Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that Steve Jobs' funeral, a "small private gathering", is taking place today, two days after Jobs passed away at the age of 56.

jobs_tribute_soho.jpg

Tributes to Steve Jobs at Apple's SoHo retail store in Manhattan (Thanks, Chris)

While neither Apple nor the Jobs family is planning a public memorial service, Apple CEO Tim Cook noted in his email to company employees on Wednesday, that Apple will hold an event for Apple staff to celebrate Jobs' life.
There is no public memorial planned for Mr. Jobs's death, said an Apple spokesman.

In a letter to Apple's employees on Wednesday, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said that the company is "planning a celebration of Steve's extraordinary life" for staff that will take place soon.
Fans of Apple and Steve Jobs have of course taken memorial services into their own hands, setting up impromptu displays of flowers, messages, and other items at Apple retail stores around the world.

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Funeral Today, No Public Memorial Event Planned

elhungarian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Rip. Thoughts and prayers out to his family.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
I've never been so excited and sad at the same time as I am this week.

R.I.P Steve :apple:

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
Steve, see you on the next plane of existence. Hopefully you will have some cool stuff waiting for us.

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Still cannot believe he is gone, knew it was coming, just didn't want to believe it was going to happen.

You will be missed.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Two thoughts.

First, I hope the service is meaningful for the people it's most important to--his family, particularly his children, and his close friends.

Second, I think the "public" service is going on all around us, as evidenced by the outpouring of thoughts and emotions on the web, as well as the impromptu celebrations of flowers, symbols, and so on, at all sorts of places ranging from Apple stores to the middle of streets.

I wish his family all the best, and extend my sincerest condolences to them, again, especially his children.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Still in tears over this. Never did i think I could be this saddened by the death of someone I never even met.

Rest in peace Steve. You changed the world and made a bigger impact on our lives than anyone have done before you, and probably ever will. We will never forget you.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
I never thought I'd shed a tear over someone I had never met, but I've been proven wrong. I'm merely a wife and a mom of two, but was certainly overly effected by the passing of Steve.

Our thoughts and prayers to his family. You will be greatly missed and surely thought of as Apple develops your hopes and dreams over the next 4 years. Your legacy was left in capable hands.

Tonight may have to be a Pirates of Silicon Valley night. Rest in peace Steve. Your influence upon this world was a great one.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
Where is Steve Jobs being buried? On private property?

Buddhist tradition is that the body is burnt so it will be put in a jug which his wife will disperse as she sees fit

I doubt there will be a public grave or anything, it would become a shrine for Apple fans and not a private place for the family

Although I do think that the jug should take pride of place in either 1 Infinite Loop or in the centre part of the new spaceship building

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I never thought I'd shed a tear over someone I had never met, but I've been proven wrong. I'm merely a wife and a mom of two, but was certainly overly effected by the passing of Steve.

Our thoughts and prayers to his family. You will be greatly missed and surely thought of as Apple develops your hopes and dreams over the next 4 years. Your legacy was left in capable hands.

Tonight may have to be a Pirates of Silicon Valley night. Rest in peace Steve. Your influence upon this world was a great one.

Watch 'Triumph of the Nerds' instead, much better.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
It won't sink in for me that he is gone forever till the next big keynote, presumably iPad 3 early next year, knowing there will never be another Steve keynote it will sink in for me then, still feels like a bad dream and someone can pinch me and I wake up and he is really still alive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.