shiniest don't really matter in the big picture. Remember? The MacBook was the most successful Apple notebook, not the high-end 17" MacBook Pro and the iMac always out-sold the Mac Pro (or PowerMac) by far.

Besides, we've also heard the rumors that this Retina Display iPad might probably be named "iPad Pro" -- which means that there might be TWO different iPad product lines in the future. The one with the current display resolution and the one with the high resolution display. But one thing should be absolutely clear: Unless they subsidize it, Apple cannot sell a Retina display iPad at the price of the current iPad. The added costs of the high resolution display alone will be prohibitive.

I'd expect the low-end Retina iPad 3 (16GB without 3G) to cost at least as much as the high-end iPad 2 (64GB with 3G). I mean, I'd love to see the Retina version to replace the current product line at the same price level, but let's be realistic here: That's just not possible.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Yes close your eyes and pretend Jobs never said "year of iPad 2 - 2011".

All these people making up stuff that goes directly against what Jobs said. MacRumors is guilty of this too. If something has been officially said by Jobs you can consider it fact.

Unless your rumours are just "hey Jobs lied tot her world". Which he didn't.

Quality over quantity rumour people. Apple became rich off this. Don't be in the race to the bottom of the rumour barrel. I'd rather hear 3 rumours a week if they were top notch instead of 3 a day and most of them garbage that's already disproved.

Just stop with this crap.Would you like a list of things Jobs said that were contradicted shortly afterwards?Lets start with "people don't read books anymore".
Are you going to tell us iBooks doesn't exist??.
Part of Job's job is salesman.
By your twisted "logic" 2011 can't be the year if iPad2 since during the first few months you could only by an iPad1.
So just stop it.It's silly.

kayno

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
Phelps Land
...I'm still undecided whether it's an essential item or a mere trinket, albeit an undeniably cool one.

Depending on what other gadgets you own.. It could be either.. I have an iPhone 4, iPad 2, Macbook running Lion and A Chevy thunderbolt sorry I mean a HTC Thunderbolt (Work Phone). When I first got my iPad it was a dream, it slowed down the use of my Macbook and iPhone but after a while.. The use of my iPhone picked back up and once I installed lion on my mac, the use of my iPad has diminished drastically.. I barely pick it up anymore.. Now if I were mobile and did alot of work on the go, sure it would be my go to device, If I had a windows PC, sure the ipad would get more use.. If I just loved the iPad soo much, sure it would get more use. So I think it could be either based on who is using it. If I were travelling I wouldn't log my 2007 Macbook around.. that **** heavy.. I know for sure that this would probably be the last iPad I buy.. unless Laptops start to die out.. or something drastic happens..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.