1235$ for an iPhone 4s, worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rk25123, Nov 11, 2011.

1. rk25123 macrumors regular

1235$ for an iPhone 4s.
    For the people living in the U.S.A. this must be a shocking price, but here in Italy it's just the official selling price for the 64GB model (to you 849$, 386$ less). That's a huge difference. Too huge. I mean, someone could say that you have to consider the taxes, the market, the currency, etc., but it still remains a BIG ********** difference. I feel like Apple considers us like cash cows to be milked to death.
    How do you feel? Do you think such a difference is justified?

2. wpotere Guest

Without knowing exactly what that entails, no. It is most likely your tax, plus import fees and the cost of shipping that you are paying extra. When I lived in Germany it was not that uncommon to pay way above and beyond for electronics but most of it was VAT.

3. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

As long as Apple is paying taxes on the price to our government :D hehe. Joking aside, it might be your government taxing the price of the phone which results in the huge price difference for example a Mercedes GLK 350 cost me about 42,000 Usd but if I bought the exact same thing in china it will cost me around 100,000 due to government imposed taxes.

4. rk25123 thread starter macrumors regular

You're right about the taxes, which are simply tremendous around here (unfortunately our government is entirely made of pigs who's only occupation is to think of new ways to steal money from us citizens), but even adding our super 21% VAT you'd get a price of 1027$, leaving a 208$ AMT (Apple Milking Tax).

5. wpotere Guest

You are still leaving out shipping and import taxes etc... There is more to it than just the tax. There is also the fluctuation between the dollar and euro that will affect the price.

6. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Nope, Apple like most other smart companies keep most of their cash offshore to avoid US's tax.

7. zodiaque macrumors member

well thats not true because in belgium the prices are 639€,749€,859€ for the iPhones.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

WOW, This sounds like our US government and the low life unions that are ruining OUR country:eek:

9. rk25123 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought that shipping and import taxes where already taken into account in the U.S. price since iPhones are produced in China and therefore there shouldn't be a huge difference for that aspect.

10. wpotere Guest

No, it still has to be imported into YOUR country. It is your government that is driving the price up, not Apple.

As to the Belgium comment above, read this post. The euro is still taken into consideration when setting the price as is the rest of what I have talked about.
    There is more to it than just one or two things and every country will be different.

11. farmermac macrumors 6502a

You are forgetting the burlesconi tax :-D

Apples probably has to pay a lot more to be in business in Italy, per employee - generous benefit package, 6 weeks vacation, etc. that's the price to pay so that your fellow countrymen can live a good life.

12. rk25123 thread starter macrumors regular

I highly doubt that the iPhones destinated to the European market will ever touch U.S. soil, they're produced in China, so what would be the point of importing them in the States if the final destination is Europe?! My guess is that they come directly from China for both U.S. and Europe, so the shipping and import fees shouldn't make such a huge difference.

13. wpotere Guest

It is irrelevant where they came from or what soil they touch. The company is a US based corporation and YOUR country is charging Apple a fee to IMPORT the phones into your country. That cost is passed on to you to pay, not the company. Import fees and tax vary from country to country and you pay that.

I'm not going to get into an import lesson here. Google it and learn for yourself.

14. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

You seem to want to blame Apple for this; you should blaming your politicians and your fellow countrymen, who have become absolutely spoiled by the generosity of your welfare state. Italy is the next in line to go broke, right after Greece is done. Nobody wants to buy Italian debt now; so you guys are about to really be up the creek.

15. rk25123 thread starter macrumors regular

It's Berlusconi, not burlesconi. Please, show some respect for the man, despite what you foreigners think, he's a kick-ass clown.

They'd definitely have to pay more if they had business here in Italy, but apart from very few Apple Stores they've got nothing. So no, that's not it.

16. wpotere Guest

LOL, you really are in denial of the cost required to bring anything into your country. It isn't Apple.... :roll eyes:

Here, FedEx put together a nice little page on it.

http://www.fedex.com/us/international/irc/profiles/irc_it_profile.html?gtmcc=us

Give it a read and then you will understand how many people have their hands in money barrel that you are paying for. This happens in every country but Italy is really bad at having high fees and taxes.

17. rk25123 thread starter macrumors regular

I wouldn't be so harsh with your critics, your country risks default too and with today's global economy we're all in the same boat.

----------

I do know of import fees, taxes, etc., I just don't think they make all the difference.

18. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I'm sure that Apple gets about the same amount of money for an Italian phone as they do a US phone or any other country. Any differences in price from country to country are going to your government.

In the USA keep in mind that we do not have a national sales tax / VAT / GST. All product taxes are local (state and smaller governments). There are places in the USA where a $649 phone will cost $649 (Oregon, Montana, New Hampshire, etc. have no sales tax). Local sales tax can be as much as 10% in other areas.

19. wpotere Guest

Think or know? Think only implies you are guessing which is what you are doing. Find out the fees and do the math, then you can blame the proper people.

20. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Are you buying off contract/full retail? Regardless that's way too much to be paying for a phone. I still cringe at the $849 they charge for the 64GB here in the US, as the thought of paying that much for an iPhone is just bananas to me.

Have you considered having a friend/family member purchasing one here in the US and have it shipped to you? Not sure how much that will save you buy probably still cheaper than the $1200 in Italy I hope.

21. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

Until your prices come down on the Lamborghini, then we won't come down on the IPhone :p

22. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Apple Inc. is an American company. Therefore when being imported to your country it doesn't matter where it is actually produced it is a part of America's gross national product and is considered as such when being imported to European markets.

23. rk25123 thread starter macrumors regular

:D Actually I think you already pay a Lamborghini a lot less than we do! (here a Murcielago starts from 397.000$)

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ask Silvio why:D