Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

upperwestside2.jpg

Apple's New York City retail stores will be closing this weekend ahead of Hurricane Irene's possible landfall over the city. NYC's mass transit system is shutting down by noon on Saturday, which will make it extremely difficult for both employees and customers to get to the stores.

Employees who answered the phone at SoHo, Upper West Side, West 14th Street, and Staten Island confirmed that those stores will be closed all day on Saturday and Sunday.

A decision has reportedly not been made about the Fifth Avenue location, which is famously open 24/7/365.

Article Link: Apple Closing NYC Retail Stores Ahead of Hurricane Irene

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
Foolish decision by Apple. I knew everything would change when Jobs left. I mean is Apple trying to be the richest company or is okay with 2nd place?

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hopefully they close down the 5th Avenue store as well, because if there's no people that'll buy stuff, then there's no point in keeping the store open...

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
The last time we got predicted a massive hurricane it was sunny the whole day, stupid weather casters. Ill be home watching movies or something many reading my summer books.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I hope they don't close he 5th Ave. store... I was going to go into the city on Sunday and buy a set of extra headsets. :rolleyes:

Really... I hope they do what's best for the employees.... NYC is going to be a mess on Sunday if he hurricane hits as bad as they think.

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
this will be a test of their utopian glass house in CA. if that store crumbles, they have serious re-thinking to do.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
That’s what I had in mind… Ouch, it’s going to splash out everywhere. I wonder what’s the maximum theoritical speed before the wind break these pieces of glass.

It's not that, it's the heavy objects blasted into the glass by the wind you want to worry about.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
The last time we got predicted a massive hurricane it was sunny the whole day, stupid weather casters. Ill be home watching movies or something many reading my summer books.

By the time it travels to NYC it will probably be nothing more than a tropical storm. At most I expect it will probably just be a really wet day. Announcing everything will be closed two days before it arrives seems like overkill. It's already been downgraded since yesterday and it's not due to pound here until tomorrow.

dumb terminal

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego, CA
The 5th Ave Store is technically an underground store, isn't it? I hope it doesn't get flooded.

Our company occupies the upper-most floors of a skyscraper, and they're worried about broken glass/water damage, so we've been busy removing computers/monitors from cubicles and offices and putting them in dry storage. We've also been making complete backups of the servers. I think they may be overreacting just a bit, but we had an office in the World Trade Center that was destroyed on 9/11 so I guess they can't be too careful.

Be safe out there fellow NYers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.